Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When people say they hear back over the phone - is that just for final TC offers? I've only ever had emails for VS offers. If I'm rejected at the final TC stage, should I be expecting a phone call or an email? Or is this something that completely varies between firms?
Will vary from firm to firm.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Not to say that your approach isn't a good way of answering but it isn't how I personally would answer. While being ambitious is a good thing, stretching yourself too thin isn't. There's a skill in knowing how to balance your workload. If you just say yes to every task put your way then there's a danger that your productivity and quality of work will inevitably become compromised.
I see what you're saying but I'd never say that I'm taking on everything or stretching myself too thin - just that time should always be filled with something.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Usually phone calls are only for good news, I think it would be pretty cruel of them to call you to tell you they don't want you lol. But whether it's a phone call or email, that's dependent on the firm.
I used to call VS candidates to let them know they had been unsuccessful for TCs as it seemed pretty crappy to do it via email when they had invested their time at the firm and had gotten to know us.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Sep 30, 2020
When people say they hear back over the phone - is that just for final TC offers? I've only ever had emails for VS offers. If I'm rejected at the final TC stage, should I be expecting a phone call or an email? Or is this something that completely varies between firms?
I've heard all my AC responses over the phone - good and bad. Think it must depend on the firm!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Could we maybe make a communal spreadsheet showing which firms do what?
I have a tendency to miss calls so would be really helpful to know if a particular firm is going to contact me via email or not
My advice is set up a voicemail - then you don’t have to worry about it.

Reactions: els124

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I used to call VS candidates to let them know they had been unsuccessful for TCs as it seemed pretty crappy to do it via email when they had invested their time at the firm and had gotten to know us.
Yeah I agree I would rather get a call. The only negative is because I'd be so nervous I wouldn't ask the right questions about my feedback

Reactions: OB

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I see what you're saying but I'd never say that I'm taking on everything or stretching myself too thin - just that time should always be filled with something.
I do get your point re being ambitious. But I've spoken to quite a few trainees who have had the mindset of saying yes to everything and ended up having some big breakdown because of it. So I would be careful in how you answered/explained it.

My own answer to the question would be to discuss how I manage my time effectively - e.g. how I organise my time, how I prioritise work, how I approach situations where there has been a conflict. That's how I've answered these kinds of questions in my interviews.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys just wanted some ideas. How would you approach the question: “Do you find there are enough hours in the day to complete your to-do list?”

Are they looking for honesty here, like admitting sometimes there may not be and what you do to help that ie making sure th left over tasks are prioritised the next day etc? Thanks!
My answer to this would be, on my daily to do list there are sometimes not enough standard working hours of the day, and this is why I tend to work slightly earlier or later to get them done, but there are enough hours on the day to get them all done and comfortably.

I also know that some of the things on my to do list that don’t have a specific deadline attached or that can be deferred, and so on days when there really isn’t enough time (working hours or beyond) that I just push them to the next day or week’s to do list.

Basically I’d refer to the four/five Ds of time management.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I agree I would rather get a call. The only negative is because I'd be so nervous I wouldn't ask the right questions about my feedback
I never used to give feedback there and then because they were never receptive to it. Would always arrange a follow up call at a later date once the news had sunk in

Cho

Aug 8, 2020
I applied for an international vacation scheme (partly in London & partly in another local office). I passed the London office AC, and I am going to have an interview with a local partner soon. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to approach these?

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
My answer to this would be, on my daily to do list there are sometimes not enough standard working hours of the day, and this is why I tend to work slightly earlier or later to get them done, but there are enough hours on the day to get them all done and comfortably.

I also know that some of the things on my to do list that don’t have a specific deadline attached or that can be deferred, and so on days when there really isn’t enough time (working hours or beyond) that I just push them to the next day or week’s to do list.

Basically I’d refer to the four/five Ds of time management.
What's the fifth one? Do/defer/delete/delegate and?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Okay, I am so confused. I received this from Reed smith:

“We have received an unprecedented number of applications and as this scheme was primarily aimed at undergraduates, we will be withdrawing your application on the basis that the earliest training contract opportunity we have available will be to start in 2023.”

I did graduate last year but I can absolutely start a training contract in 2023. I just don’t get why they would do that and what they mean
Because firms experience people accepting a TC for a later date and then reneging when they can start a TC earlier.

It could also be SQE related. As I understand it, Reed Smith‘s SQE model will be you start as a graduate and work alongside completing the SQE exams, so they don’t need people to have the time lag between graduating and starting a TC.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Because firms experience people accepting a TC for a later date and then reneging when they can start a TC earlier.

It could also be SQE related. As I understand it, Reed Smith‘s SQE model will be you start as a graduate and work alongside completing the SQE exams.
I second what @Jessica Booker said here- when Reed Smith called to make me an offer for the spring VS they stressed the fact that they had no earlier start dates than 2023 and asked more than once if that would be okay for me so I'm assuming they're worried that people will renege if they get the option to start earlier (which is only an option for you as a graduate)

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020

It could also be SQE related. As I understand it, Reed Smith‘s SQE model will be you start as a graduate and work alongside completing the SQE exams.
    I second what @Jessica Booker said here- when Reed Smith called to make me an offer for the spring VS they stressed the fact that they had no earlier start dates than 2023 and asked more than once if that would be okay for me so I'm assuming they're worried that people will renege if they get the option to start earlier (which is only an option for you as a graduate)

Oh I see....but I still think it is annoying for them to do that. I wouldn’t have applied otherwise if I didn’t want to start a TC in 2023 provided I was successful....and in reality, I think the majority of firms are recruiting for 2023/2024 so it is not like there are so many options out there where I can get a TC before 2023.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.