Akin Gump App Question

ESE

Standard Member
Dec 14, 2018
I'm struggling a bit with the following question, and haven't seen anyone else discussing Akin Gump so far so I figured I'd post it:
'What attracts you to Akin Gump and how do you consider you would add value during a vacation scheme in the London office?'
The first part is obviously just a standard 'why firm X' question, but I'm not as sure how to approach the second part. Especially as it's specific to the vac scheme (if they said as a trainee, that would be different). Not trying to sell myself short, but I feel like it seems a bit delusional (lol) to claim that I'll be able to add any real value to the firm's work, culture, etc. over the course of just two weeks as an intern. I can think of what I'd gain from the experience, and why I might be a good fit, but none of that seems to answer the specific question they're asking.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'm struggling a bit with the following question, and haven't seen anyone else discussing Akin Gump so far so I figured I'd post it:
    'What attracts you to Akin Gump and how do you consider you would add value during a vacation scheme in the London office?'
    The first part is obviously just a standard 'why firm X' question, but I'm not as sure how to approach the second part. Especially as it's specific to the vac scheme (if they said as a trainee, that would be different). Not trying to sell myself short, but I feel like it seems a bit delusional (lol) to claim that I'll be able to add any real value to the firm's work, culture, etc. over the course of just two weeks as an intern. I can think of what I'd gain from the experience, and why I might be a good fit, but none of that seems to answer the specific question they're asking.

The second part is closer to the "why are you a suitable candidate?" and "what transferable skills do you have?" type of question. You're obviously not going to be dealing with clients/closing cases, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't add value to the firm. Try to think on a smaller scale, you're going to be doing real work and you'll be meeting a variety of people across the office, in what ways can you add value there? You'll be sitting with trainees/associates for two weeks; how could you help them?

Reactions: ESE

Eva

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 24, 2018
    The second part is closer to the "why are you a suitable candidate?" and "what transferable skills do you have?" type of question. You're obviously not going to be dealing with clients/closing cases, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't add value to the firm. Try to think on a smaller scale, you're going to be doing real work and you'll be meeting a variety of people across the office, in what ways can you add value there? You'll be sitting with trainees/associates for two weeks; how could you help them?

Agreed with Jaysen - definitely draw upon your past and/or ongoing experience to showcase your transferable skills (and how these would add value during your time with the firm). Do check on the firm's website/brochure for what it looks for in terms of the key competencies and make sure you match these with different examples from your experience.

ESE

Standard Member
    Dec 14, 2018

Thanks guys, that really helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.