Not open for further replies.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Interesting! I'd be curious to know if you have more details about this? Do vacation schemers have to come in a few days a week?

I believe Jones Day is expecting/hoping their summer vacation scheme is going to be in person.

Oh shoot, is that true about Jones Day? They told me before that it was going to be virtual and shortened, if they go back to in person they might put the second week back in too...

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Oh shoot, is that true about Jones Day? They told me before that it was going to be virtual and shortened, if they go back to in person they might put the second week back in too...

I am hoping that Simmons & Simmons' will be online as I will otherwise have to find somewhere to stay in Bristol and the scheme also ends four days before my exams begin whelp

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020
    I don't think its unethical for them to do that.

But unlike other firms that claim to be non-rolling and ensure that they read every application (e.g.: Shearman & Sterling), Travers Smith claims to be non-rolling (for their Summer VS) but doesn't look at all applications.

A bit of a paradox to claim that you are non-rolling but do not read every application, in my personal opinion.
    i applied to travers on the 16th - a few hours before the deadline and I was invited for an interview so I'm not sure if saying they don't read all app/rolling is fair

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    OC in Bristol are aiming for the two weeks to be in-person, so Simmons might take a similar approach!

It's possible! Won't affect me much either way as I have loads of mates still there and plenty of options when it comes to accommodation. But for revision purposes, it would be much more beneficial for me to stay at home, that's for sure.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A candidate mentioned it in an office hour call, but I wouldn’t take my word on this. If the firm has said it’s virtual, I’m sure that’s what they are expecting!

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    If I apply to TC applications this summer, that counts as applications in the 2020-2021 cycle right? So If I apply to firm X for a TC this summer and get rejected, I will still be eligible to apply to firm X for a VS/TC in 2021-2022 app cycle?

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I apply to TC applications this summer, that counts as applications in the 2020-2021 cycle right? So If I apply to firm X for a TC this summer and get rejected, I will still be eligible to apply to firm X for a VS/TC in 2021-2022 app cycle?

@Jessica Booker
    Unfortunately I don’t think it’s as simple/straight forward as that. Some firm’s policies will be you can’t reapply within 12 months, others might be you can’t reapply at all. It will usually depend on the intake you are applying to as well. If the intake is a year later, then reapplying might not be an issue, subject to the firm’s policy.

Reactions: Dwight

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Just came across this on LinkedIn and thought it was quite refreshing (and brave!), so I thought I'd share. From a trainee solicitor at Clifford Chance who some of you may already be familiar with: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/liam...overwhelmed-activity-6785296075658952704-ZXB6
    This is a valuable insight.

If anything, in the last year I've learned to have more of an open mind towards my career and where I train. Getting your first legal job in a top 10 Magic Circle firm or whatnot shouldn't be the be-all-end-all to becoming a great lawyer

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

If anything, in the last year I've learned to have more of an open mind towards my career and where I train. Getting your first legal job in a top 10 Magic Circle firm or whatnot shouldn't be the be-all-end-all to becoming a great lawyer

Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: Anon 11031 and FM302989

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020

Also....

I just want to say to people it’s ok if that’s not where you even WANT to work at. MC firms have never really appealed to me for a variety of reasons, and if there are some of you on the forum who feel the same just know you’re not weird and you are going to excel.

A

Anon 11031

I'll second this. My partner works at an international law firm (albeit he's a couple of years PQ) and there's days where he wakes up at 8am and doesn't finish until 10-11pm. It's definitely made me think more rationally about work/life balance as you don't realise how much it impacts your life until you're in the middle of it.

For some people it's great and just what they need, for others it's definitely not. Thanks for sharing @Jaysen ☺️

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Reactions: Jaysen

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Interesting! I'd be curious to know if you have more details about this? Do vacation schemers have to come in a few days a week?

I believe Jones Day is expecting/hoping their summer vacation scheme is going to be in person.
    Isn't it! At this point they've asked us to confirm whether we personally want to adopt a hybrid or entirely virtual approach as both are available to all. For those that are hybrid, we are invited to come in the office on days where our trainee buddy or supervisor is in. They've also noted that socials may be in person!

Reactions: Jaysen and Holly

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
    Mar 2, 2021
    Hearing about everyone's experience with TS this year has majorly put me off applying for them next cycle. Deciding to stop reviewing applications despite time and effort put in seems to be in bad taste to me. It also seems mildly unethical.

Sorry to everyone that had a PFO but thank you for sharing your experience so I know to avoid!
    I have to say I know some people have had bad experiences with TS this year and I know I’m one of the lucky ones since I had an interview and have a VS with them but in comparison to some of the other firms I applied to, they have been nothing but nice and so responsive to all my emails and queries. The interview was the nicest I’ve ever done and the HR team have been super helpful and supportive. I understand its been bad for a lot of people on here with PFOs and the such but I just wanted to give you another perspective because I had a really great experience with them so don’t let it put you off completely. Good luck for the next cycle :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.