2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
Mar 2, 2021
I don't want to start a debate here but. The reason why I applied early is because for the winter scheme they were rolling basis and they might have done it the other way round by reviewing the newest applications first this time.
I applied to Travers on 12th October and interviewed 3 weeks ago so I don’t think they reviewed newest applications first

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
Jan 27, 2020
I have to say I know some people have had bad experiences with TS this year and I know I’m one of the lucky ones since I had an interview and have a VS with them but in comparison to some of the other firms I applied to, they have been nothing but nice and so responsive to all my emails and queries. The interview was the nicest I’ve ever done and the HR team have been super helpful and supportive. I understand its been bad for a lot of people on here with PFOs and the such but I just wanted to give you another perspective because I had a really great experience with them so don’t let it put you off completely. Good luck for the next cycle :)
agreed. also given that they only have one stage post application, I'm guessing they're super cutthroat about the apps and their app-screening process is more intense than other firms that have several stages post-app

Selggib16

Star Member
Jul 20, 2019
Feeling quite down...had two interviews over the last two cycles for both Clifford Chance and Jones Day (not much for two cycles) and received PFOs for both post interview (it’s always one silly thing I do that seals my fate). Just feel deflated and maybe not cut out for London :(
I have an offer for Pinsent Masons in Scotland but London is really where I want to be - does anyone have any advice? What is the practice for moving to London in the future from Scotland as this forum is mostly focused on London so haven’t seen much regarding this topic! Alternatively should I turn down the offer and keep pursuing London?
Any advice is appreciated, reading the conversations and support on here always makes me realise I’m not alone! Really having a bad day after the PFO 😕

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Feeling quite down...had two interviews over the last two cycles for both Clifford Chance and Jones Day (not much for two cycles) and received PFOs for both post interview (it’s always one silly thing I do that seals my fate). Just feel deflated and maybe not cut out for London :(
I have an offer for Pinsent Masons in Scotland but London is really where I want to be - does anyone have any advice? What is the practice for moving to London in the future from Scotland as this forum is mostly focused on London so haven’t seen much regarding this topic! Alternatively should I turn down the offer and keep pursuing London?
Any advice is appreciated, reading the conversations and support on here always makes me realise I’m not alone! Really having a bad day after the PFO 😕
If you've managed to get to the final stage for two top firms and an offer at another great firm you've clearly got what it takes. If you definitely want to work in London then I would turn down the offer and keep going because you will definitely get there :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just got an offer for my dream masters - so looks like I will be back here regardless of what happens after my VS (doubt they would give a 2024 offer).
See you all then and best of luck to you all! 🤗
I wouldn’t be so dismissive of the ability to defer your offer. Many firms are open to that idea, especially if you have confirmed plans. Just be mindful it means you are more likely to take the SQE route though.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I wouldn’t be so dismissive of the ability to defer your offer. Many firms are open to that idea, especially if you have confirmed plans. Just be mindful it means you are more likely to take the SQE route though.
    Ohhh thank you, I will have a see how it goes but it's likely I will come back again next year :)

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Just got an offer for my dream masters - so looks like I will be back here regardless of what happens after my VS (doubt they would give a 2024 offer).
    See you all then and best of luck to you all! 🤗
    Congratulations!!! Hopefully they let you defer so you can have the best of both worlds! ☺️ and even if you are back on the forum next year it'll make it an even better place for the 2024 applicants :)

• Love
    Reactions: Dheepa

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Congratulations!!! Hopefully they let you defer so you can have the best of both worlds! ☺️ and even if you are back on the forum next year it'll make it an even better place for the 2024 applicants :)
    Thank you so much! This masters offer was very unexpected and it is simply one I cannot refuse! Next year, I think I will be a bit more decided on what I want to do after the VS and look forward to meeting and talking to you all then.

Best of luck to you, Kablahc on your excellent TC offer. I hope to stay in contact!

• Love
    Reactions: Kablahc

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Also....

I just want to say to people it’s ok if that’s not where you even WANT to work at. MC firms have never really appealed to me for a variety of reasons, and if there are some of you on the forum who feel the same just know you’re not weird and you are going to excel.

Can't agree more with you! I think it takes a certain degree of maturity to be able to block out the noise and other people's opinions on things like prestige, where to train, etc. I haven't watched the video yet but our generation (I blame Linkedin for this) tends to over glorify "hustle culture" and insane things like having 6 streams of income and owning a London flat by the time your 26 so its incredibly refreshing to see people who are just as open about the lows as they are the highs.

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Thank you, is the SQE1 similar to the lpc then? Do you basically don’t need to study law anymore to be a solicitor?
    No worries - it's such a confusing process!!

I'm not 100% sure as I'm hoping to qualify with the GDL/LPC route but from what I've heard it seems like the SQE1 will cover some of the same practical elements as the LPC alongside legal knowledge! Technically you don't need the GDL to do the SQE but there will be an expected level of legal knowledge, so either the GDL or a prep course would probably be recommended, especially given that retaking exams is pretty expensive!

Reactions: M1999

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Can't agree more with you! I think it takes a certain degree of maturity to be able to block out the noise and other people's opinions on things like prestige, where to train, etc. I haven't watched the video yet but our generation (I blame Linkedin for this) tends to over glorify "hustle culture" and insane things like having 6 streams of income and owning a London flat by the time your 26 so its incredibly refreshing to see people who are just as open about the lows as they are the highs.
    Agree with this.

I particularly think the legal industry can be toxic. What other profession can someone start their career with potentially no prior experience or knowledge on a £40/50k salary; that's bizarre to me (yes, I do understand how fee-earners work/time-costing works - I've worked as a Paralegal for almost two years).

I genuinely wish we had more positivity and encouragement (a la TCLA) and fewer 'LinkedIn Influencers' on the web

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Agreed with @tractor12 - I've spoken to many candidates during my office hours who have had all rejections over the last cycle. If you're getting interviews with those types of firms, you are doing something right, and I wouldn't take this as evidence that you aren't cut out for London.

If you are keen on London, I think it just comes down to whether you are willing to put up with the uncertainty for another one/two/three years of applying. In the grand scheme of things, taking an extra couple of years will hardly make a difference, but I can understand if you didn't want to put yourself through that for longer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.