2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    TAYLOR WESSING VAC SCHEME 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 GUYS FR I AM SOBBING I HAVE WANTED THEM FOR SO MANY YEARS!!!!

Two years ago a firm called me 'slightly odd and too loud', last year I got no vac schemes and this year.... this year I've had three offers, all with glowing feedback 😭😭😭 Pls never stop trying friends, you will make it ✨
    Amazing news! So, so happy for you :D

• Love
    Reactions: cmaj

E1998

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    I just wondered whether anyone else was in a similar position to me for the CMS Academy programme...
    I was offered a place on the Academy and I was just giving my contract a final read-through before sending it off and saw the words 'You will be invited to a virtual Open Day, due to take place on Wednesday 14 April 2021.' I assumed that this would be optional (given an invitation can usually be declined) and because it was called an open day. I am unable to make this date as I have already accepted a place on a different firm's Easter scheme. I rang grad recruitment just to double-check and they said that if I can't make the day, I must withdraw my application.
    This was a huge shock to me as they didn't mention it at any point during the recruitment cycle and by blocking out that time in Easter as well as 3 weeks over the Summer, it really requires candidates to put all their eggs in one basket with CMS. I can understand why they do this, but it seems pretty unfair to me and I am devastated that I will have to forfeit my place after being made an offer because of a single open day. If anyone else has been caught out by this, I would love to hear from you 😢😢😢

Has anyone else received an email from Travers stating that the process is still ongoing and they hope to confirm the outcome of the application within the next month?
    Got this today as well! Can't decide if it's basically a nice way of saying it will be a PFO lol

Reactions: AlRJ, YJ and Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How long is too long for a discussion on a business story? I'm struggling to give an in-depth analysis that takes less than 5 and a half mins
    Way too long in my opinion. It isn't about saying things in-depth. Its about pulling out the most pertinent pieces of a story. I'd aim for less than 3 minutes! The interviewer will always ask further question to probe in more detail if needed.

Reactions: S87

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    TAYLOR WESSING VAC SCHEME 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 GUYS FR I AM SOBBING I HAVE WANTED THEM FOR SO MANY YEARS!!!!

Two years ago a firm called me 'slightly odd and too loud', last year I got no vac schemes and this year.... this year I've had three offers, all with glowing feedback 😭😭😭 Pls never stop trying friends, you will make it ✨
    Amazing, well done you!

• Love
    Reactions: cmaj

isst500

Standard Member
  • Feb 4, 2021
    Soooo frustrated, my W&C interview was going so well until the last question which completely threw me and I had no clue what to say. So annoying throwing away an application you've worked so hard on in literally 20 seconds. Can only blame myself though for not doing enough research.
    Hey! If it makes you feel any better I felt exactly the same way after my VI (presuming this is the stage you just completed) and still made it to AC, don't lose hope!

• 🤝
    Reactions: corplaw123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Soooo frustrated, my W&C interview was going so well until the last question which completely threw me and I had no clue what to say. So annoying throwing away an application you've worked so hard on in literally 20 seconds. Can only blame myself though for not doing enough research.
    I wouldn't presume you have thrown it away based on this alone.

• 🤝
    Reactions: corplaw123

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    How long is too long for a discussion on a business story? I'm struggling to give an in-depth analysis that takes less than 5 and a half mins
    5 mins is is about what I took to answer this, never went against me. It's what I was advised by a mentor at the time who was a commercial firm partner and experienced interviewer.

Reactions: frksch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.