2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

axd

Dec 11, 2020
Hi all, I know this has been spoken about a lot before but I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to approach asking for an extension on a decision re a training contract offer so that you can complete another vac scheme to compare etc.? I obviously want to be respectful and tactful but not sure what the 'acceptable' approach normally is?

@Jessica Booker

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
Hi, I missed this a few days ago but I've linked a really detailed post I made touching on this below. Just going to re-iterate that if your VVS involves doing fixed assessments, there's a much higher chance that your TC interview will be more traditional (competencies, why this firm etc.). If the VVS does involve doing live work and actually interacting with people at the firm more tangibly outside of just talks and presentations, then it's more likely to be more reflective (although I wouldn't say that alone makes it any less rigorous)

The firm I did a VS at last week had three interviews - two rigorous assessments and one more reflective interview for the work we did. Do most firms only have one TC interview?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    The firm I did a VS at last week had three interviews - two rigorous assessments and one more reflective interview for the work we did. Do most firms only have one TC interview?
    Oh wow, that is a lot! Most firms definitely only do one TC interview after the vac.

Reactions: JayC

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, I know this has been spoken about a lot before but I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to approach asking for an extension on a decision re a training contract offer so that you can complete another vac scheme to compare etc.? I obviously want to be respectful and tactful but not sure what the 'acceptable' approach normally is?

@Jessica Booker
    1) call them rather than email. Tone accounts for a lot here, which can't be read clearly in an email.

2) explain you want to make as thought through decision as possible and to do this you feel it is important to do the vacation scheme.

3) ask if there is any flexibility to the offer date deadline and if so, what could this be from their perspective to ensure all the necessary onboarding processes can be done. Or give them date you would like your offer to be extended until.

Reactions: AspiringSol and axd

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Doesn't surprise me, especially if it was done virtually. Although some firms only do one interview, they still tend to do “assessed” sessions during the vacation scheme itself. I would actually say one interview on it's own as the only assessments rare.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Dheepa and JayC

axd

Dec 11, 2020
    1) call them rather than email. Tone accounts for a lot here, which can't be read clearly in an email.

2) explain you want to make as thought through decision as possible and to do this you feel it is important to do the vacation scheme.

3) ask if there is any flexibility to the offer date deadline and if so, what could this be from their perspective to ensure all the necessary onboarding processes can be done. Or give them date you would like your offer to be extended until.
    Thanks, this is really helpful.

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Would anyone have access to "The City" or "The Lawyer Signal" sections of The Lawyer by any chance?

Would be of great help, as I'd like to read an article but don't have a subscription.

Last edited:

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    So I've just received an 'interview' invite from the 'Shortlister' platform for Dechert. Is this the VI? I'd pretty much given up on them at this point and the link looks a little dodgy. Pls advise!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I will probably be absent when this *thread* closes, but, I must say we have all come so far!
    I would have never thought I would be in the position I am now if you had asked me when I joined last year and I owe it to the incredible support I have gotten on here.

Congrats everyone! 🥳
    Meryl Streep GIF

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I will probably be absent when this forum closes, but, I must say we have all come so far!
    I would have never thought I would be in the position I am now if you had asked me when I joined last year and I owe it to the incredible support I have gotten on here.

Congrats everyone! 🥳
    Meryl Streep GIF
    The forum isn't closing - just the thread! I'd encourage everyone to use the general discussion thread going forward!

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm assuming we'll still be able to read prior messages upon closure of this forum? Or will they be deleted?
    The thread will still exist and the posts will still be there for people to see.... It is just that you won't be able to add further posts to it.

We will start a new vacation scheme thread when applications open in the late summer/early autumn.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and djqb
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.