Abbreviating firm names

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Any views/advice on this? I know some are more traditional than others. But would help a lot with word count on application questions.

E.g just an example Herbert Smith Freehills=HSF or WFW for Watson Farley William

Bit confusing as even firms refer to themselves differently is various materials.

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Any views/advice on this? I know some are more traditional than others. But would help a lot with word count on application questions.

E.g just an example Herbert Smith Freehills=HSF or WFW for Watson Farley William

Bit confusing as even firms refer to themselves differently is various materials.

Great question!

Personally, I would abbreviate longer names e.g. "Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer" to just "Freshfields" or "Norton Rose Fulbright to just "Norton Rose" but I never did initials. That was just for me though, I'm not too sure whether law firms would have a problem with it - as you said, it can save a lot of space. Especially firms like BCLP!

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
So for me, the first time I mention the firm, I write out the full name with the abbreviation in a bracket: i.e Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF). After this, I then use only the abbreviated name throughout the application.

I just believe you have to be consistent with whichever one you want to use, I'm sure firms understand that their long names take up word count.

Even then, I personally wouldn't abbreviate firms like CC, L&W (Latham) etc.

Hope this helps!

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Great question!

Personally, I would abbreviate longer names e.g. "Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer" to just "Freshfields" or "Norton Rose Fulbright to just "Norton Rose" but I never did initials. That was just for me though, I'm not too sure whether law firms would have a problem with it - as you said, it can save a lot of space. Especially firms like BCLP!

I went to an open day at NRF, and the grad lady said they didn't like it when people called them 'Norton Rose' - I'm not too sure how serious they take this though!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    So for me, the first time I mention the firm, I write out the full name with the abbreviation in a bracket: i.e Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF). After this, I then use only the abbreviated name throughout the application.

I just believe you have to be consistent with whichever one you want to use, I'm sure firms understand that their long names take up word count.

Even then, I personally wouldn't abbreviate firms like CC, L&W (Latham) etc.

Hope this helps!

This is good advice. I would first check if the firm or legal news sites commonly use an abbreviation. If yes, make it clear as @Lawgirlxo said-- brackets or quotation markets or both.

And if the firm has said they don't like abbreviations, definitely avoid it! I think in Norton Rose's case, by abbreviating the firm, you are ignoring a key part of the firm name (the merged firm).

Reactions: Lawgirlxo

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I’ve noticed each firm refers to themselves differently on the application. Bclp say bclp in the application questions. Hebert Smith Freehills do not say hsf.
    Just a bit confusing!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.