Allen & Overy SJT

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thanks, no they didn't say why they just said, unfortunately, there is nothing they can do. And asked me to send the screenshot again so they can pass it to IT to flag it for future issues (or something along those lines). I was shocked so I just said thanks I'll email it. I've asked in the email if it means I can't reapply for a year too.
    Tbh I'd call them again and say that it seems incredibly unfair that my application is disadvantaged because of a technical issue outside of my control or something along those lines. Why on earth could they not send you another link?!?

Reactions: Miki3999 and Nat000

Star Member
    Sep 4, 2019
    Tbh I'd call them again and say that it seems incredibly unfair that my application is disadvantaged because of a technical issue outside of my control or something along those lines. Why on earth could they not send you another link?!?
    Thanks, I did ask when I first spoke if they could resend it, and the reply was there was nothing they can do. I'm a bit wary of phoning and getting the same person again, would you still call after already asking on the call, and having no reply to the original email and the email after the call today?

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    I just took the SJT and immediately found out in the application portal that I was rejected for the Winter Vacation Scheme. I feel pretty gutted right now because even though I had passed this assessment in a previous application round I still took the time to carefully prepare by looking up the firm's values and taking sample tests online. I felt confident going into the exam and with the responses I had given. Does anyone know if I'm still able to send a direct training contract application this cycle? The firm is one of my top choices.

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    I just took the SJT and immediately found out in the application portal that I was rejected for the Winter Vacation Scheme. I feel pretty gutted right now because even though I had passed this assessment in a previous application round I still took the time to carefully prepare by looking up the firm's values and taking sample tests online. I felt confident going into the exam and with the responses I had given. Does anyone know if I'm still able to send a direct training contract application this cycle? The firm is one of my top choices.

I am sure this must be a mistake!
    Same happened to me, I took the test and my portal said rejection and then a few days later I have received an email saying that I ve passed the test. My portal changed to "under review".

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    I am sure this must be a mistake!
    Same happened to me, I took the test and my portal said rejection and then a few days later I have received an email saying that I ve passed the test. My portal changed to "under review".
    Oh, wow! Thank you for sharing. I have my fingers crossed that the same thing is happening to me! It's really nice to have my hopes back. I've been trying my best to have a positive outlook regarding what the portal said and use the fuel of a "rejection" for crafting even better applications. But sometimes it's hard to do so when you feel like you have given it your best.

• 🤝
    Reactions: 003 and Nat000

H.N.

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 22
    Jul 28, 2020

You’re only allowed to make one application to A&O per cycle unfortunately!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Manifesting

Star Member
    Sep 4, 2019
    Just an update, thanks to everyone for your advice. I heard back from someone else at GR and was sent instructions to clear my internet cache. Then when I clicked the original link I was able to carry on the test where I left it. Not sure if it was just a misunderstanding on my part on the call but glad it's resolved. Received an instant email saying I had passed.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just an update, thanks to everyone for your advice. I heard back from someone else at GR and was sent instructions to clear my internet cache. Then when I clicked the original link I was able to carry on the test where I left it. Not sure if it was just a misunderstanding on my part on the call but glad it's resolved. Received an instant email saying I had passed.
    Ayyyy all's well that ends well! Glad to hear it is all resolved, you passed and that your application will now be reviewed :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: J32 and 003

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I was reading this thread and my heart was honestly going out to you so much, so to read that it all ended well has made my Friday. Well done on passing and fingers crossed for you!! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: J32 and 003

Sara Moon

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 10, 2018
    Does anyone know whether SJT have to be completed by the deadline? The 2022 TC application closes today and I submitted my application yesterday and I noticed that on the A&O website they advise to submit application 48hrs before the deadline so that you can take SJT before the deadline. I thought only application must be submitted by the deadline and then SJT can be completed within 48hrs from that. I haven't received SJT link yet so I'm wondering whether I should just withdraw and go for 2023 TC which has deadline further away.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know whether SJT have to be completed by the deadline? The 2022 TC application closes today and I submitted my application yesterday and I noticed that on the A&O website they advise to submit application 48hrs before the deadline so that you can take SJT before the deadline. I thought only application must be submitted by the deadline and then SJT can be completed within 48hrs from that. I haven't received SJT link yet so I'm wondering whether I should just withdraw and go for 2023 TC which has deadline further away.

I am not 100% sure that withdrawing will mean you can apply again.

If you have applied to A&O before and taken a SJT it maybe the case that you won’t get the link and they will just take the previous results.

Sara Moon

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 10, 2018
    I am not 100% sure that withdrawing will mean you can apply again.

If you have applied to A&O before and taken a SJT it maybe the case that you won’t get the link and they will just take the previous results.

I have applied to A&O before and taken a SJT but failed it that time so I don't think they'll be taking that result (hopefully). I did get an email that I should get the link to SJT within 1 hour and if I don't I should contact grad recruit. I sent them an email just now. I'm not sure by when SJT needs to be completed but if I need to complete it before the deadline then this would be really frustrating because it means my application won't get considered at all and I should have just went for later TCs :( If anyone's having similar issue I will post here what the grad recruitment says if I get a reply.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have applied to A&O before and taken a SJT but failed it that time so I don't think they'll be taking that result (hopefully). I did get an email that I should get the link to SJT within 1 hour and if I don't I should contact grad recruit. I sent them an email just now. I'm not sure by when SJT needs to be completed but if I need to complete it before the deadline then this would be really frustrating because it means my application won't get considered at all and I should have just went for later TCs :( If anyone's having similar issue I will post here what the grad recruitment says if I get a reply.

I would just wait for them to come back to you. If for any reason you do miss the deadline, then ask them whether you can withdraw and reapply for the 2023 vacancy.

Reactions: Sara Moon

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi guys, has anyone heard back after their SJT/ know how long that usually takes?
    I just completed it last night and received an email 5 minutes later stating I passed it but no indication as to when I'll hear more. Thanks :)

T202

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 18, 2019
    Hi guys, has anyone heard back after their SJT/ know how long that usually takes?
    I just completed it last night and received an email 5 minutes later stating I passed it but no indication as to when I'll hear more. Thanks :)

Hiya, I'm still waiting for A&O to email the SJT link. I submitted my application on the 19th September (Saturday). Is it correct to assume that I should be expecting an email probably by the end of today and/or tomorrow?

And do you mind if I can ask when you submitted yours, just trying to work out whether I should be panicking and sending more prayers to hope that there isn't a tech error :(

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hiya, I'm still waiting for A&O to email the SJT link. I submitted my application on the 19th September (Saturday). Is it correct to assume that I should be expecting an email probably by the end of today and/or tomorrow?

And do you mind if I can ask when you submitted yours, just trying to work out whether I should be panicking and sending more prayers to hope that there isn't a tech error :(
    Hey! Honestly, I am not sure. I received the invite for SJT 1 minute after I submitted my application (yesterday). Then, I got an email a few minutes after saying I've passed it so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I do think some people got the email a few days after or so, but I would just give them a call or email them. I received replies to my emails within one hour last week from the grad rec team!!
    Good luck!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: T202

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I know how this might sound but I have known of instances in the past where people have either not put their email address in correctly or people have not been checking their spam/junk folders and firms have communicated to people there. Be sure all details are correct and you have a way of monitoring all correspondence coming to you.

• 🤝
    Reactions: T202

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.