Advice needed!

jjcm11

Aug 13, 2021
Hi everyone, I was looking for some advice and it would really help if anyone could give their thoughts!
Im going into my final year of a non-law degree (International Relations) at a Russel Group Uni. My predicted degree grade is a 1st.
I wasn't able to secure any vac schemes in my second year which was really disappointing and honestly made me question whether I should continue on the legal path.
In terms of legal experience, I have a weeks worth of shadowing in a solicitors office, a first year insight day at a magic circle firm and also a couple of virtual legal experiences.
I do plan on continuing with applications this year, (though I will also be applying to other fields simultaneously) I am just unsure on how many/which applications to do.
I know that many firms get their trainees from vac schemes - but I have not completed any vac schemes. Would it be better to apply to vac schemes then?
I would apply directly to TC's but I feel as if I will just get rejected again as my experience isn't extensive in comparison to other candidates.
If I apply for vac schemes, and get rejected, would I not be able to apply for TC's at the same firm for the same cycle? Or would I have to wait?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm kinda stressed and trying to figure out what to do with everything 😬

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For many firms, they wouldn’t take on a non-law applicant for a vacation scheme until their final year anyway, so I feel like you are still at the early stages of considering this career path.

I would apply for vacation schemes to those firms you are eligible for, and apply to direct TCs with firms you can’t do a vacation scheme with. You’d have to check the policy of each firm too - some firms will only allow you to apply once in a recruitment cycle, and so this may influence whether you choose to apply for a vacation scheme or training contract later on in the cycle.

I sense that you are still trying to work out what type of law firm might suit you and therefore which to apply to. This might be what you want to focus your efforts on in the next few months - I’d encourage you to attend more events/seminars/careers fairs to really navigate finding out more about firms and the industry to help you work out which firms you want to apply to and also how many applications you want to make.

Reactions: jjcm11

jjcm11

Aug 13, 2021
For many firms, they wouldn’t take on a non-law applicant for a vacation scheme until their final year anyway, so I feel like you are still at the early stages of considering this career path.

I would apply for vacation schemes to those firms you are eligible for, and apply to direct TCs with firms you can’t do a vacation scheme with. You’d have to check the policy of each firm too - some firms will only allow you to apply once in a recruitment cycle, and so this may influence whether you choose to apply for a vacation scheme or training contract later on in the cycle.

I sense that you are still trying to work out what type of law firm might suit you and therefore which to apply to. This might be what you want to focus your efforts on in the next few months - I’d encourage you to attend more events/seminars/careers fairs to really navigate finding out more about firms and the industry to help you work out which firms you want to apply to and also how many applications you want to make.
Thank you, this has been really helpful!
I guess I have always thought I wanted to do commercial law but after getting rejected so much i've had my doubts.
I'll take your advice and look out for events and seminars!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, this has been really helpful!
I guess I have always thought I wanted to do commercial law but after getting rejected so much i've had my doubts.
I'll take your advice and look out for events and seminars!
Learning to deal with being unsuccessful is a fairly standard process for the career unfortunately. 99% of candidates will experience it whether applying for training contract or vacation schemes. It is not a sign of you not being capable of doing the job, and many of those 99% go on to become trainees.

It is also something to try and get comfortable with, as even once you are in the career, you can experience a lot of it within your day job.

What type of firms are you looking to apply to, and why have you chosen those firms?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.