Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    I just had a missed call from a mobile number I don't recognise (no previous texts from it or anything) and nothing coming up on Google. I thought it might be a firm calling but from home (although I assumed they'd have a redirect or something) - has anyone received their firms phone calls with a mobile number showing up? (I'm reluctant to phone it back because I don't know who it is).
    Yep I've had a few calls from firms from mobile numbers that were not hidden or anything (I assume they were just work mobiles). No harm in calling back I reckon.

Reactions: els124 and AH97

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    I just had a missed call from a mobile number I don't recognise (no previous texts from it or anything) and nothing coming up on Google. I thought it might be a firm calling but from home (although I assumed they'd have a redirect or something) - has anyone received their firms phone calls with a mobile number showing up? (I'm reluctant to phone it back because I don't know who it is).

Could be a firm - worth trying!

Although, I've had a huge increase in spam calls recently and so has my partner. Not sure why - maybe people are more vulnerable during lockdown and people are taking advantage of that?

Reactions: Andrew M and kls

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    It was the firm. I applied for a Direct TC because I cannot, at all do a VS because of my current employment. They've just offered me the VS. I literally don't know what to do. Ahhhhhhhhhhh
    I predict you may be coming under a severe two week flu in the future? 👀

But seriously, employers like this are terrible. I think its sad I have to use paid holiday leave for all these interviews, assessments VS' etc but hey ho!

• 🤝
    • Haha
    Reactions: Holly, Andrew M and OB

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I predict you may be coming under a severe two week flu in the future? 👀

But seriously, employers like this are terrible. I think its sad I have to use paid holiday leave for all these interviews, assessments VS' etc but hey ho!
    It's not an option - I don't get to choose when I take time off. I'm honestly so upset. They are 1000000% aware that I applied for a Direct TC and I told them it's because I cannot attend a vacation scheme so to just expect it when I've gone through the entire process for the direct TC was just a complete waste of my time (and theirs!!).

Lillith

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    It's not an option - I don't get to choose when I take time off. I'm honestly so upset. They are 1000000% aware that I applied for a Direct TC and I told them it's because I cannot attend a vacation scheme so to just expect it when I've gone through the entire process for the direct TC was just a complete waste of my time (and theirs!!).
    That sucks- is there any way they’ll convert it to a TC now? If not, at least it’s probably a good sign that you might not want to work at that firm anyway- if they expect you to magically get 2 weeks off work when you’ve already told them you can’t that’s not a great sign (not that it makes it any less frustrating)

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    That sucks- is there any way they’ll convert it to a TC now? If not, at least it’s probably a good sign that you might not want to work at that firm anyway- if they expect you to magically get 2 weeks off work when you’ve already told them you can’t that’s not a great sign (not that it makes it any less frustrating)
    Luckily it's not two weeks...but still. I'll work for anyone at this stage - I'm easy. Sign me up to Goldman Sachs after today's headlines. I'm just going to get drunk and think about it on Sunday (my head will hurt too much tomorrow).

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    On the flip side my friend works in IB and he just got a 45k bonus. This was top of his 57k salary. So its not all bad ahaha.

He really thinks the sacrifice is worth it. Plus unlike law there isn't the length of lpc/training so they reach six figures much younger and most exit to PE and are on seniors associate salaries by 26-27.
    I think there’s an upside to law being more training. This might just be me but I don’t fancy working 100 hours a week at 21-22 years old, no matter how much I get paid! Sometimes your mental health and enjoyment of your job needs to take priority over money. That’s just me though!

Reactions: Roomba and Kubed

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Luckily it's not two weeks...but still. I'll work for anyone at this stage - I'm easy. Sign me up to Goldman Sachs after today's headlines. I'm just going to get drunk and think about it on Sunday (my head will hurt too much tomorrow).
    If it’s a week maybe you can *fake* being ill. I know this isn’t ideal and I sympathise with your position but if that’s the only option I’d hate to see you lose out on your VS

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    I think there’s an upside to law being more training. This might just be me but I don’t fancy working 100 hours a week at 21-22 years old, no matter how much I get paid! Sometimes your mental health and enjoyment of your job needs to take priority over money. That’s just me though!

I think working 100 hours a week for 44 weeks for 4 years as a Junior Analyst will wreck your body and you'll only realise it when we're well beyond 30 years old.

Meanwhile, the occassional 9-11 for a SC firm, even though the salary might not come close, would still help with maintaining a semblance of mental health!

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    I see. I asked for an update in late february and I got the same answer. If I may ask, what stage of the process are you currently at?

I did my TI in December, so it's odd that they couldn't just reply to my chase email with an outright rejection...
    I'm still at the test stage, I completed them months ago so let them know but I think they're in the process of giving out telephone interviews atm so maybe after this batch they'll assess and let you know?

Reactions: M777

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    This happened to me for two of my offers- it was an actual mobile number

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    This is definitely crappy on the firm's part, offering you a VS when you explicitly applied for a TC, but equally what kind of employer doesn't let you choose when to take time off?? What's the point of annual leave then?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    This is definitely crappy on the firm's part, offering you a VS when you explicitly applied for a TC, but equally what kind of employer doesn't let you choose when to take time off?? What's the point of annual leave then?
    I'm a teacher - so I get school holiday off. Otherwise you can apply for leave for things like close family funerals etc but you don't get to take holiday. It's not the employers fault, it's just how it works because obviously that's how schools are.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s quite common for employers to not let you take time off work to work for another employer. It will be a fairly standard T&C in an employment contract for permanent jobs.

You at least have to declare any other employment in most cases.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.