Kevin Chan

Mar 24, 2020
Thanks Jessica. Yes, I checked the UCAS tariff calculator and came up with that figure with 3 subjects (unfortunately). I am well aware that under such circumstances, it wouldn't be possible to conduct a direct training contract application (referring to the law firms that have certain A-level requirements). Would it be a good choice if I gain more work experience placements for a few years (e.g. as a paralegal) before considering a training contract in a relatively further future?

The multiple subject is not taken into consideration as such - it is the weight of the gradings you have obtained across the qualification (like the IB is multiple subjects but you still need good grades - mainly 6/7s across those). If that is equivalent to AEE at A-level then unfortunately firms with a A-level criteria are unlikely to consider your application based on it being equivalent to AEE. Have you checked this equivalency on the UCAS tariff calculator?

Some MC firms do not have an A-level requirement though.

A masters does not necessarily outweigh poor A-levels unfortunately. It’s really not as simple as that. However, if your application form is strong elsewhere, some firms will look past the grades, especially those with no A-level criteria. But there will have to be no question of your academic ability elsewhere (eg module grades in undergrad) and also a good performance in psychometric tests too can help.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica. Yes, I checked the UCAS tariff calculator and came up with that figure with 3 subjects (unfortunately). I am well aware that under such circumstances, it wouldn't be possible to conduct a direct training contract application (referring to the law firms that have certain A-level requirements). Would it be a good choice if I gain more work experience placements for a few years (e.g. as a paralegal) before considering a training contract in a relatively further future?

You don’t weigh your grades up across three subjects. You have to take all your grades and calculate your total UCAS points. What is your total UCAS points across all subjects studied?

Reactions: Kevin Chan

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With 2 core modules and 3 electives, it would make 112 points, equivalent to BBC. Thanks so much , for I never knew how it was actually calculated.

Yes - it is a bit short but a lot better than AEE. A firm with AAB would be expected 138 UCAS points.

Maybe focus your efforts on making sure your academics are strong (module grades/overall classification) and think about applying to firms that don’t have UCAS points requirements.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.