Accelerated LPC vs NON accelerated?! Help!

NCLaw

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2018
Hi everyone. I need to make a decision soon on whether to do the accelerated LPC at ULaw or the standard length course. Could someone tell me honestly how they found the accelerated course as this is what I'm leaning towards? It makes more sense for me financially but the intensity of the shorter length course is scaring me. I would be grateful for any insights 😊

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone. I need to make a decision soon on whether to do the accelerated LPC at ULaw or the standard length course. Could someone tell me honestly how they found the accelerated course as this is what I'm leaning towards? It makes more sense for me financially but the intensity of the shorter length course is scaring me. I would be grateful for any insights 😊
I have friends doing the accelerated course and I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it is more intense than the standard LPC, which isn't easy by any means but is more manageable in terms of your workload.

I think the accelerated LPC is a good course to take up if you know how to study for the LPC and seek the right support. Understand that the LPC is designed to test the breadth of knowledge over depth and so start using legacy notes early on and keep your tutors in the loop about how you're prepping. Also keep in touch with your classmates to discuss revision strategies and make study groups if you prefer learning in that manner.

The key is to stay on top of everything so know what's going on in class (even if you don't have time to prep for it 😅) and make really good seminar and tutorial notes.

Reactions: Erin and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@NCLaw Can I ask why you’re doing the LPC over the SQE? I’m thinking of doing the standard LPC in January 2023 but the SQE seems like the more sensible option :(
I think this person has already secured a TC and their firm wants them to do the LPC.

For anyone who is self funding the LPC, I strongly encourage them to consider whether the SQE will be a better route for them, given the LPC is being phased out.

tcplz

Premium Member
Aug 12, 2019
@Jessica Booker Thank you for your response. I’m terrible at multiple choice style exams and after having looked at some SQE1 mock qs, I know I won’t do very well😅 I got through to a few ACs last cycle so I was hoping that once I do the LPC, I’ll have more of a chance at getting through that round and then get a TC for 2024.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Thank you for your response. I’m terrible at multiple choice style exams and after having looked at some SQE1 mock qs, I know I won’t do very well😅 I got through to a few ACs last cycle so I was hoping that once I do the LPC, I’ll have more of a chance at getting through that round and then get a TC for 2024.
Just be mindful that most firms will be recruiting for 2025 or 2026 by that time and therefore are likely to have moved to the SQE anyway. If you do the LPC you'll get an exemption from SQE1 (the multiple choice questions you mention) but that is quite a long-winded and expensive way of getting through/past SQE1 in mu opinion.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Just to add to the advice already given - the LPC exams at BPP have become increasingly MCQ focused from this year. The exam format has changed significantly from previous years (fewer long-form and more MCQ). So it'll be hard to avoid MCQs completely whatever route you take!

Last edited:

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Do ask BPP about the make up of the 2022/23 LPC. The 2021/22 was open book (exams in the exam hall of proctored via webcam) which is a massive contrast with SQE1 I think; also this summer's BPP LPC tended to have most of the marks NOT multiple choice (although this may have changed for 2022/23).

Last edited:
    Reactions: tcplz

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Do ask BPP about the make up of the 2022/23 LPC. The 2021/22 was open book (exams in the exam hall of proctored via webcam) which is a massive contracts with SQE1 I think; also this summer's BPP LPC tended to have most of the marks NOT multiple choice (although this may have changed for 2022/23).
    It has changed from January 2023. Still open book - however, the allocation of marks to MCQs has considerably increased to my understanding. Most core modules now allocate 40% of marks to MCQs, with one module having 60% allocated to MCQs.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Interesting. I just tried to check but am not sure if I was looking at last year or this eg Business Law - probably last year but I cannot remember if that 30 : 20 ratio (scenarios to MCQ was like last year)
    "Each paper is worth 50 marks and will consist of a combination of multiple-choice questions (20 marks) and of scenarios with questions based on those scenarios (30 marks)."

If it is open book plus more multiple choice than ever it is probably easier

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.