2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloe L

Valued Member
Dec 24, 2020
Might not be the most appropriate place to post this but have people heard of Clubhouse? And would TCLA consider making a room on it for users to discuss orally/talk about specific topics on there? Think it’d be great to hear people’s ideas through their own voice but I also get it might conflict with TCLA’s premium services so no worries if not !
@Jaysen
I live on Clubhouse 😂 Loads of great law chats

Does anyone have any experience with Top Score in ACs? I googled how the platform works and you sort of get numbered according to your performance? Doing that stressed me out
I've used Top Score for 3 different assessments - I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. It isn't really a scoring system - you'll be doing written exercises on it (most likely). For one firm I was writing a report-style memo, and for another, I was writing a variety of different emails.

Treat it more like a browser-based word processor, where you will get to access files and questions for you to answer - there isn't any trickery going on I promise!

mls1803

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2021
I had an AC with them back in 2019. I was both an intense day but an enjoyable day. Intense more due to the fact that you're networking a lot of the day than that any of the tasks are difficult. It may well have changed since I did it but when I did there was a written task for an hour (easy stuff regarding advice a client relating to conduct etc.). There was a group exercise/rolled into a negotiation exercise which was good fun and got us talking about organising an event. This was then presented to the 'main group'. My advice is to be smiley, listen, and be prepared to take the initiative in group work. Feel free to ask any more questions and good luck!
This is really helpful- thank you so much!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any experience with Top Score in ACs? I googled how the platform works and you sort of get numbered according to your performance? Doing that stressed me out

For anyone using Topscore for an assessment centre, I can send you a link to a video that explains its functionality.

I also have a PDF if anyone wants it - I can’t attach it here as the document size is too big. Email me at [email protected] and I will send it to you.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: PF'noooo! and Holly

Sammie

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker :) I'm a little stuck on how to interpret/answer the following Qs for the Arnold & Porter vac scheme app and was hoping you could shed some light, please. They're worded slightly differently to typical motivation/teamwork Qs in that:

Q1) isn't referring to motivation in law so not sure how to answer generally but relevantly; Q2) specifically says "taken responsibility for others" (not sure if that means an example of me being leader OR a failed teamwork example where I helped others to resolve something that went wrong); Q3) not sure about the wording at all here

Q1. What motivates you? Please support this with an example of where you demonstrated your drive and motivation. 300 words

Q2. Give an example of where you have taken responsibility for others - describe the situation and your contribution. 300 words

Q3. How do you like to work in a team? Please give supporting evidence of this. 300 words

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Might not be the most appropriate place to post this but have people heard of Clubhouse? And would TCLA consider making a room on it for users to discuss orally/talk about specific topics on there? Think it’d be great to hear people’s ideas through their own voice but I also get it might conflict with TCLA’s premium services so no worries if not !
    @Jaysen
    I haven’t used clubhouse much but open to it! We’d be more likely to support something that’s student-led rather than running one ourselves for the time being (I generally just prefer content that sticks around).

If you or anyone else wants to run with this though, feel free to drop me a PM with your ideas and we can see if there’s a way to help out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey @Jessica Booker :) I'm a little stuck on how to interpret/answer the following Qs for the Arnold & Porter vac scheme app and was hoping you could shed some light, please. They're worded slightly differently to typical motivation/teamwork Qs in that:

Q1) isn't referring to motivation in law so not sure how to answer generally but relevantly; Q2) specifically says "taken responsibility for others" (not sure if that means an example of me being leader OR a failed teamwork example where I helped others to resolve something that went wrong); Q3) not sure about the wording at all here

Q1. What motivates you? Please support this with an example of where you demonstrated your drive and motivation. 300 words

Q2. Give an example of where you have taken responsibility for others - describe the situation and your contribution. 300 words

Q3. How do you like to work in a team? Please give supporting evidence of this. 300 words
    1) think about what motivates you to do something well or to a high level and then use an example of when you have done that.

2) doesn’t have to be either of the examples you have mentioned. It could just be a team working example where you have had to work with, nurture, get the best out of people. Could also be more a client led situation too.

3) it’s not a trick question. Think about how you like to work in teams. Do you tend to take a type of role, what do you like about working in a team environments/situation. Once you have identified that, think about a good example you have.

Reactions: JoNo

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone have tips to stop yourself waffling in an interview? I feel like once I start talking, I just do not stop until the boredom/annoyance on the other person's face gets to boiling point 😩

I think the trick to not waffling is structure. Make sure that for particularly long answers you're using ample pointers like "Firstly, secondly, ..." so that it's easy for the interviewer to follow your train of thought and not zone out from confusion. When preparing your answers for typical motivational questions, try to be as critical as possible about what needs saying and what doesn't. I always tried to keep my answers to covering a maximum of three main points with some elaboration or examples for each one.

On the boredom/annoyance point, try not to read into facial expressions too much. I've had successful interviews where the interviewer gave nothing away and generally looked like the interview was the last place they wanted to be. I've also had unsuccessful interviews where the partners were smiling and nodding along non-stop. There really is no telling honestly.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey,

In case study/written exercises are you supposed to cite which document you got particular information from? I.e.,
    Company X seems to be a more lucrative investment, it reported a 2.4% rise in revenue in Q2 2020 (document 9).

Or is it okay to just say 'Company X seems to be a more lucrative investment, it reported a 2.4% rise in revenue', without citing the particular document I gathered that information from?
    I don't think it's necessary just because it really doesn't add much to your answer by way of analysis. I would also be wary of doing this because especially in a time pressured environment there's a high chance you could end up citing the documents incorrectly and let yourself down on the attention to detail front.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: PF'noooo!
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.