2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I think the point of claiming to be non-rolling but then cutting off reviewing applications is very fair. I imagine from the grad recruitment perspective however the last year has just been unprecedented, and the usual targets they would build in have to be thrown out the window. Otherwise they would have to hire more recruiters, which makes no financial sense from their perspective if they still want to hire the same numbers.

It massively sucks, however it's the case equally in almost all competitive sectors in London. Regardless of how much a specific job seems your dream job, anything in London gets so many applications it's best not even considering it once it's sent. For the vast majority of grad level jobs I have applied for in London over the years, I haven't even heard back. It works when you accept that a lot of your applications will never even be read. It doesn't mean yours didn't meet the benchmark, but it makes no sense from a business perspective to interview say 100 people for a grad charity job when if they interview 5-10 they'll likely find someone they like. Rest straight in the bin. In comparison to most sectors, law firms spend ridiculous levels of time and money on picking their candidates.

Applying to grad-level jobs in London SUCKS. You send off a tonne of applications, no responses from anything you are qualified for, then randomly get one! Not unique to law--if anything it's less opaque.

This is very true. I applied to Travers Smith in October and put a lot of thought into my application and they didn't even read it (for the second year in a row just to add insult to injury), but I applied to Simmons & Simmons on a whim on the day of the deadline despite thinking I would fail all their online tests and somehow managed to get a vac scheme there...you never know what you're going to get!

But at the same time, I am quite disappointed in how they've handled things. They're now officially on the naughty step, along with two other firms as far as I'm concerned!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Following Travers Smith discussion. I agree with all of you that they should review all of their applications before making applications. This has happened to me 3 3 like I applied to them 3 times in a row. Also, I think their mistake is allowing people to apply for multiple roles in the firm in 1 application cycle which increases applications for them. For example, I applied for winter and summer VS both.

I have had my application reviewed by a TS paralegal and who even gave me information about the firm from the inside which I used in my application. IO also had my application reviewed by 2 trainees and it was good. I think they started reviewing applications from last submitted firstly which was unfair as people who submitted in December probably got rejections.

I am done with the firm as I am not going to be applying for them again.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Am I missing something? Why are we assuming that TS did not read the applications? I'm pretty sure they did read everyones but they like to give a PFO at the end in a nicer way.

Reactions: Zay

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Am I missing something? Why are we assuming that TS did not read the applications? I'm pretty sure they did read everyones but they like to give a PFO at the end in a nicer way.
    This is what I was confused about too - the email I got from them says they cant interview everyone, not that they didn't read everyones? I would have thought surely its not the case that they didn't read my application, since I applied all the way back in October. I'm assuming that they read everyones, and just put the applications that they didn't want to interview aside so that they could email everyone in one go? I thought that a lot of firms PFO in one big go rather than doing small batches as in when they read them?

Reactions: Nnu

Omi

Dec 24, 2020
    Would it be viewed as negatively if I used the same experience twice in an application form? I have to answer a bunch of STAR questions and for two of them, I am giving examples that came from the same experience. I am worried about using the same experience twice, but I just cannot come up with other examples that are as relevant.
    sometime you gotta just make it up

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    This is what I was confused about too - the email I got from them says they cant interview everyone, not that they didn't read everyones? I would have thought surely its not the case that they didn't read my application, since I applied all the way back in October. I'm assuming that they read everyones, and just put the applications that they didn't want to interview aside so that they could email everyone in one go? I thought that a lot of firms PFO in one big go rather than doing small batches as in when they read them?
    Travers does have a reputation for not reading everyone’s but the email was different to previous years and they specifically stated that they are changing their approach this year. I could be wrong though, a lot of people are saying they mostly interviewed people who applied close to the deadline

Zay

Star Member
    Oct 28, 2018
    Travers does have a reputation for not reading everyone’s but the email was different to previous years and they specifically stated that they are changing their approach this year. I could be wrong though, a lot of people are saying they mostly interviewed people who applied close to the deadline
    I don't really understand where everyone is getting the information that they don't read everyone's applications? I personally didn't apply close to the deadline and was invited to interview so also think it's a myth that they are mostly interviewing people who applied close to the deadline... Having said that, they will invite people to interview who have the strongest applications *in their eyes* (before everyone jumps at me), so it also might just turn out that people who applied closer to the deadline had the strongest apps

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I don't really understand where everyone is getting the information that they don't read everyone's applications? I personally didn't apply close to the deadline and was invited to interview so also think it's a myth that they are mostly interviewing people who applied close to the deadline... Having said that, they will invite people to interview who have the strongest applications *in their eyes* (before everyone jumps at me), so it also might just turn out that people who applied closer to the deadline had the strongest apps
    I don't want to start a debate here but. The reason why I applied early is because for the winter scheme they were rolling basis and they might have done it the other way round by reviewing the newest applications first this time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi it would be great to have your advice on this. I have secured a vac scheme for a week that clashes with one of the potential weeks for another firm I'm at final stage with. Should I wait to see whether I am offered a place on the vac scheme before letting grad recruitment know about my availability or email in advance? Thank you
    Do either firm have alternative dates that don't clash?

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    There does seem to be a lot of conjecture/rumours flying around about Travers application process which I'm not sure is helpful. I am sorry to hear about all the rejections today but in reality no-one knows what they do to screen applications, whether they only interview people who apply close to the deadline etc. It's a competitive process and not every firm is a good fit for everyone!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hearing about everyone's experience with TS this year has majorly put me off applying for them next cycle. Deciding to stop reviewing applications despite time and effort put in seems to be in bad taste to me. It also seems mildly unethical.

Sorry to everyone that had a PFO but thank you for sharing your experience so I know to avoid!
    Unfortunately this is common practice for recruitment (generally, not specific to graduate recruitment). There will be plenty of employers who do this, but just tell you that you have been unsuccessful.

Reactions: Bonolaw

Zay

Star Member
    Oct 28, 2018
    I don't want to start a debate here but. The reason why I applied early is because for the winter scheme they were rolling basis and they might have done it the other way round by reviewing the newest applications first this time.
    But you're just assuming. None of us know how TS's grad rec department go about reviewing their apps, unless someone here has worked with them. Just because you applied early, doesn't mean you'll be invited to interview and just because you applied late, doesn't mean you'll be invited to interview. That's all I'm saying

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    But you're just assuming. None of us know how TS's grad rec department go about reviewing their apps, unless someone here has worked with them. Just because you applied early, doesn't mean you'll be invited to interview and just because you applied late, doesn't mean you'll be invited to interview. That's all I'm saying
    I agree with you and I was just giving my opinion from what I think and I base this on experience.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    There does seem to be a lot of conjecture/rumours flying around about Travers application process which I'm not sure is helpful. I am sorry to hear about all the rejections today but in reality no-one knows what they do to screen applications, whether they only interview people who apply close to the deadline etc. It's a competitive process and not every firm is a good fit for everyone!
    All I know about mine is that they said I interviewed there when I never even applied before like bruh😭

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031 and Kubed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I don't think its unethical for them to do that.

But unlike other firms that claim to be non-rolling and ensure that they read every application (e.g.: Shearman & Sterling), Travers Smith claims to be non-rolling (for their Summer VS) but doesn't look at all applications.

A bit of a paradox to claim that you are non-rolling but do not read every application, in my personal opinion.
    It sounds like speculation that applications haven't been reviewed at all.

Even in a case that applications haven't been fully reviewed, it could quite easily be the case they have created some form of “prioritisation” process that supersedes when someone applied, and therefore means the firm is still non-rolling.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Really interesting to see that BCLP have adopted a hybrid approach of WFH and in office for their summer vacs. Have any other firms done this?

Interesting! I'd be curious to know if you have more details about this? Do vacation schemers have to come in a few days a week?

I believe Jones Day is expecting/hoping their summer vacation scheme is going to be in person.

Reactions: breadpitt

MzM

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2019
    Interesting! I'd be curious to know if you have more details about this? Do vacation schemers have to come in a few days a week?

I believe Jones Day is expecting/hoping their summer vacation scheme is going to be in person.
    V&E have give people the option of attending completely online if they wish, or ‘attending in the office where possible’

grad rec said they were aiming to hold in person if at all possible!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: collie_121 and Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.