2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyglot

Star Member
Jan 24, 2021
I'm thinking more of a PhD programme, which involves very little class time and mainly research and writing a thesis. I'm specifically wondering if there's anything disallowing it
Having done both a PhD and GDL/LPC (not at the same time!), I don't meant to be rude but even asking this question shows a certain lack of awareness of what these qualifications entail. And I had jobs/children/other commitments both through the PhD and the GDL/LPC, so I am not saying you can't do other things while studying full time. These course are demanding, but in different ways. You will not be able to have enough head space for both if you are doing all of them full-time.

I'm guessing you are planning a humanities PhD, since a science one would require time for practical aspects of research, which would definitely mean you could not study for another full time degree at the same time.

Nobody will prevent you from doing both course, especially if you are paying for them. Your PhD supervisor will likely try to dissuade you from this idea, unless you do not tell them, in which case you will run into problems when you need to explain why you are not writing your thesis if they do not know that you are doing law at the same time. GDL/LPC course providers will let you enrol and pay the fees too. It is also worth remembering attrition rate for humanities PhDs is 50% - worth considering what it would mean to you if you start a course but don't finish, for whatever reason.

I worked in academia for years after my PhD, then switched to law. PM me if you want a chat and I may be able to offer some more specific advice.

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    TAYLOR WESSING VAC SCHEME 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 GUYS FR I AM SOBBING I HAVE WANTED THEM FOR SO MANY YEARS!!!!

Two years ago a firm called me 'slightly odd and too loud', last year I got no vac schemes and this year.... this year I've had three offers, all with glowing feedback 😭😭😭 Pls never stop trying friends, you will make it ✨

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    What is the best way to tell a law firm, which has two vac scheme dates that you have another vac scheme with another firm (with only one date) and the one of the dates clash? Is it best to just be honest about it? I don’t want to seem like I don’t care. Both schemes are in the summer but I feel like it’s best to tell them in advance. Any suggestions? @Jessica Booker @Jaysen

Assuming that you have offers for the two vac schemes I would definitely just be honest about it and tell Graduate Recruitment of the firm with 2 vac scheme dates as soon as you can, so there is a chance they can allocate you to your preferred scheme before they run out of spaces. They will understand that candidates may have more than one vacation scheme they want to attend, and in my experience tend to be as accommodating as possible. It wont be held against you at all.

On your point on seeming that it may come across that you don't care, I would say when your communicating this message ensure that you highlight how enthusiastic and committed you are to that firm, but also mention that you do want to diversify your options/gain more legal experience etc. Thats perfectly reasonable.

If you don't have offers for both yet I would perhaps wait until you are in that position though, in the interest of saving both yourself and Grad Rec time.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dheepa and TC4me

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    TAYLOR WESSING VAC SCHEME 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 GUYS FR I AM SOBBING I HAVE WANTED THEM FOR SO MANY YEARS!!!!

Two years ago a firm called me 'slightly odd and too loud', last year I got no vac schemes and this year.... this year I've had three offers, all with glowing feedback 😭😭😭 Pls never stop trying friends, you will make it ✨

Massive congratulations! Very well deserved!

• Love
    Reactions: cmaj and FL0011

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I'm thinking more of a PhD programme, which involves very little class time and mainly research and writing a thesis. I'm specifically wondering if there's anything disallowing it
    You want to do a PhD, GDL and LPC at the same time??

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    What is the best way to tell a law firm, which has two vac scheme dates that you have another vac scheme with another firm (with only one date) and the one of the dates clash? Is it best to just be honest about it? I don’t want to seem like I don’t care. Both schemes are in the summer but I feel like it’s best to tell them in advance. Any suggestions? @Jessica Booker @Jaysen
    Hiya, I would definitely suggest telling the firm- if the firm like you enough to make an offer they will definitely try and accommodate you if they can and the sooner you tell them the more likely they are to be able to! In terms of coming across uncaring, I would just stress how keen you are on the firm because it if perfectly reasonable to want to do both if you can! But saying this, I would not tell the firm until they make you can offer because it's only then that it's worth asking them to accommodate you!

Reactions: TC4me

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What stage of the recruitment process are you at? This will help me understand how best to approach this conversation.

Emily K

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 29, 2018

This is amazing, HUGE congrats!!!! Hope you're celebrating today!! ☺️

• Love
    Reactions: cmaj

TC4me

Aug 3, 2020
    Assuming that you have offers for the two vac schemes I would definitely just be honest about it and tell Graduate Recruitment of the firm with 2 vac scheme dates as soon as you can, so there is a chance they can allocate you to your preferred scheme before they run out of spaces. They will understand that candidates may have more than one vacation scheme they want to attend, and in my experience tend to be as accommodating as possible. It wont be held against you at all.

On your point on seeming that it may come across that you don't care, I would say when your communicating this message ensure that you highlight how enthusiastic and committed you are to that firm, but also mention that you do want to diversify your options/gain more legal experience etc. Thats perfectly reasonable.

If you don't have offers for both yet I would perhaps wait until you are in that position though, in the interest of saving both yourself and Grad Rec time.
    Hiya, I would definitely suggest telling the firm- if the firm like you enough to make an offer they will definitely try and accommodate you if they can and the sooner you tell them the more likely they are to be able to! In terms of coming across uncaring, I would just stress how keen you are on the firm because it if perfectly reasonable to want to do both if you can! But saying this, I would not tell the firm until they make you can offer because it's only then that it's worth asking them to accommodate you!
    Thank you both, that’s really helpful!

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020

Congrats! Can I ask when was your AC?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019

Omg congratulations ⭐️ So incredibly well deserved ❤️

• Love

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020

you are amazing! Well done!!!!

• Love

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all, slightly random but if anyone has done a K&E Open Day could you please drop me a PM? Thank you! ☺️

Just replying to let people know that I’m all good with this now. Thank you to everyone that offered to help, y’all are the best. 💓

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.