2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliana

Star Member
Apr 11, 2021
Hi, just finished my VS cycle and now thinking of applying for direct TCs. Does anyone know the general time frame for that? I know apps are open but given exam season etc I was wondering when firms progress applicants to the next stage for interviews/ACs etc?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, just finished my VS cycle and now thinking of applying for direct TCs. Does anyone know the general time frame for that? I know apps are open but given exam season etc I was wondering when firms progress applicants to the next stage for interviews/ACs etc?
Most firms will keep applications open until June/July because of exams. Interviews can take place anytime between late June and September (basically outside of term time). Some firms will interview later (e.g. late August/September) once they know their vac scheme conversion rates are like.

Reactions: Eliana

Eliana

Star Member
Apr 11, 2021
Most firms will keep applications open until June/July because of exams. Interviews can take place anytime between late June and September (basically outside of term time). Some firms will interview later (e.g. late August/September) once they know their vac scheme conversion rates are like.
Thank you Jessica. So would firms usually wait till end of June to progress candidates to the next stages even if they submit apps now?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica. So do firms usually wait till end of June to progress candidates to the next stages even if they submit apps now?

Some way choose to progress applicants through the early stages (e.g. testing/video interviews) just while things are quiet. But I'd doubt they would bring significant numbers of people through to final round interview stages before July.

Reactions: Eliana

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require?

For this application question does need to link to the firm's competencies or is it in general.
To me the key word in this question is future. It isn’t really just about what the firm might be recruiting for now, but what they may need in the future.

There may be links to what the firm looks for now, but it needs to be spun in a way that is forward looking, not just saying why it is important to have those qualities now.

• Love
Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    To me the key word in this question is future. It isn’t really just about what the firm might be recruiting for now, but what they may need in the future.

There may be links to what the firm looks for now, but it needs to be spun in a way that is forward looking, not just saying why it is important to have those qualities now.
    Thank you very much for this. This is a lot to take in and will think about this.

Also, would knowledge of legal tech be an example. As I thought about legal tech when thinking about the future.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much for this. This is a lot to take in and will think about this.

Also, would knowledge of legal tech be an example. As I thought about legal tech when thinking about the future.
    Be mindful that might not be deemed a quality - that is knowledge. To me a quality is more about an attitude/characteristic, but everything is open to interpretation.

It would be interesting for other people to talk about what they have included in applications.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Thank you for this.
    I spoke about technological skills in an interview (which I was successful at) but I sort of framed it with the angle that if the legal profession shifts towards more virtual working environments as a result of the pandemic, future lawyers will need the technological skills/adaptability to be able to navigate through this easily. Not sure if this is what you meant but hope it helps!

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Dentons VS offer! Somehow that's 4 VS offers for this cycle now, after being gutted following a post-VS rejection last year I'm buzzing! I'm not an expert at all, but if anybody does have any questions then feel free to drop a message
    Massive congratulations on your four offers! Amazing! Do you have any thoughts on the reasons (if you're happy to share) for your post-VS rejection last year and what you want to do differently this year?

Chance

• Nov 20, 2020
    Quick Question. I got a job in finance that I am due to start in August but I after I accepted the offer I got a vac scheme. The dates for the vac scheme are before I start my job so can I take both? Would my employer be annoyed?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.