2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3795

I saw a comment earlier regarding a similar topic and was wondering if I could ask for a little guidance?

I have my first AC coming up however I’m struggling a bit in terms of how to prepare. I’ve got two very recent deals of the firm that I’m interested in, I’m just a bit unsure of what areas to read up on in regards for commercial awareness. How much does everyone prepare usually for an AC?

Reactions: sunflowerducks

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I saw a comment earlier regarding a similar topic and was wondering if I could ask for a little guidance?

I have my first AC coming up however I’m struggling a bit in terms of how to prepare. I’ve got two very recent deals of the firm that I’m interested in, I’m just a bit unsure of what areas to read up on in regards for commercial awareness. How much does everyone prepare usually for an AC?
    I would say be aware of key things going on in general at the minute, with more focus on areas which impact the firm's key practice areas! Aka the deals you've prepared for, look up news events and stories surrounding those and the practice areas they fall under - so it can all be linked in nicely in an answer!

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For those who applied for White and Case vacation scheme. For the extra curriculum question, how many words did you do as there is no word count for that question.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

Cases and deals are good to prepare but to be perfectly honest I've spent hours trying to engage with a case/deal for an AC and ended up not having discussed it because of how questions are asked. My own commercial awareness preparation for ACs is to identify a couple of the firm's core sectors and look for PESTLE trends impacting them, in addition to wider challenges affecting the firm more generally. Be sure to consider things like the firm's clients, USP's, approach to delivering services, 5/10 year strategy, competitors, etc.

Last edited:

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Hi all - I've just received the Reed Smith research questions, and I'd really appreciate any and all advice from anyone who's done them and/or made it past the research question stage.

Anything in particular I should keep in mind?

Thank you very much in advance, any advice is really appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.