Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How SJT’s typically work:

- there is one or two “right answers” - you’ll get a positive score for that

- there is a neutral answer - you’ll get no score for that

- there is a “wrong” answer - you’ll get a negative answer for that

If there are 20 question, the “pass” rate could be as low as 7-8 (typically around 11-12 though). Basically if is really there to filter out people who choose the wrong answers more than anything.

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi, I submitted my A&O application Thursday early morning. I received the confirmation email immediately and it said I should get the SJT link in an hour and if I don’t receive it to email. It doesn’t say who to email.

I assume I should email grad rec’s generic email address?

I saw a few more people on this thread having similar issues. Any suggestions/advise what I should do?

thank you in advance. Just slightly worried because they said the application won’t be considered till the time the test is complete and A&O recruit on a rolling basis.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ll drop Hannah at A&O a quick email to let her know that enough people are not getting links to the SJT as stated. Nothing will get picked up until Tuesday now but just keep persevering with emails or calls as of next weekZ

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: OB, Jaysen, Ibrahim and 4 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Spoken to Hannah this morning.

They were aware of a technical issue a couple of weeks ago but had been reassured that the error had been resolved and so weren’t aware that people had continued to experience the lack of links to the SJT going out.

Hannah is going to look into this and wants to reassure people this will not be a detriment to anyone’s application. Hopefully it will be resolved soon - but I would just try and be patient over this week.

If I get an update, I will let you all know.

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker or anyone else that has got this nailed to a T, for A&O's 'If you could introduce a new law what would it be and why?' question, would a reform be suitable for discussion here, as opposed to an explicit 'new law'? My answer would be to argue why we should reform/change some specifics about out merger control test as I'm interested in competition law. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker or anyone else that has got this nailed to a T, for A&O's 'If you could introduce a new law what would it be and why?' question, would a reform be suitable for discussion here, as opposed to an explicit 'new law'? My answer would be to argue why we should reform/change some specifics about out merger control test as I'm interested in competition law. Any thoughts much appreciated.

It will require a new law, even if it is a reform or change to an existing law, so that is fine.

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    @Jessica Booker got the link this morning. Thank you very much for contacting Hannah!
    @Jessica Booker I clicked on the link I was sent and it brought me to a window which said "Thank you for completing the test.
    We will be in contact with you shortly to confirm the outcome of your application.” I have not yet completed the test. Is this an issue on my end or an issue with the assessment platform?

I have emailed grad rec about this but have not yet had a response.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I clicked on the link I was sent and it brought me to a window which said "Thank you for completing the test.
    We will be in contact with you shortly to confirm the outcome of your application.” I have not yet completed the test. Is this an issue on my end or an issue with the assessment platform?

I have emailed grad rec about this but have not yet had a response.

I can't say with any accuracy.

Have you done the SJT for A&O before in a previous cycle?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, I have. Would my results be recorded?

That is probably why - I only say this as the last contract role I did, the client also used an Ambertrack SJT (they were a nightmare:oops:) and it would just say complete if you were doing it from the same email address.

I am not sure what A&O's response to this is - whether they want you to retake it or whether they will take your last cycle's results. Best to follow up and ask and see what they say. If they do want to you retake it, they will have to manually reset it for you.

Reactions: Alice G

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    That is probably why - I only say this as the last contract role I did, the client also used an Ambertrack SJT (they were a nightmare:oops:) and it would just say complete if you were doing it from the same email address.

I am not sure what A&O's response to this is - whether they want you to retake it or whether they will take your last cycle's results. Best to follow up and ask and see what they say. If they do want to you retake it, they will have to manually reset it for you.

Would it auto-complete regardless of the previous outcome(I ask as I failed the SJT in the last cycle, though passed it recently), or only if it's the same passing outcome?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would it auto-complete regardless of the previous outcome(I ask as I failed the SJT in the last cycle, though passed it recently), or only if it's the same passing outcome?

I don't know unfortunately - you'll need to speak to A&O about this as it depends on their views on how long valid results are for or whether you should retake.

Seems odd that you passed and then failed the SJT unless they had different benchmarks for different vacancies. If they do, then obviously it depends on which benchmark they apply to this vacancy too.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I don't know unfortunately - you'll need to speak to A&O about this as it depends on their views on how long valid results are for or whether you should retake.

Seems odd that you passed and then failed the SJT unless they had different benchmarks for different vacancies. If they do, then obviously it depends on which benchmark they apply to this vacancy too.

Just read the email(SJT Outcome) it said I've passed and my outcome will now be reviewed, and that I am onto the next application stage(even says so in the portal). So I'm not too sure if I should contact grad rec as the e-mail suggests that there isn't a need to? For what it is worth, unlike the above poster, my test was completed normally rather than prematurely.

Regarding passing it this time around, not exactly sure why, but I did practise SJT questions online on sites like Assessment Day, and I scoured through my open day notes to ascertain A&O's values :D, luckily it worked!

Thank you for clarifying! I did e-mail the firm(generally) just to be sure!

Last edited:

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Just read the email(SJT Outcome) it said I've passed and my outcome will now be reviewed, and that I am onto the next application stage(even says so in the portal). So I'm not too sure if I should contact grad rec as the e-mail suggests that there isn't a need to? For what it is worth, unlike the above poster, my test was completed normally rather than prematurely.

Regarding passing it this time around, not exactly sure why, but I did practise SJT questions online on sites like Assessment Day, and I scoured through my open day notes to ascertain A&O's values :D, luckily it worked!

Thank you for clarifying! I did e-mail the firm(generally) just to be sure!
    Could you tell me what exactly your portal says? That ways I'll know if they used my previous SJT score for this app or not :)

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Could you tell me what exactly your portal says? That ways I'll know if they used my previous SJT score for this app or not :)

Sure

So my portal says "under review"(there are 5 stages, I am on the 2nd stage according to the portal). it also says something like "I am pleased to let you know your application is now under review", with the date of when I did my SJT!

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Sure

So my portal says "under review"(there are 5 stages, I am on the 2nd stage according to the portal). it also says something like "I am pleased to let you know your application is now under review", with the date of when I did my SJT!
    Mine says the same thing but I never completed the SJT. Did you pass the SJT?

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    Can someone please help? I am a bit unsure what my SJT situation is. I took the test yesterday. I haven't received an email that says I have passed the SJT but my portal updated to "stage 2- your application is under review" however the date on it is the date I submitted the application not the date I took the test. What does this mean? I emailed grad rec twice but no response. Any one in a similar situation or someone didnt pass it and has a similar update on their portal?

Reactions: AlRJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can someone please help? I am a bit unsure what my SJT situation is. I took the test yesterday. I haven't received an email that says I have passed the SJT but my portal updated to "stage 2- your application is under review" however the date on it is the date I submitted the application not the date I took the test. What does this mean? I emailed grad rec twice but no response. Any one in a similar situation or someone didnt pass it and has a similar update on their portal?

Don't email twice in less than 24 hours! I know everyone has been in a panic about this but multiple emails in such a short time frame is partly the reason why firms can't get back to you as quickly as they would like.

Reactions: 0603

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.