Application Q

lb0810

May 11, 2021
I always see a question on applications asking about my hobbies, interests, positions of responsibility, etc... and never know how to approach it properly. What do law firms want me to talk about and in what way - do I just describe my experiences/interests (i.e. describe my responsibilities as a society secretary/peer mentor or that I've competitively trampolined for a long time)? Or is it some other 'form'?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
They are ultimately looking for you to show the things you actively pursue outside of academia and work. It really doesn't matter what you do, its much more about showing you are doing something(s), because ultimately keeping busy will be a transferable skill set, as well the skills you probably develop from those experiences, and also it shows you are an interesting person (e.g. not just a workaholic, because no one enjoys working with a workaholic).

All the things you have mentioned would be things I would include in this. Explain what you do, what responsibilities you have, who you have to work with, and if you have any impact in your interests (e.g. something is better whether it is you, other people, a project, a service etc, for your personal efforts) as well as any prizes, awards, trophies, achievements you may have achieved too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So do I basically describe what it is I do - when discussing my position as a secretary, do I 'list' all of my responsibilities ?
You don't have to necessarily tell someone what a secretary does - that might be obvious. Focus on what you personally achieved in that role (e.g. what wouldn't have happened if you hadn't taken on the role). That is more interesting.

Many interests won't have any responsibilities - they will just be things you commit time and energy to for your personal interest.

Reactions: Alice G

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I always see a question on applications asking about my hobbies, interests, positions of responsibility, etc... and never know how to approach it properly. What do law firms want me to talk about and in what way - do I just describe my experiences/interests (i.e. describe my responsibilities as a society secretary/peer mentor or that I've competitively trampolined for a long time)? Or is it some other 'form'?

To add to what Jess has already said, for these questions I always used a mix of discussing strict positions of responsibility such as things I did for extra curriculars (like the secretary example you mentioned) and just more general interests and hobbies I have. The hobbies don’t necessarily have to be things which you have achieved quantifiable success in (i.e. won prizes/awards) but can just involve smaller personal goals. Even if explaining your interest in them just involves explaining the personal value it’s added to your life - that alone will give the law firm more of an insight into you as person which is ultimately what these application questions want to know.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

lb0810

May 11, 2021
    So, instead of simply describing my responsibilities as a secretary, could I talk about how my role led to my involvement in moving to online events (e.g. I would discuss working with the rest of the committee to brainstorm ideas, sourcing wine for prize by negotiating a price discount with a shop, the society seeing an increase in membership this year)? Or this is not what they would be looking for?

lb0810

May 11, 2021
    Also, when discussing my hobbies/interests - could I say how I have competitively trampolined for several years and because of that, took a judging course and that I have an interest in languages, currently taking a French course at university, have wider interest in linguistics so completed a research project on socio-linguistics of the French language? Sorry for all the questions, I just never know what to say!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    So, instead of simply describing my responsibilities as a secretary, could I talk about how my role led to my involvement in moving to online events (e.g. I would discuss working with the rest of the committee to brainstorm ideas, sourcing wine for prize by negotiating a price discount with a shop, the society seeing an increase in membership this year)? Or this is not what they would be looking for?

Also, when discussing my hobbies/interests - could I say how I have competitively trampolined for several years and because of that, took a judging course and that I have an interest in languages, currently taking a French course at university, have wider interest in linguistics so completed a research project on socio-linguistics of the French language? Sorry for all the questions, I just never know what to say!

All of this sounds great! You should also try to quantify your achievements/responsibilities. For example, with the secretary role, how many online events were you involved in, by what number did the membership increase, how much did you save your club with negotiating the discount etc. This will help give the person that’s reading the app a better idea on the extent of work/effort you put in. The trampoline and linguistics stuff is super interesting! Definitely worth writing about to help you stand out!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes - definitely - these are all things to include because you are making a commitment to something you don’t have to complete if you didn’t want to.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.