2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KS94

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    I have finally been offered a vacation scheme by a firm I'm really keen on!

However, due to difficulties with annual leave, I may be unable to undertake the scheme (it is 2 weeks plus a separate 1 day event as the final stage).

GR said they completely understand and they said I should apply for a direct TC - but I should apply all over again despite the process being the same?

Has anyone experienced something similar? I just find it strange they want me to even redo the VI because surely if I was offered a vac scheme I'm at least able to skip that part?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have finally been offered a vacation scheme by a firm I'm really keen on!

However, due to difficulties with annual leave, I may be unable to undertake the scheme (it is 2 weeks plus a separate 1 day event as the final stage).

GR said they completely understand and they said I should apply for a direct TC - but I should apply all over again despite the process being the same?

Has anyone experienced something similar? I just find it strange they want me to even redo the VI because surely if I was offered a vac scheme I'm at least able to skip that part?
    It is quite common for firms to ask people to reapply if ultimately you are turning down a vacation scheme.

Some to just convert your application over, but given it's often the case that firmware looking for slightly different things in a TC application, they can just think it's better/fairer for you to reapply and for them to pick up your application from there.

It could be the case that the video interview questions are different for the VS and the TC and that they want to benchmark you against the TC applicant pool rather than against the VS applicant pool.

BorgP95

Jan 31, 2021
    Just found out that I managed to convert my VS last week into a TC!!

Absolutely over the moon, can't wait to get started and just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread. The amount of helpful advice has been incredible and it was definitely a comfort to be able to come here and 'be around' other people going through the same process!

Good luck to everyone moving forward, it has been a pleasure :)

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    It is quite common for firms to ask people to reapply if ultimately you are turning down a vacation scheme.

Some to just convert your application over, but given it's often the case that firmware looking for slightly different things in a TC application, they can just think it's better/fairer for you to reapply and for them to pick up your application from there.

It could be the case that the video interview questions are different for the VS and the TC and that they want to benchmark you against the TC applicant pool rather than against the VS applicant pool.
    Hi Jessica, would you mind elaborating a bit on what different things firms might be looking for on a TC application as opposed to a VS?

E1998

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    For an interview does anyone have any advice on being asked to prepare a presentation on something I am passionate about? I must apologise, as this isn't for a vac scheme but for a commercial / business internship for a large well known company. I was thinking of basing it around weightlifting / the mental health benefits of exercise as that is like my main hobby haha. But does it need to really be a commercial topic or something more like campaigny? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense I am just rather sleep deprived...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, would you mind elaborating a bit on what different things firms might be looking for on a TC application as opposed to a VS?
    They can take a bit of a gamble with vac scheme applicants. They can aim off on minor things that may usually worry them, particularly in terms of career motivation.

With TC applicants you are typically having to be a bit more certain the applicant is going to meet the criteria you are looking for.

Reactions: Lumree

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    For an interview does anyone have any advice on being asked to prepare a presentation on something I am passionate about? I must apologise, as this isn't for a vac scheme but for a commercial / business internship for a large well known company. I was thinking of basing it around weightlifting / the mental health benefits of exercise as that is like my main hobby haha. But does it need to really be a commercial topic or something more like campaigny? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense I am just rather sleep deprived...
    I think these things should generally be taken at face value: present it about something you're genuinely passionate about, don't try and fake your interest for the sake of the presentation as it will just seem contrived.

These presentations are much less about your substantive topic and much more about your ability to make a presentation, justify your position on something you say is interesting/ important, etc.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The thread will still exist and the posts will still be there for people to see.... It is just that you won't be able to add further posts to it.

We will start a new vacation scheme thread when applications open in the late summer/early autumn.

Just to clarify this - as @Jessica Booker said, all I'm doing is locking this particular thread to new posts and moving the discussion into a new thread. Nothing is really changing, and you'll be able to read all of these posts!

Well done to all the recent TC offer holders, this is excellent to see :)

E1998

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    I think these things should generally be taken at face value: present it about something you're genuinely passionate about, don't try and fake your interest for the sake of the presentation as it will just seem contrived.

These presentations are much less about your substantive topic and much more about your ability to make a presentation, justify your position on something you say is interesting/ important, etc.
    Thank you very much!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.