2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Guys what do you do if a firm has not responded to you but to others? I've chased via email and phone and nothing! (during the phone call grad rec said I should email them which I did right after our call) - do you keep trying or let it go? I find it so hard to let it go considering my efforts in writing the app.

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Thank you, I felt so horrible when I realised 😓 haven’t heard anything from them either so I’m expecting my PFO soon enough! Good luck with the rest of your applications, I hope you get some good news!! 😊X
Good news sooner than I thought 😂! Just got a next stage interview for another firm ☺️ Good news always feels better when you get bad news at the start good luck with AC if you haven’t heard from them I’d take that as good! xx

• 🏆
Reactions: collie_121

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Does anyone know if Aspiring Solicitors’ partnership with Harbottle & Lewis means you only need to submit the one question to AS? Or should you still do the usual application form through H&L as well?

Reactions: MS2000

MS2000

Star Member
  • Nov 20, 2020
    Does anyone know if Aspiring Solicitors’ partnership with Harbottle & Lewis means you only need to submit the one question to AS? Or should you still do the usual application form through H&L as well?
    My thinking is that if you are not accepted through the Aspiring Solicitors' pathway, you should still have an opportunity to apply directly to the firm as I think the deadline is in May?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Completed a TC interview for a certain tech-focused US firm (think VC) in September, the rejection only came through in December. Immediately emailed back to ask for feedback and only got a response yesterday to organise a feedback call for today. Call was confirmed for 2pm, only for me to be ghosted.....again.....

If you don't laugh you'll cry...
    Feedback is a PITA and the thing that gets pushed to the back of your to do list (unfortunately). It’s a crap excuse, but as someone who is regularly in that situation and has been regularly emailing people to tell them I need more time to get their feedback to them, I sympathise with the firm!

Reactions: 33c

sam970

Distinguished Member
    Feb 23, 2021
    Good news sooner than I thought 😂! Just got a next stage interview for another firm ☺️ Good news always feels better when you get bad news at the start good luck with AC if you haven’t heard from them I’d take that as good! xx
    That’s brilliant! Congratulations, good luck for it I hope you smash it! Exactly 😂it’s said so much but can get 1000s of rejections but only need that one yes! Let us know how it goes! 😊xx

Reactions: Legalmel_99

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    My thinking is that if you are not accepted through the Aspiring Solicitors' pathway, you should still have an opportunity to apply directly to the firm as I think the deadline is in May?
    That was my thinking too! I just wasn’t sure whether we should apply for both now or wait until AS get back

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    Currently preparing for an upcoming interview which will include a verbal commercial case study. However, it seems like we will not be receiving any documents/information on the case study ahead of the interview. Has anyone come up against this kind of on-the-spot case study in previous interviews? I'm trying to see the various forms this could take and would appreciate any insight/advice.

• Wow
    Reactions: FM302989

MS2000

Star Member
  • Nov 20, 2020
    That was my thinking too! I just wasn’t sure whether we should apply for both now or wait until AS get back
    Yeah I see. I am not completely sure about that, to be honest. I think I am going to hold out until AS reply only because I would not want to duplicate my application to the firm if AS do accept me. If that makes sense?

Reactions: Lumree

sydney

Mar 11, 2021
    Post-AC Penningtons... still waiting for them to put me out of my misery🤣
    Angry New York GIF

charotts1708

Oct 23, 2020
    Just had the most awful interview experience. It was my first ever interview, and I just flopped. You know when the words that leave your mouth don't match up to the ones in your head? The interviewers were lovely but I just felt sorry for them to be honest for having to listen to my waffle. Anyone had this experience before? Or any tips to try and forget about it and move on (inevitable PFO pending!)?
    Can definitely sympathise - my first AC this cycle was exactly like that (took 4 minutes to present a presentation that was supposed to be 10 minutes and then stumbled through the competency questions yikes) and it's disheartening but there will be other opportunities and hopefully good news!

I had genuinely given up on getting a VS this cycle after that rejection but something really unexpected came up and honestly I'm a firm believer in the fact that everything works itself out in the end.

If anything - at least you have the experience of what the interviews are like! And hopefully can get some feedback

• 🤝
    Reactions: Andrew M, nicole88 and G P

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Haha trust me, getting a PFO is really not fun! Spent the whole of yesterday beating myself up after a post-AC rejection
    Don't beat yourself up!!!!!! Every single rejection adds to your experience and strengthens you as a candidate. You worked hard for the AC and should be really proud of yourself. Make sure you've made a log of the day including questions you were asked and the answers you gave, if you can remember. This will be invaluable for your next AC, particularly if you reapply to that firm in the future. Also, make sure to get your feedback and build on the pointers they give you!!!

Reactions: ZaraB and breadpitt
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.