2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CareerChanger

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    I may have applied a little late to dechert and not received such an email (or any email)
    Awkward Cardi B GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Wow
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Luiz1001 and Kablahc

HopeLaw1997

Feb 24, 2021
    I have an assessment centre (my first one ahhh!!!) tomorrow and I’ve been thinking about the CA question. I’ve been reading around crytpocurrencies, both with Tesla’s investment in Bitcoin as well as China’s new cryptocurrency, and also in more recent days about SPACs.
    is there one which you think would be better than the other? Or does it not really matter?
    obviously with the budget release today I’m also making sure I can talk about that but I want to pick a topic and feel confident to talk about it ! @Jaysen @Dheepa

thank you so much 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Tavistocksfinest

Star Member
    Jan 3, 2020
    Wasn't sure where to post this so just thought I'd post in here. If you've trained at a good firm, how competitive is the process of joining other firms as an associate? (Obviously depends on the firms, but just a general idea of the competitiveness of that process)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I have an assessment centre (my first one ahhh!!!) tomorrow and I’ve been thinking about the CA question. I’ve been reading around crytpocurrencies, both with Tesla’s investment in Bitcoin as well as China’s new cryptocurrency, and also in more recent days about SPACs.
    is there one which you think would be better than the other? Or does it not really matter?
    obviously with the budget release today I’m also making sure I can talk about that but I want to pick a topic and feel confident to talk about it ! @Jaysen @Dheepa

thank you so much 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
    Hey - would this be with a view to answer variations of 'what business news story are you interested in and why?', or are you thinking about which topics you might be directly asked about in your interview?

• 🤝
    Reactions: HopeLaw1997

HopeLaw1997

Feb 24, 2021
    Hey - would this be with a view to answer variations of 'what business news story are you interested in and why?', or are you thinking about which topics you might be directly asked about in your interview?
    The former. I’m preparing for a question along the lines of ‘what commercial news are you interested in’ or as you said, ‘what business news story have you been looking into’ etc.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The former. I’m preparing for a question along the lines of ‘what commercial news are you interested in’ or as you said, ‘what business news story have you been looking into’ etc.

The answer is easy then! Whichever you are the most interested in :).

I'd also think about which topic you'd be comfortable answering follow up questions on, but this will generally align with the topic you are most interested in.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

thank you so much 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Congrats on your assessment centre! Completely agree with Jaysen, it really doesn't matter what news story you choose as long as you are genuinely interested and feel confident enough to discuss it in depth. The budget might be a bit of tricky one to prepare for with enough depth since it is only being released today and finding additional information or opinions on it in time for tomorrow might be tough. But again, if it is what you're the most interested in, go for it! Good luck for the AC! ☺️

HopeLaw1997

Feb 24, 2021
    Congrats on your assessment centre! Completely agree with Jaysen, it really doesn't matter what news story you choose as long as you are genuinely interested and feel confident enough to discuss it in depth. The budget might be a bit of tricky one to prepare for with enough depth since it is only being released today and finding additional information or opinions on it in time for tomorrow might be tough. But again, if it is what you're the most interested in, go for it! Good luck for the AC! ☺️
    Thank you so much!!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Very true!!
    I suppose my worry comes from the fact the law firm is a leading PE firm so I feel as though talking about SPACs would be more relevant. Thank you so much for your advice :)

If the question is which story you are most interested in, you're absolutely fine to choose a topic that genuinely interests you. I think too often candidates think that everything they say needs to link back to a law firm - but that's precisely why they'll have separate questions asking about your motivations.

Speaking frankly, I would say most answers to commercial questions like these are uninspiring because candidates have taken the question to mean 'what should I say that will impress a firm?'. If you can actually find a topic for this question that you love and talk about it with passion, it'll stand out at interview and be refreshing for the interviewer.

HopeLaw1997

Feb 24, 2021
    If the question is which story you are most interested in, you're absolutely fine to choose a topic that genuinely interests you. I think too often candidates think that everything they say needs to link back to a law firm - but that's precisely why they'll have separate questions asking about your motivations.

Speaking frankly, I would say most answers to commercial questions like these are uninspiring because candidates have taken the question to mean 'what should I say that will impress a firm?'. If you can actually find a topic for this question that you love and talk about it with passion, it'll stand out at interview and be refreshing for the interviewer.
    This is great advice. Thank you very much!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    has anyone heard back from irwin mitchell london office (PLS) ???
    I had an email last week that said: "This year we received an unprecedented amount of applications. This means we’ll be reviewing applications for the London office until Easter, video interviews will take place in April and the assessment centre will be in May. We understand that you’re keen to know the outcome of your application and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible."

Reactions: jam1999
    Wasn't sure where to post this so just thought I'd post in here. If you've trained at a good firm, how competitive is the process of joining other firms as an associate? (Obviously depends on the firms, but just a general idea of the competitiveness of that process)
    I can't speak from experience, as I am merely a future trainee. However, I can say that from everyone I have spoken to, the NQ market is far more buoyant than the 'TC market', for want of a better descriptor.

If you have trained at a good firm, it is relatively easy to move between firms - however, bear in mind that 1) you might grow roots in a firm, and not want to leave, 2) the firm that you wish to leave and the firm you wish to join may have substantially different cultures/working habits, which you may or may not be amicable to, and 3) your qualification area will determine a lot of options (not that you should necessarily decide your qualification practice area based on this - just something to point out.

But, yes, in short, train at a good/top firm, and virtually all avenues are open (not to mention alternative paths like in-house/non-law careers).

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020

thank you so much 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

I'd say that it's important to be able to be interested in it, and bonus points if you have a personal understanding of it as well!

For instance, I recently shared about Tesla's investment in Bitcoin and it's wider effects on Tesla's long-term growth narrative + effects on DeFi development and mining center development too! I connected it to myself by joking about how when I went into Tesla in 2014 I knew that Musk had bigger visions beyond just self-driving cars, and how I've used Coinbase and DeFi applications for a fair amount of time and how I appreciate and value the technology. Also giving counter points to my own interests makes it seem like you're giving a review on something that is personal to you.

From my experiences, partners were interested to hear something you're passionate about, but also something that might be new to them - something that they haven't heard before, especially if it comes to something as radically new as DeFi and crypto millionaires!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.