Allen & Overy SJT

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 9, 2019
Has anyone heard back regarding the winter vac scheme? Its been quite a while now so thinking I should take that as a sign
Hey! I had become very impatient and actually called them yesterday to ask for an update. I was told that my app hasn’t been reviewed yet and I should hear back early next week. I applied on the 5th August, so quite early which makes me believe they were reviewing the 2020 TC apps first.
Hope this helps

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hey! I had become very impatient and actually called them yesterday to ask for an update. I was told that my app hasn’t been reviewed yet and I should hear back early next week. I applied on the 5th August, so quite early which makes me believe they were reviewing the 2020 TC apps first.
Hope this helps
Ahhh I see, I applied around the same time as you! I guess that probably makes sense! Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
yes you're right!

Application numbers are probably still relatively low right now. Many recruitment teams will wait for a good number of applications to come through before they start to review them. Its a lot easier to review 30-40 applications a day and get consistency on them, than reviewing 5-8 applications every few days or even once a week.

Reactions: XARA and Alice G

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
do you think a firm like A&O would be cutting down their trainee intake and in turn the number of candidates they take onto their vacation schemes due to the pandemic, like a few other firms have?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
do you think a firm like A&O would be cutting down their trainee intake and in turn the number of candidates they take onto their vacation schemes due to the pandemic, like a few other firms have?
It’s really not easy to say unless the firm publicly states this. It depends on various factors that we, outside of the organisation, can’t know.

Reactions: Miki3999

JJP

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
I am sure this must be a mistake!
Same happened to me, I took the test and my portal said rejection and then a few days later I have received an email saying that I ve passed the test. My portal changed to "under review".

Oh, wow! Thank you for sharing. I have my fingers crossed that the same thing is happening to me! It's really nice to have my hopes back. I've been trying my best to have a positive outlook regarding what the portal said and use the fuel of a "rejection" for crafting even better applications. But sometimes it's hard to do so when you feel like you have given it your best.

Did this ever change for you? The same thing has happened to me just now. Wondering if it's worth holding out the hope it may change. Seems so strange that they've done both.

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
Did this ever change for you? The same thing has happened to me just now. Wondering if it's worth holding out the hope it may change. Seems so strange that they've done both.

Unfortunately, I got a proper rejection a few days later. I didn't post about that ultimate rejection because I was too sad at the time to do so. I've luckily since then bounced back to my optimistic self.

Anyway, since this thread keeps on growing, here are my top tips for future applicants doing A&O's SJT:
  • Take a look at the "What we look for" part of A&O's brochure since the test is measuring your alignment with these. Memorise it, print it out, or do whatever helps you, and then use it to guide your responses when you are stuck between choices.
  • When you do the sample question, take a moment to really understand the logic behind why an answer might be more or less effective. You can find the clip here but you will also be shown it on the test. It really helps to write it out or explain it to a friend.
  • This assessment seems to be the same throughout the years. So, if you successfully have done it in the past, use the same email to apply to A&O as you had done before. It looks like re-applicants who already passed don't have to do the test again due to technical issues with the provider.
  • In the event you don't pass the test, please realise the limitations of this assignment. As a trainee, your responses are going to look a lot more complex and multi-step than any of the test responses look like. One of my mentors is a partner at a City firm and I told them about some of the scenarios after my rejection and they just laughed at how all the responses sucked. Failing this test does in no way mean that you won't be a great solicitor.

sebastianyatra

Dec 18, 2019
Meep - just completed the SJT (applied for Summer Vac scheme), received no confirmation email as to whether it was processed or whether I passed, then checked the portal and it says my app was rejected???!!

Same here, although I remember in another forum someone said they were progressed on to the next stage via email even though they saw a rejection in the application portal first? Not sure if that was a glitch but because of that I'm keeping optimistic until they email me haha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.