Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Guys would you have any tips on doing well on the watson glaser? I've been practicing but I've no had no success with the exam.

On the cheat sheet point someone has raised, if you haven't already seen it, I'm linking Dan's fantastic cheat sheet below!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    In addition to all of the above, I would also keep in mind that they (usually?) don't ask trick questions and they state this at the start of the test. I really struggled with WG initially because I was reading into the text waaay too much - for example, if the text talked about 'firearms' but the question asked about 'guns', I would think that the question wasn't related.

I prepared cheat sheets for myself this year containing the instructions of each section (also saves time in the real thing - I skip the instructions and the practice questions). There are some really helpful YouTube videos out there where they define things like 'strong argument' in lots of detail and I would have all of these notes on the cheat sheet ready to be referred to.

Best of luck :)
    Thanks for this!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the Baker McKenzie direct TC application, do people think it is too late to apply since it is rolling? Also, maybe this is a stupid question, but as someone not from any underrepresented groups myself, I am not sure how I should answer this question, or whether it would even be appropriate for me to answer it (@Jessica Booker any advice on whether I should just leave it blank, or could I perhaps mention instances in which I have volunteered on behalf of people from underserved communities?):

'We are proud of our inclusive approach and how we have built an environment where people from diverse backgrounds can thrive, and are key to our success as a Firm. Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in. (300 words)'
    No it’s not too late - most people won’t be applying until after this summer results are back.

You have definitely got to answer the question though! Just because you are not an under represented group, doesn’t mean that you won’t potentially be an ally of those groups. Some of the groups also deal with much wider issues than under represented groups - I often a see answers talking about BakerWellbeing from a non diversity perspective.

Note the question ain’t just about you evidencing where you have been in diverse environments, but it is also about how you would look to work with/get involved the networks if you were to join the firm.

Reactions: JayC

Ana_M

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 8, 2021
    Has anyone done the weightmans questionnaire but not the verbal reasoning? The tests are due today at 5pm and I didn't realise they were separate, so worried I may get penalised for not doing the VRT (which has yet to be sent to me, as it gets sent after you do the questionnaire).

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Has anyone done the weightmans questionnaire but not the verbal reasoning? The tests are due today at 5pm and I didn't realise they were separate, so worried I may get penalised for not doing the VRT (which has yet to be sent to me, as it gets sent after you do the questionnaire).
    Hi! I did the preference one on Monday which apparently was after the deadline (had no clue the deadlines for the preference and VBT were different), but I received the VRT invitation today - so I'm sure you won't get penalised, especially since the email didn't specify the earlier deadline.

The deadline for the VRT has been extended to the 29th, 5pm.

Reactions: Ana_M

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

For those who have been successful with their tc/vs apps could I ask for your opinion on the following matter?

I am preparing for direct tc apps. I listed the firms that accept direct tc apps and also relying on my vast paralegal experience.
    But I was wondering would you clearly select the firms or apply to all the firms regardless?

I know it is a number game but I also work full time!

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Hi guys,

For those who have been successful with their tc/vs apps could I ask for your opinion on the following matter?

I am preparing for direct tc apps. I listed the firms that accept direct tc apps and also relying on my vast paralegal experience.
    But I was wondering would you clearly select the firms or apply to all the firms regardless?

I know it is a number game but I also work full time!
    Hey!

I'm in the same situation - currently studying for a Masters and working full time so throwing in TC apps as well is a bit difficult so I'm interested in hearing the replies to this.

I think personally I've made a long list of all the firms I'd ideally apply to and then ranked them in order of preference so I can focus on all the firms I'm really interested in first and then applying to the rest if I have time before the deadlines

Reactions: collie_121 and Nnu

panzerfahrer

Star Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Does anyone think it’s a bad sign that a TC interview slot was 15 mins, and the interview only took 9 mins? They looked engaged throughout and pleased at what I was saying, but I’m not sure just as it was so short!
    My interview was meant to be 45 mins and they ended it after 25 and I got the vac scheme. Sometimes they just dont want to waste their own time if they like you!

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    Hey! I could use some advice...

I submitted my available dates for a vac scheme, but there's been a change in my available weeks. One of the weeks I said I was available, my current job has said I now can't take that week off.

Should I mention this to Grad Recruitment, even though there's a chance they won't give me that week anyway, or just wait until they've announced the dates of the week they want me, and hope it's not the week I can't do, and if it is, let them know then? Thanks!

Last edited:

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Hey!

I'm in the same situation - currently studying for a Masters and working full time so throwing in TC apps as well is a bit difficult so I'm interested in hearing the replies to this.

I think personally I've made a long list of all the firms I'd ideally apply to and then ranked them in order of preference so I can focus on all the firms I'm really interested in first and then applying to the rest if I have time before the deadlines
    Same here, I am working full time, studying GDL full time and doing TC apps. Its hard work but has to be done!

I have an excel spreadsheet of all the firms and the closing dates. Have basically started apps with all of them so I can be aware of the questions and then I generally focus on the earliest deadlines first.

I find dropping in on apps is most effective for me, seeing the questions with fresh eyes, as opposed to to focusing on one until I'm happy with it. If nothing is clicking, move onto another one and come back.

I have 28 firms on my spreadsheet, 21 submitted, 7 still in progress and 8 PFO's so far

A

Anon 11031

Just logged in to check my WBD application and when I clicked on my application summary it said "the below sections have been reviewed". Has it always said that? Now I feel ridiculously nervous.

Reactions: ellwilsen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I submitted my available dates for a vac scheme, but there's been a change in my available weeks. One of the weeks, my current job has said I can't take that week off. Should I mention this to Grad Recruitment, even though there's a chance they won't give me that week, or just wait until they've announced the dates of the week they want me? Thanks!
    Yes update them sooner rather than later explaining your work won’t approve the time off

Reactions: ofm

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    just received some feedback for an AC I did recently ad it was very encouraging and helpful! Grad rec said the partners recommended me to reapply next year as my commercial awareness was what let me down the most

I was wondering what I could do to actually expand on and develop my knowledge of law firms as a business and the wider implications/bigger picture, I know its such an over asked question but I feel like I really try to keep up with news stories and listen to podcasts and use PESTLE to analyse issues etc but still can't seem to answer interview questions in enough depth??

Wondering how people who have secured vac schemes have prepped for them? Thanks for your help!

Reactions: JayC

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    just received some feedback for an AC I did recently ad it was very encouraging and helpful! Grad rec said the partners recommended me to reapply next year as my commercial awareness was what let me down the most

I was wondering what I could do to actually expand on and develop my knowledge of law firms as a business and the wider implications/bigger picture, I know its such an over asked question but I feel like I really try to keep up with news stories and listen to podcasts and use PESTLE to analyse issues etc but still can't seem to answer interview questions in enough depth??

Wondering how people who have secured vac schemes have prepped for them? Thanks for your help!
    When you say that you aren't answering in enough depth, do you think the problem is your analysis or your ability to articulate your ideas? It might be useful to join a commercial awareness group/blog/forum and get stuck into discussions with other users. That way, you can share different perspectives on commercial issues and hopefully expand your own perspective, whilst also working on actually communicating your views to other people.

Reactions: Jooooopp7

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Same here, I am working full time, studying GDL full time and doing TC apps. Its hard work but has to be done!

I have an excel spreadsheet of all the firms and the closing dates. Have basically started apps with all of them so I can be aware of the questions and then I generally focus on the earliest deadlines first.

I find dropping in on apps is most effective for me, seeing the questions with fresh eyes, as opposed to to focusing on one until I'm happy with it. If nothing is clicking, move onto another one and come back.

I have 28 firms on my spreadsheet, 21 submitted, 7 still in progress and 8 PFO's so far
    I am done with vs apps so for me there are only direct tc apps left. Yes I do the same if I am not inspired..move one!

Reactions: RoughWood

TiredPG

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 6, 2021

I listen to Wake Up to Money, and read the Times and the FT; I've also found webinars that firms or otherwise have put on over the last year or so very useful. Also, don't discount user comments on newspaper websites either - they can sometimes be surprisingly informative.

Having said that, I think it's important that you're able to just talk about issues fluidly - I literally just chat to my dad about the news and business stuff, and I'd say that's what really solidifies my commercial awareness. I'd find someone to talk about current issues or commercial news with or engage with the threads here in the commercial awareness section.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    When you say that you aren't answering in enough depth, do you think the problem is your analysis or your ability to articulate your ideas? It might be useful to join a commercial awareness group/blog/forum and get stuck into discussions with other users. That way, you can share different perspectives on commercial issues and hopefully expand your own perspective, whilst also working on actually communicating your views to other people.
    yeah, i think potentially I have somewhat of an understanding of commercial issues etc but maybe not applying them to the context of interview questions or articulating my ideas very well to get across my point of view.

Joining a forum/group sounds like a really good idea! do you have any recommendations? (apart from tcla obviously!)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

In addition to the excellent podcast suggestions already mentioned, a number of firms produced webinars for clients that you can watch on youtube - I remember @Raam and I studying Dechert's private equity webinars in a lot of depth before our schemes last year!

In addition to these, Watson's Daily is an excellent investment (literally the price of a coffee every month and you get great commercial analysis - would also recommend listening to his podcast where the discussions will be super helpful for you in terms of how to articulate CA points for an interview) and Morning Brew is another really good (free) daily commercial awareness newsletter to subscribe to. Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.