Accutrainee Interview

Tom L

Nov 23, 2018
I've been invited to Accutrainee's assessment centre next week. I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any prior experience with their process and could provide any tips?

The assessment centre consists of the following:
1. Presentation on topic of my choice
2. Competency interview
3. Written exercise

Many thanks in advance!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I've been invited to Accutrainee's assessment centre next week. I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any prior experience with their process and could provide any tips?

The assessment centre consists of the following:
    1. Presentation on topic of my choice
    2. Competency interview
    3. Written exercise

Many thanks in advance!

I'm interviewing a trainee at Accutrainee next week! Let me see if I can get some advice for you.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Tom L

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Here you go:

“In terms of the assessment day, they usually start with the presentation and, since that's the prepared piece, if you can nail that it will make a really good first impression.

From memory it's the interview next. This will either be with just Susan Cooper or with Susan and Elizabeth (a consultant who helps with the professional development side of things and happens to be my mentor). They should start by asking a few follow-up questions on your presentation and will then delve more into your CV, experiences, why Accutrainee, why law, where else you've applied in the past (for training contracts), what went wrong in those experiences and what you think your main areas for improvement are...those last two bits sound daunting but I realise now that the reason they ask is because they are actually looking to identify how they can help you if they take you on as a trainee. I found also that if you have non-legal experience as well (after graduating from uni) then they may challenge you on why you departed from the legal sector etc. Susan is notoriously stern / confrontational in these interviews (although I didn't find her to be) but don't be put off by that; she's just testing you and isn't really like that in real life. It's also not a reflection on how well the interview actually went (e.g. I didn't feel that my Accutrainee assessment day was my best by any means, but it ended up bthe one that landed me the training contract).

The next part is the written exercise. This is usually where you're given a business question (e.g. what strategies you can use to help increase profits / cut costs) to answer on paper. From memory I think the time limit is half an hour. After that the final bit is a more attention-to-detail-orientated exercise where you mark up a draft contract for basic non-legal errors etc. I don't remember it being particularly difficult.

That's pretty much it - Susan should then get back to you about a week or so later. They call some candidates back for a final interview if they feel they need some more assurance before potentially taking you on, but don't feel you're at a disadvantage if they do that to you - from talking to other trainees it actually seems like most of them were in that boat.

Hope it goes well next week!”

Reactions: Ali2020

Tom L

Nov 23, 2018
    Here you go:

“In terms of the assessment day, they usually start with the presentation and, since that's the prepared piece, if you can nail that it will make a really good first impression.

From memory it's the interview next. This will either be with just Susan Cooper or with Susan and Elizabeth (a consultant who helps with the professional development side of things and happens to be my mentor). They should start by asking a few follow-up questions on your presentation and will then delve more into your CV, experiences, why Accutrainee, why law, where else you've applied in the past (for training contracts), what went wrong in those experiences and what you think your main areas for improvement are...those last two bits sound daunting but I realise now that the reason they ask is because they are actually looking to identify how they can help you if they take you on as a trainee. I found also that if you have non-legal experience as well (after graduating from uni) then they may challenge you on why you departed from the legal sector etc. Susan is notoriously stern / confrontational in these interviews (although I didn't find her to be) but don't be put off by that; she's just testing you and isn't really like that in real life. It's also not a reflection on how well the interview actually went (e.g. I didn't feel that my Accutrainee assessment day was my best by any means, but it ended up bthe one that landed me the training contract).

The next part is the written exercise. This is usually where you're given a business question (e.g. what strategies you can use to help increase profits / cut costs) to answer on paper. From memory I think the time limit is half an hour. After that the final bit is a more attention-to-detail-orientated exercise where you mark up a draft contract for basic non-legal errors etc. I don't remember it being particularly difficult.

That's pretty much it - Susan should then get back to you about a week or so later. They call some candidates back for a final interview if they feel they need some more assurance before potentially taking you on, but don't feel you're at a disadvantage if they do that to you - from talking to other trainees it actually seems like most of them were in that boat.

Hope it goes well next week!”

Thank you so much, Jaysen!

Natalie Williams

Jun 15, 2020
    Hello,

I know this is quite an old thread but I've had my second interview and haven't heard anything. It's 2 weeks today, do you think since I've not heard anything for a while that I should assume I haven't got the role?

Thanks in advance!
    Natalie

S Kemp

Jul 15, 2020
    A464650A-1979-46B8-8C97-54E9941CA911.jpeg I had an assessment centre with Accutrainee a couple of weeks ago, and it was honestly the worst assessment centre I’ve ever attended. I was assessed by the two female founders who were extremely unprofessional and at times just plain rude. They were distracted during the video interview, which was delayed and disorganised. You really got the impression that you weren’t being taken as seriously as you would have been if interviewing directly at a Law Firm, and that they were preying on misfortunate candidates to exploit. They questioned any previous failed attempts to gain a TC in an antagonistic, almost mocking way and it is obvious the company is resigned to the belief they are dealing with a pool of less valuable candidates, who need to ‘prove’ their worth. I left the interview early because it was just so bad, and I would strongly advise all aspiring lawyers with any self respect to completely avoid this company. They essentially use the misfortune of wanna be lawyers for profit, selling you to firms to fill in gaps and paying you less money than they are receiving for your employment. A legal pimp with the condescending attitudes to match.

letslovejay

Premium Member
    Jan 2, 2020
    View attachment 1886 I had an assessment centre with Accutrainee a couple of weeks ago, and it was honestly the worst assessment centre I’ve ever attended. I was assessed by the two female founders who were extremely unprofessional and at times just plain rude. They were distracted during the video interview, which was delayed and disorganised. You really got the impression that you weren’t being taken as seriously as you would have been if interviewing directly at a Law Firm, and that they were preying on misfortunate candidates to exploit. They questioned any previous failed attempts to gain a TC in an antagonistic, almost mocking way and it is obvious the company is resigned to the belief they are dealing with a pool of less valuable candidates, who need to ‘prove’ their worth. I left the interview early because it was just so bad, and I would strongly advise all aspiring lawyers with any self respect to completely avoid this company. They essentially use the misfortune of wanna be lawyers for profit, selling you to firms to fill in gaps and paying you less money than they are receiving for your employment. A legal pimp with the condescending attitudes to match.

Hi S Kemp, I hope you are well.
    I was just thinking about my career prospects and I have considered applying to Accutrainee, but more due to self-doubt and worry about securing a VS/TC.
    Would you mind if I spoke more with you about your experience? I'm at a crossroads where I feel like I hadn't considered Accutrainee before, because deep down I know I would prefer a more traditional training contract. That being said, I am also wondering how long I will wait before I receive one. Please drop me a message if you feel comfortable discussing this with me

Best wishes,

J

CJM.UC

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2020
    View attachment 1886 I had an assessment centre with Accutrainee a couple of weeks ago, and it was honestly the worst assessment centre I’ve ever attended. I was assessed by the two female founders who were extremely unprofessional and at times just plain rude. They were distracted during the video interview, which was delayed and disorganised. You really got the impression that you weren’t being taken as seriously as you would have been if interviewing directly at a Law Firm, and that they were preying on misfortunate candidates to exploit. They questioned any previous failed attempts to gain a TC in an antagonistic, almost mocking way and it is obvious the company is resigned to the belief they are dealing with a pool of less valuable candidates, who need to ‘prove’ their worth. I left the interview early because it was just so bad, and I would strongly advise all aspiring lawyers with any self respect to completely avoid this company. They essentially use the misfortune of wanna be lawyers for profit, selling you to firms to fill in gaps and paying you less money than they are receiving for your employment. A legal pimp with the condescending attitudes to match.
    I had an interview with accutrainee a while ago and I second this!! I had only one interviewer who picked fault with EVERYTHING I said, disagreed with everything I said and then asked a number of invasive questions (e.g. list how many applications you made per application cycle, the name of the firms, give me details about your interview experiences). They were less interested in 'me' as a person now (they seemed dismissive of my upcoming internship!) and focused more on my failures haha. Definitely a 'negative' interview! Even the competency questions were phrased in a negative way e.g. tell me a time you communicated inappropriately!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.