Allen & Overy Winter Vacation Scheme 2024

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
I really don’t think you need to link it to law - it’s more than likely going to be obvious what the link is.
Going to slightly disagree with Jessica here - the A&O website on their do's and dont's says:
"Whether it’s heading up a society, working in hospitality, or doing volunteer work – tell us about all of the experiences that have shaped you, and how. Always make the link between what you have learned from those experiences and how it is relevant to a career in law."

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Going to slightly disagree with Jessica here - the A&O website on their do's and dont's says:
"Whether it’s heading up a society, working in hospitality, or doing volunteer work – tell us about all of the experiences that have shaped you, and how. Always make the link between what you have learned from those experiences and how it is relevant to a career in law."
Just shows you the differences and preferences in recruitment, and why speaking to the firm directly is always you best way to get an insight into these things.

Reactions: I’m_Batman

vdktn

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 28, 2022
Oh dear… Unfortunately I submitted a day or two ago…

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Quick question for all here again - the A&O form doesn't seem to let you go back or forth, so I am hesitant to move off the Work Exp section for now. The blurb on the website is as below:

"Whether it’s heading up a society, working in hospitality, or doing volunteer work – tell us about all of the experiences that have shaped you, and how. Always make the link between what you have learned from those experiences and how it is relevant to a career in law. It shows that you have thought about the transferable skills you have gained and also that you have done your research and understand the role and firm you are applying to.

Demonstrate proactivity and motivation to develop your knowledge of the legal industry. Have you attended firm events or completed shadowing alongside your studies? If so, highlight these efforts. A lot of universities host this sort of activities but if yours doesn’t most law firms will run events at their offices or virtually, mainly during the autumn term – take every opportunity to attend those."

Does anyone know if this means we should include attendance at virtual events in the work experience section? @Jessica Booker if you would have any thoughts. Thanks for all your help & comments lately!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Quick question for all here again - the A&O form doesn't seem to let you go back or forth, so I am hesitant to move off the Work Exp section for now. The blurb on the website is as below:

"Whether it’s heading up a society, working in hospitality, or doing volunteer work – tell us about all of the experiences that have shaped you, and how. Always make the link between what you have learned from those experiences and how it is relevant to a career in law. It shows that you have thought about the transferable skills you have gained and also that you have done your research and understand the role and firm you are applying to.

Demonstrate proactivity and motivation to develop your knowledge of the legal industry. Have you attended firm events or completed shadowing alongside your studies? If so, highlight these efforts. A lot of universities host this sort of activities but if yours doesn’t most law firms will run events at their offices or virtually, mainly during the autumn term – take every opportunity to attend those."

Does anyone know if this means we should include attendance at virtual events in the work experience section? @Jessica Booker if you would have any thoughts. Thanks for all your help & comments lately!
They seem to be actively encouraging you to include this detail, so on that basis, do so.

Aug 28, 2023

Hey does it let you go back at the end for a review? I'm also scared to press continue lmao

andrea99

Sep 12, 2023
I just realised that I messed up the work experience section, does anyone know if I withdraw my application, could I edit my work experience section to resubmit it? If not, could I withdraw and still apply for the summer VS? Thanks in advance!

RBUCL

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2021
Has anyone actually left the SJT and then returned to it? I was considering starting it tonight, then doing the video questions tomorrow, but I'm not sure if this is possible?

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    I just realised that I messed up the work experience section, does anyone know if I withdraw my application, could I edit my work experience section to resubmit it? If not, could I withdraw and still apply for the summer VS? Thanks in advance!
    Normally, once it's submitted it's done - you could try to add more information to the application to clarify or send an email with clarification about what the issue is so that it's clear you've been honest to the best of your ability. What did you mess up?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.