2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SF1234

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 3, 2020
Neither did I. Didn't think I could even make it past Kirkland's application stage let alone end up getting a job. Feel like a cat who has somehow fumbled into a lion's den lol. They converted it after my first partner interview. I thought I had completely flopped but I guess they liked me idk.
Sorry just to clarify, you applied for a VS, did the assessment day and then the partner interview and were offered a TC?
Well done!! That’s really amazing, I hope you can celebrate fully.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice how to prepare for the written exercise task during an assessment centre? Or is there really no way to prepare for it? Its my first one - thanks for any help!!
    Depends on what sort of exercise it is, really! If it's a case style style exercise, you might want to check out my article on the topic, available by the link in my signature.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    So went to a talk last night where you could speak with WBD’s grad rec team afterward, and it was interesting to see how much they obviously trust the results of the pymetric tests as accurate representations of the applicants.

(They were also very clear that if an individual doesn’t end up pairing with the required attributes on the tests that they’re application would NOT be discounted!)

And obviously this would be pure speculation, but people who completed the tests, what “unique skills” do we think they’re looking for??

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    So went to a talk last night where you could speak with WBD’s grad rec team afterward, and it was interesting to see how much they obviously trust the results of the pymetric tests as accurate representations of the applicants.

(They were also very clear that if an individual doesn’t end up pairing with the required attributes on the tests that they’re application would NOT be discounted!)

And obviously this would be pure speculation, but people who completed the tests, what “unique skills” do we think they’re looking for??
    This is so interesting to hear because although the unique traits I got on the WBD Pymetrics test were all pretty good in terms of painting me quite nicely, I just don’t think some parts of it were accurate in depicting my personality at all! It’s also quite interesting comparing them with my Arctic Shores game based assessment results which basically said the opposite about my personality haha!

My most unique were: 1) Risk Tolerance 2) Focus 3) Decision Making :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Hele25

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone, I have been toiling away. In total:

I have applied to 44 firms.
    I have received approx. 37 rejections.
    I have been invited to 4 ACs.
    I have only 7 applications pending.

BUT. None of that really matters anymore. Kirkland & Ellis just got back to me. I've been offered a training contract after an accelerated VS application. It's hard to describe how giddy I am right now. Just want to thank everyone on this forum. You are all lovely people who have been so wonderful, helpful and supportive. Special shout-outs to people who were kind enough to take the time to respond to private messages. If anyone want's advice that I have found to be useful, I am more than happy to answer any questions - just DM me!

For the nerds like myself who want a more detailed breakdown, I did make an excel sheet of my progress this application cycle. It does a good job of illustrating that no matter how much red you see, there is green at the end of the tunnel! Keep well guys, thanks again :)

View attachment 3103

I know I'm so incredibly late to this but huge huge congrats! I gasped when I read this because Kirkland so rarely give out direct TCs. You really must have absolutely blown them away. So so so incredibly happy for you!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

Wait so they obviously trust the pymetrics but then won't discount your app if you don't match what they want?

FYI, mine were: 1. emotion 2. decision making 3. risk tolerance :)

Reactions: Hele25

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    This is so interesting to hear because although the unique traits I got on the WBD Pymetrics test were all pretty good in terms of painting me quite nicely, I just don’t think some parts of it were accurate in depicting my personality at all! It’s also quite interesting comparing them with my Arctic Shores game based assessment results which basically said the opposite about my personality haha!
    No, I completely agree with you, whilst not objectively bad I didn’t feel my results were completely accurate 🤷🏻‍♀️ But good to know they’re only partly considered :)
    Wait so they obviously trust the pymetrics but then won't discount your app if you don't match what they want?

FYI, mine were: 1. emotion 2. decision making 3. risk tolerance :)
    Yes, one individual was super stressed because they said their results were basically polar opposite of who they were, and grad rec just said not to worry because whilst they are part of your overall application, your results are not utilised as a form of screening.
    So if you didn’t meet their required results for whatever reason you aren’t automatically rejected as a form of thinning their remaining applications, if that makes sense? :)

Super interesting results :)
    mine were focus, fairness and emotion.

• Love
    Reactions: OB and SamTam99

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    They are in a massive PR sh**..so I am not surprised. But pay attention as they tend to go back on their word! So use a solicitor and email (words fly ink stays). I did my LPC at BPP..I did not have a positive experience!

I was worried about this but they have now confirmed that the fees would be covered in an email.

.... um did they mention they wanted to fund anyone else's LPC

happy parks and recreation GIF
    Haha I highly doubt I was the only person to be offered this - you never know!

I have now confirmed my place and they are sorting the IT side out. I will officially be a brand ambassador/social influencer (their words, not mine) for BPP - really did not expect this!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    I was wondering if any of you know how I could gain some legal work experience? It's looking more and more like I won't get a vacation scheme this year but really need some actual experience, not sure if covid has prevented any shadowing from taking place so any advice would be incredibly welcome! e.g. does anyone know if legal summer internships are still open/a thing?

Reactions: Samantha

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I was wondering if any of you know how I could gain some legal work experience? It's looking more and more like I won't get a vacation scheme this year but really need some actual experience, not sure if covid has prevented any shadowing from taking place so any advice would be incredibly welcome! e.g. does anyone know if legal summer internships are still open/a thing?
    Contact local law firms. Drop an email/CV to office managers/partners and perhaps state what areas you're interested in doing experience within. You may not get a response from all of them but it worked for me

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Just to point out that you don't need legal work experience to secure a vacation scheme. Soft skills developed in non-legal work experience is just as valuable for applications, if not even more so.

In my own interviews this cycle, I've only had one partner ask me once about a week of work experience I did in a law firm. The rest have focused on other roles and responsibilities I have held.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Then is a completely random question but why does everyone say that MC firms are having a hard time breaking into the US market when from my perspective they’re doing quite well... CC and linklaters both rank higher than Shearman & Sterling in the Vault rankings for US-wide so are they really struggling that much??

I don't think league tables are necessarily the most representative of how well a firm is doing.

There are many many US firms that don't even have a strong presence in London/relatively unknown in the London market that are miles ahead of many of the US firms that do have a strong foothold here. So when thinking about breaking into the US market, remember that MC firms really are squaring against a really large range of firms. Another reason is because the relationships US firms have with their clients in the US run very very deep (some are incredibly political I think but I won't get into that lol). A lot of well known corporate lawyers in the US go into politics/end up holding very high ranking positions in huge companies in the US and that kind of long standing relationship is very difficult to compete with.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Just to point out that you don't need legal work experience to secure a vacation scheme. Soft skills developed in non-legal work experience is just as valuable for applications, if not even more so.

In my own interviews this cycle, I've only had one partner ask me once about a week of work experience I did in a law firm. The rest have focused on other roles and responsibilities I have held.
    Second this. I've had more questions about the restaurant job I did around vacations/LPC studies and my volunteering jobs than a week of work experience. A week really isn't anything to gain vast legal experience from anyway

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.