Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey guys, would someone be able to explain what exactly a "full service" law firm is for me please?
It will just mean that they have a range of practice areas meaning that they will be able to cover a wide range of client matters. The “full” piece seems to suggest that that they could do anything, but that is rarely actually the case (unless it’s just referring work to subcontracted firms).

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
I am having a bit of trouble with the Reed Smith questions "Taking into account the firm's core values and drawing on any examples you have from your experiences, would you feel confident enough to challenge your colleagues if they were carrying out a process incorrectly?" Its clearly both a question probing my knowledge of the firm but also a scenario-based q? Im not sure how to cohesively approach this q

Reactions: manifestingaTC

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
Hey guys, if asked about at an interview with a firm about a recent deal of theirs that interests you, should you only stick to a deal that involved that particular office (in this case the London office)? Also, is it a good approach to talk about a deal which interests you due to your interest in the wider area and its commercial implications (in this case the wider interest being the SPAC boom)?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    What do law firms want to know from this application question - Travel (abroad and within the UK) - please indicate one or more interesting places you have visited, when and why?

Is it an application question for a vacation scheme application.

Do I just discuss my time in Dubai when I went there on holiday.

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Does anyone know if Taylor Wessing has sent PFO’s post-AC?
    Thought mine went okay but I got waitlisted and I know they’ve been giving out offers :( just wanted to know if it’s something most people got
    Did the email specifically say you were waitlisted? I got one (which may have been a general one?) that they are not yet in a position to give me my final outcome, etc

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey guys, if asked about at an interview with a firm about a recent deal of theirs that interests you, should you only stick to a deal that involved that particular office (in this case the London office)? Also, is it a good approach to talk about a deal which interests you due to your interest in the wider area and its commercial implications (in this case the wider interest being the SPAC boom)?
    In re the first part of your question, it depends - I would definitely focus on something led by the office you're applying to but, if applicable, it's also great to mention how different offices from the firm interacted and worked together on a given deal.

In re the second question, have a look over my interview article accessible via the link in my signature, explains three different approaches you can take to this question.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What do law firms want to know from this application question - Travel (abroad and within the UK) - please indicate one or more interesting places you have visited, when and why?

This is an opportunity for you to show another side to you as a candidate than what you'd display through answering 'typical' questions like "why do you want to train here?"

In terms of the example you use, it doesn't really matter - they're not looking for how cool or unusual the trip was, they're testing your ability to justify a position and fully explain your reasoning. If you feel that your holiday to Dubai is something you'd want to talk about here, something you feel you could really take a position on and justify it, then go ahead. Think about it holistically, though - a place can be interesting for many different reasons. I've personally visited New York, Washington DC, Virginia, etc but the answer I'd give if it were me would probably be visiting the WW1 battlefields in France and Belgium when I was about 15/16. Phenomenally interesting place, changed me a lot as a person. As much as NYC was 'cooler' in the classic meaning of the word, it's not the most interesting place I've ever been.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This is an opportunity for you to show another side to you as a candidate than what you'd display through answering 'typical' questions like "why do you want to train here?"

In terms of the example you use, it doesn't really matter - they're not looking for how cool or unusual the trip was, they're testing your ability to justify a position and fully explain your reasoning. If you feel that your holiday to Dubai is something you'd want to talk about here, something you feel you could really take a position on and justify it, then go ahead. Think about it holistically, though - a place can be interesting for many different reasons. I've personally visited New York, Washington DC, Virginia, etc but the answer I'd give if it were me would probably be visiting the WW1 battlefields in France and Belgium when I was about 15/16. Phenomenally interesting place, changed me a lot as a person. As much as NYC was 'cooler' in the classic meaning of the word, it's not the most interesting place I've ever been.
    Thank you very much for this and that makes sense and woah interesting.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It doesn’t have to be London based.

Reactions: relentlesspursuit

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

That’s a god awful question to ask 🤦🏻‍♀️

I suspect they want to see what interests you about non-domestic cultures and whether you have been naturally inquisitive to explore opportunities outside of your home country.

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    In re the first part of your question, it depends - I would definitely focus on something led by the office you're applying to but, if applicable, it's also great to mention how different offices from the firm interacted and worked together on a given deal.

In re the second question, have a look over my interview article accessible via the link in my signature, explains three different approaches you can take to this question.
    That's very helpful thanks

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.