Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If law firms call you, do they usually on a private number? I've got a missed call but can't call them back - worried its the firm I'm waiting to hear on!
Could be if it is via a switch board. Could just be one of those annoying sales calls though too 😬

One of the biggest issues for GR people is people don’t allow voicemails to be used.... if you can set up voicemail on your phone, do so. Stops these kind of issues generally.

Reactions: Jaysen and qwertay

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I have an assessment centre (my first one ahhh!!!) tomorrow and I’ve been thinking about the CA question. I’ve been reading around crytpocurrencies, both with Tesla’s investment in Bitcoin as well as China’s new cryptocurrency, and also in more recent days about SPACs.
    is there one which you think would be better than the other? Or does it not really matter?
    obviously with the budget release today I’m also making sure I can talk about that but I want to pick a topic and feel confident to talk about it ! @Jaysen @Dheepa

thank you so much 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
    Biggest thing is to answer on what one you're the most confident about.

If it were me, I would personally explore the crypto side of things but that's primarily driven by the fact that I have an interest in this from a few angles, also believe that there are more interesting legal discussions that can arise from it but that is just a personal opinion and others may disagree.

Some help in structuring your CA responses can also be found in my interview article available via my signature, hopefully that will help. Best of luck!

Reactions: HopeLaw1997

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If law firms call you, do they usually on a private number? I've got a missed call but can't call them back - worried its the firm I'm waiting to hear on!

Yup, its usually a private number. I've missed loads of calls from firms (because my phone is always on silent mode) but they always call back! And if they don't get through the second and third time (as most firms never did with me lol) they will email! Don't worry too much!

• Love
    Reactions: SF1234 and qwertay

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Is it a big no no to have some notes during an interview? Little prompts or billet points etc.
    I always have notes on one half of my screen and the zoom call on the other half. Just write them in bullet points and have it in a large font size so its easy to glance as a reminder and you dont have to read

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    apart from accelerating investment in tech and offering a wider range of services (to compete w the Big 4), can anyone think of anything else law firms can do at the moment to remain competitive?
    Continuing to develop things like new, nuanced AFAs is one i normally discuss here. Also, looking at increased digitisation or use of cheaper non-London offices for certain jobs is another consideration.

Reactions: C

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I did it, as long as youre subtle. I also took notes when I asked questions about the firm cause the info a partner gives you is always gonna be 100x better and more honest than chambers

If you're able to get it, the Horizon daily brief from The Lawyer magazine is unbelievably good for long-term structural trends on different issues affecting the legal sector, and sometimes goes in depth on problems etc facing some firms in particular. A few days ago for instance, they were talking about Latham and Slaughters' real estate moves throughout the pandemic. Yesterday, they were talking about Hausfeld and increased competition (ironically) in the competition litigation market. It's definitely given me a lot of food for thought that I hadn't considered before. Now if only a law firm would invite me to interview so I could show it off!

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Anyone else at this AS event?

I'm in - but not sure how useful this will be compared to all the pre-vac-scheme-prep materials in this forum.

I'll be leaving early though, for another appointment!

*edit: i really like how there's the AS foundation to buy people equipment for their vac scheme if they can't afford it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.