2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
You can download this one here. I also remember a conversation some hundred pages back when someone shared their spreadsheet but I can’t find it at the moment. If I do will definitely send it over.

Hey, I think this may be the spreadsheet that @Dheepa was referring to. It's quite a good idea, I will defo do something similar next cycle!

I just use a simple excel spreadsheet, I use separate pages for applied, in process of applying/want to apply, and then apps that are optional to apply to.

For my sent apps: green is my base colour (as it's my favourite). First column is name, second column is where I am with the app--bright yellow means successful, green still in process (e.g. at interview), white means awaiting any news, red is rejected. A small blank column where I just highlight any actions needed (e.g. WG needing completion), only time I use neon so I don't miss deadlines. Then a column colour-coding application stream (direct/VS) and with date of application. Then a further column for notes, e.g. if we have any idea of when I should hear back or any pertinent info.

For the apps still to complete, the main thing my spreadsheet highlights is deadline, whether rolling and what stage I am at with writing. I highlight the apps that I particularly care about or that have an approaching deadline. And keep that page nice and clear by putting apps I MIGHT consider onto a separate excel page.
Thank you all so much. This was exactly what I was looking for.
I’m going to input all my information today I think, I still have quite a few outgoing firms.

I just have to fix a mess up with uni work and then schedule in a break down, but after that I’m doing it! :)

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
I guess I was worried they were hoping for something more literal, like something happening at work, or a client having issues opposed to it being more of a personal challenge, but now having reasoned it out I think I was probably overthinking
I used a similar (ish) example in my vac scheme app for Dentons, about challenges around mentoring secondary school law applicants when I was nervous myself and I was successful in getting the vac scheme if that helps!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any tips for preparing for a case study / strengths based interview? Haven't done either before and not sure how to go about preparing! :)
    Hey,

My articles on case studies and general interview skills/ prep are both available via the link in my signature if you've not yet had a read of them - hopefully they will help!

Reactions: thatwonder_woman

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, got a TC AC coming up, which may involve a written exercise. Anyone got any tips on how best to tackle them, please?

written exercise

Scrutinise everything. Check for errors in all parts (typos, misspellings, transposed numbers, incorrect dates), look for anything ambiguous or that is unclear. Make sure everything is super clear and concise.

Conciseness and structure
    Clarify any ambiguous elements or what the clients might not know/or understand
    Focus on advice/actions

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hi everyone, got a TC AC coming up, which may involve a written exercise. Anyone got any tips on how best to tackle them, please?
    Structure is often more important than having amazing ideas content wise, write clearly and articulate all your ideas fully. don't be afraid to use subheadings and set every idea out paragraph by paragraph. be very mindful of your audience - don't use legal jargon if the audience isn't experienced lawyers. If appropriate add an executive summary as well

D

Deleted member 8227

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what the best route to take might be. I graduated from law last year and I am planning to make as many applications as possible in this coming cycle but I need work. Should I go for part-time work unrelated to law (e.g. retail) so I have more time for applications and schemes whilst earning money or go for a full-time job in the commercial world whilst still applying for vac schemes?

If I worked retail, I would still try and get experience related to law (e.g. I have a virtual in-house legal internship in the summer and have been attending open days) and I have previously done legal work experience and insight schemes.

I'm worried about not having enough time to write good applications/attend interviews and schemes if I start working full-time but I'm also concerned my application would be weaker if I'm not doing a role that benefits my career. Does anyone who has maybe been in a similar position have any advice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what the best route to take might be. I graduated from law last year and I am planning to make as many applications as possible in this coming cycle but I need work. Should I go for part-time work unrelated to law (e.g. retail) so I have more time for applications and schemes whilst earning money or go for a full-time job in the commercial world whilst still applying for vac schemes?

If I worked retail, I would still try and get experience related to law (e.g. I have a virtual in-house legal internship in the summer and have been attending open days) and I have previously done legal work experience and insight schemes.

I'm worried about not having enough time to write good applications/attend interviews and schemes if I start working full-time but I'm also concerned my application would be weaker if I'm not doing a role that benefits my career. Does anyone who has maybe been in a similar position have any advice?
    Is there a compromise of trying to find a part-time or flexible commercial role?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I haven't been in a similar position but judging from the amount of legal work experience you already have, I don't think taking a non-law related job will be detrimental to your applications. I think writing a good app is one of the biggest if not the biggest hurdle when securing a TC so my vote is for taking a job which is slightly more flexible and will give you the time to really throw yourself in the process. There are quite a few people on the forum who work full time while applying @Sebastian Clark @LegalLordLox Hopefully they have some insight on what you can expect with juggling a full time role and apps.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I haven't been in a similar position but judging from the amount of legal work experience you already have, I don't think taking a non-law related job will be detrimental to your applications. I think writing a good app is one of the biggest if not the biggest hurdle when securing a TC so my vote is for taking a job which is slightly more flexible and will give you the time to really throw yourself in the process. There are quite a few people on the forum who work full time while applying @Sebastian Clark @LegalLordLox Hopefully they have some insight on what you can expect with juggling a full time role and apps.
    I have been working full time as a paralegal, I would 100% agree with Dheepa regarding finding something more flexible if you can, considering you will be able to highlight those transferable skills anyway when you make your apps.

From my personal experience of having to work full time I found that I lost sight of my goal of getting a TC because I would put my job first. This year I have made sure to do something application related every week even if I am having a busy week by splitting my day up. I work, then take a break to cook and eat and then sit down and do something relating to applications i.e research/attending a Legal Cheek event. I have a habit tracking app called Done, which helps me out with this too.

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
    May 5, 2020
    Thanks for the tag @Dheepa! @SB144 For context I'm currently working full time in Compliance, and I can honestly say the quality of my apps has gone up just by the amount of professional experience I can mention, as well as the commercial awareness I've gained just by being involved in business. That said, you are right - it is hard working full time and applying. I try and make sure I have time off but a lot of my evenings/weekends are spent getting applications off.

I imagine it would be the reverse with a part time retail job - while your experience might not be immediately related to law, you would have more time to spend on writing applications/attending open days etc.

I think it largely depends on a number of things and what you think you're comfortable with - I don't think there's a wrong or a right way, it just depends on your circumstances. For me I took the view my grades weren't exactly glowing, so I needed to make it up with unique professional experience - the more related that was to law/business, the better.

Feel free to dm me if you want to discuss in more detail!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you do get a job, you can always try to negotiate your hours. For instance, can you start/finish late the rest of the week so you have a half day/day off each week to make time for apps. You can also use annual leave to take time to do applications too.

A

Anon 11031

Hello, I might be able to help with this somewhat. I'm currently in full-time employment in an office/professional job whilst also studying full-time and completing TC applications.

In my experience, being able to experience any professional environment first-hand increases your understanding of how businesses work and gives you a nice understanding of general office etiquette. I've found that this experience has helped me when filling out applications as I have a more natural commercial awareness at this point.

I have also had part-time retail jobs whilst applying in the past, and these can be valuable too. You can still learn valuable skills in these positions which you can transfer over to TC applications. Also, as you said...this will give you far more time to attend open days and gain legal work experience. However, from my understanding law firms aren't always looking for legal work experience in particular but the skills learnt from multiple environments.

In my opinion, being able to experience office work before entering a TC with a law firm is beneficial - there are lots of extremely relevant skills you can learn and, for me personally, it's made me feel much more confident about the transition. However, as you said, this isn't without its challenges. It is difficult and the reality is, I don't have an awful lot of free time anymore. It is hard and extremely stressful. I would advise you really think about how much time you're willing to sacrifice and ask yourself if you think you can do it, as opposed to opinions of other people. Be extremely honest with yourself.

If you do make that decision, make sure you plan your week thoroughly. Break things down into manageable chunks and try to negotiate hours that work for you with your employer. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one, but try and weigh up all the pros and cons.

Hope that helped you out. Feel free to DM me at any point if you need any guidance - or just support! ☺️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.