2nd Year Non-Law Vac Scheme Applications

ironspears45

Nov 21, 2023
I was just wondering does it make more sense to focus on First Year Scheme and Open Day applications this year and then Vac Scheme applications next year as a 2nd year non-law student? It seems like most firms are looking to recruit 2 years in advance, which wouldn't give me enough time to complete my final year, GDL and LPC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was just wondering does it make more sense to focus on First Year Scheme and Open Day applications this year and then Vac Scheme applications next year as a 2nd year non-law student? It seems like most firms are looking to recruit 2 years in advance, which wouldn't give me enough time to complete my final year, GDL and LPC.
Check what you are eligible for with each firm, as different firms will have different deadlines for non-law students Vs law students. For some firms you will need to apply to vacation schemes this year, but for others they will direct you to schemes during your final year instead.

ayassin123

Dec 28, 2023
Check what you are eligible for with each firm, as different firms will have different deadlines for non-law students Vs law students. For some firms you will need to apply to vacation schemes this year, but for others they will direct you to schemes during your final year instead.
hey jessica, im pretty new here. I am a non law first year student who wants to try and secure a VS/TC next year. do u know what i can do until next year to maximise my chances. also, do u know any firms of the top of ur head which offer 2nd year non law students VS offers? thxs

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey jessica, im pretty new here. I am a non law first year student who wants to try and secure a VS/TC next year. do u know what i can do until next year to maximise my chances. also, do u know any firms of the top of ur head which offer 2nd year non law students VS offers? thxs
I don't know the specifics of which firms offer particular programmes, unfortunately.

I would look out for open days/insight programmes this year. I would also consider completing 1-2 virtual work experience programmes too. I would also try to get some positions of responsibility on campus this year, even if it is towards the end of this academic year - elections will typically happen in the Spring for executive/committee roles.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.