2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Today, I have received my first training contract offer (they could have chosen a day other than April Fools)

Man oh man, a tonne of weight is off my shoulders. No more applications, open days, competencies, nonsense grad rec, "when did you apply", weekends spent prepping
    So proud - delighted for you! <3

EBS

Standard Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Its not harsh as it is a personal opinion. But my personal view would be

1) How do you know there is really are "no" black people? You are unlikely to know all employees and unless the firm is reporting themselves they have no black people, I don't think you can come to that conclusion

2) Why not try and be someone to change it? The only way that will happen is if people apply to the firm. If every black person had the same attitude, nothing would change.
    Totally agree with you Jessica. I can appreciate how seeing little to no black people represented at the firm can be disheartening - but if you never try then you will never really know! Go for what you want!

Lohana

Star Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Anyone get the Edwin Coe Open day invite as a substitute for the vacation scheme? I'm wondering if they sent this to everyone who applied or if they still filtered out people? They said there are interviews the day after the open day but it didnt specify whether this interview is for a vacation scheme or a direct TC?

Reactions: C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi how do people go about reneging a VS offer? Also lol we definitely can renege right? Also will that firm be reluctant to consider me for positions in the future? @Jessica Booker maybe you could help. Thank you
    Yes, you can renege.

The firm is less likely to go out of their way to consider you for future opportunities. You are ultimately turning them down, for what I can only assume is a better offer, so they know they are second (or third, or worst) best in your eyes. They are far less likely to convert you given your prefences.

Reactions: layla rose

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    Anyone get the Edwin Coe Open day invite as a substitute for the vacation scheme? I'm wondering if they sent this to everyone who applied or if they still filtered out people? They said there are interviews the day after the open day but it didnt specify whether this interview is for a vacation scheme or a direct TC?
    I just emailed them back asking if the interview is for a direct TC - will let you know the reply!

Reactions: Penelope and Lohana

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Yes, you can renege.

The firm is less likely to go out of their way to consider you for future opportunities. You are ultimately turning them down, for what I can only assume is a better offer, so they know they are second (or third, or worst) best in your eyes. They are far less likely to convert you given your prefences.
    Thank you very much for that. Is it best to email grad rec to renege?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.