2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Is it normally open book regardless of Covid do you know? I'm a little apprehensive as to the LPC most likely being examined 'normally' next year haha
    I can only speak from when I did the LPC back in 2018-2019. If you're with ULaw most exams are Open Book, except for the multiple choice papers for the 3 core modules as these are focused on your knowledge. There are couple skills exams which they only allow you to bring in the SRA handbook but you are allowed to annotate these and write notes inside

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Matt_96

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I can only speak from when I did the LPC back in 2018-2019. If you're with ULaw most exams are Open Book, except for the multiple choice papers for the 3 core modules as these are focused on your knowledge. There are couple skills exams which they only allow you to bring in the SRA handbook but you are allowed to annotate these and write notes inside

I'm at ULaw and can confirm this. I don't know what the arrangements are for the 3 core modules yet but so far every professional practice exam has been open book.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I'm at ULaw and can confirm this. I don't know what the arrangements are for the 3 core modules yet but so far every professional practice exam has been open book.
    Thanks guys that's good to know :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    To anyone that has ever had to do bookkeeping or accounting, I feel so bad for you. I've spent all day learning the ins and outs of bookkeeping for the purposes of enforcing tax and I want to cry...

I am so tired my brain is melting. On a positive note, I'll be a seasoned expert for solicitors' accounts on the LPC when I finally do it 😂

Please send motivation.
    Aha I can relate to this on a basic level with TCLA's accounts! It has taken my a couple of years to know the absolute tax basics, and it's still a work in progress. Thankfully there are a few online platforms that make the bookkeeping easier.

• Haha
    Reactions: Anon 11031

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi guys! So... Neigh Neighs is now a Future Trainee Solicitor at Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS) in London 😭

I've taken a few days to think it over and to decide it's 100% me (is it just me or does this process turn you into a bit of a nervous wreck?)--I'm so thrilled, I can't wait to get loads of client contact, loads of construction/real estate and loads of art/luxury goods! And I can't wait to have a work-life balance either!

I'm over the moon, I'm so lucky to get this opportunity and to become a solicitor. Thank you so much TCLA! And I'll free up my Vac Scheme places ;)

Love you all!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi guys! So... Neigh Neighs is now a Future Trainee Solicitor at Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS) in London 😭

I've taken a few days to think it over and to decide it's 100% me (is it just me or does this process turn you into a bit of a nervous wreck?)--I'm so thrilled, I can't wait to get loads of client contact, loads of construction/real estate and loads of art/luxury goods! And I can't wait to have a work-life balance either!

I'm over the moon, I'm so lucky to get this opportunity and to become a solicitor. Thank you so much TCLA! And I'll free up my Vac Scheme places ;)

Love you all!

Huge congrats! You've done so well to get as many vacation schemes as you have. And CRS is an absolutely fantastic firm that is on the up. Everyone I've ever met from there has been amazingly friendly! You'll fit right in ;)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Love you all!
    Absolutely buzzing for you! Huge congrats, now go out and get drunk to celebrate!

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    Just been offered a Training Contract at my top choice US law firm. Completely over the moon + shocked!!

Been an active member here since 2019 (and pursuing a TC longer than this). Can't begin to describe how many hours I have spent writing applications and prepping for AC's/VS's. It was so incredibly tough to take so many rejections (at one point I received 9 post AC rejections in a row) and I honestly thought so many times I was just not good enough and I should just give up.

My stats over the years are:
    95 applications for law firms
    72 rejections pre-AC
    22 AC's
    17 rejections post-AC
    5 VS offers
    2 rejections post VS (so far)
    1 TC offer

This community has been such a source of inspiration and motivation. There have been so many members here who I might not ever meet, but spent the time to write to me to help and reassure me that I can do this if I stay motivated and resilient, and that I shouldn't give up. I hope my stats illustrate that it is possible if you keep going and and try to keep improving in each application/AC/VS. It just takes one yes!

I hope to be active here to help others the same way others have helped me in the process. Thank you so much Jaysen and TCLA members for creating this platform!

Last edited:

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Huge congrats! You've done so well to get as many vacation schemes as you have. And CRS is an absolutely fantastic firm that is on the up. Everyone I've ever met from there has been amazingly friendly! You'll fit right in ;)

Absolutely buzzing for you! Huge congrats, now go out and get drunk to celebrate!

Thanks guys!!!!! There has been a lot of freaking out and getting myself wound up the last few days, the second I made the firm decision today I realised it was the right one for me. I don't want to do massive M&A deals and I don't want to do all nighters--happy to earn a bit less in exchange for more of a balance. Ultimately I think CRS is absolutely the right fit for me. I couldn't be happier, have learnt so much about myself in the process 😭

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Just been offered a Training Contract at my top choice US law firm. In complete shock.

Been an active member here since 2019 (and pursuing a TC longer than this). Can't begin to describe how many hours I have spent writing applications and prepping for AC's/VS's. It was so incredibly tough to take so many rejections (at one point I received 9 post AC rejections in a row) and I honestly thought so many times I was just not good enough and I should just give up.

72 rejections pre-AC
    22 AC's
    17 rejections post-AC
    5 VS offers
    1 TC offer

This community has been such a source of inspiration and motivation. There have been so many members here who I might not ever meet, but spent the time to write to me to help and reassure me that I can do this if I stay motivated and resilient, and that I shouldn't give up. I hope my stats illustrate that it is possible if you keep going and and try to keep improving in each application/AC/VS. It just takes one yes!

I hope to be active here to help others the same way others have helped me in the process. Thank you so much Jaysen and TCLA members for creating this platform!
    Oh my God CONGRATS!!!!!! 🥳:eek:🥳🥳🥳🥳😭 SO DESERVED

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Just been offered a Training Contract at my top choice US law firm. In complete shock.

72 rejections pre-AC
    22 AC's
    17 rejections post-AC
    5 VS offers
    1 TC offer

Massive!!!!!! Well done!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

72 rejections pre-AC
    22 AC's
    17 rejections post-AC
    5 VS offers
    1 TC offer

Fantastic! Who's the lucky firm?

As someone with a similar profile (at least when it comes to trying to get a TC) I think this is very motivating! Great job!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Love you all!

72 rejections pre-AC
    22 AC's
    17 rejections post-AC
    5 VS offers
    1 TC offer

Incredibly proud of you guys, well done!

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021

Love you all!

A fantastic choice of firm I must say ;)

Congratulations again!!!!! 🐎

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.