Allen & Overy SJT

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Did anyone else not receive a link to the SJT after 24 hours. Starting to get worried as the deadline is approaching and its a Bank Holiday on Monday.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Did anyone else not receive a link to the SJT after 24 hours. Starting to get worried as the deadline is approaching and its a Bank Holiday on Monday.

Someone had an issue earlier in the week or possibly end of last week. Contact them if it’s been more than 24 hours and if the deadline is next week.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Me!! And I contacted graduate recruitment twice but no reply yet..
When did you contact them?

Also, the email post-submission said there would be 48 hours to complete the test. Is that 48 hours from submission or 48 hours from SJT link being sent?

NadineBusty

Valued Member
Aug 21, 2019
When did you contact them?

Also, the email post-submission said there would be 48 hours to complete the test. Is that 48 hours from submission or 48 hours from SJT link being sent?

After the 48 hours, I got a second email saying that I need to complete the test within 5 days or my application won't be considered.

I still haven't received the the test link and the 5 days period will be over on Monday ‍♂️.

Contacted them several times but no reply :(

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
After the 48 hours, I got a second email saying that I need to complete the test within 5 days or my application won't be considered.

I still haven't received the the test link and the 5 days period will be over on Monday ‍♂️.

Contacted them several times but no reply :(

Hmmm maybe they are busy? Its would be a shame if our apps don't get considered because of this!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Should I wait until after the weekend to email again? Or should I email again today and again at the weekend?

If your deadline is Tuesday, call them now. There is little point emailing now though - you are unlikely to get a response in the next 90 minutes if you have already emailed and not had a response.

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020
Hi! Can anyone send the essay questions in the A&O Vacation Scheme application form, so that I could prepare them now, before filling the whole form per se?
Many thanks!
I applied last year and I think the questions have changed slightly. I started the application form and clicked through the questions by typing “XYZ” or something. I then saved the form as a draft and came back to the form once I had completed my answers on a separate word document.

Reactions: Nat000

orange32

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
For the A&O Practice Question, what would you answer? On one hand I'd try to show initiative by seeing if my other tasks can be moved around (option 1), but on the other hand given the number of tasks I have due in the next two days it seems unlikely I'd be able to move them all around, so wouldn't one risk not being able to meet one's deadlines (so we'd go for option 4 - recommend another trainee)

Honestly I find these SJTs just incredibly subjective... really depends on what working style your supervisor prefers etc

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For the A&O Practice Question, what would you answer? On one hand I'd try to show initiative by seeing if my other tasks can be moved around (option 1), but on the other hand given the number of tasks I have due in the next two days it seems unlikely I'd be able to move them all around, so wouldn't one risk not being able to meet one's deadlines (so we'd go for option 4 - recommend another trainee)

Honestly I find these SJTs just incredibly subjective... really depends on what working style your supervisor prefers etc

There can be more than one “right” answer on a SJT.

My advice - don’t think the worst with SJTs though... if you are moving tasks around you are potentially moving some of them beyond 2 days anyway...

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020

I had assumed that the answers in the video were the "correct" answers.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.