Ask a Future Magic Circle (Allen & Overy) Trainee Anything!

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Thank you very much!

You receive feedback at the end of each of your seats, so I do have some.

In my first seat, I didn't get much in the way of feedback. I had completed a lot of work for a lot of different individuals who fed back to my supervisor, and our wash-up call was basically 'yep, completed everything well, everyone was really happy'. The only feedback was that one of the articles I was asked to write on 'soft opt-ins' (pertaining to data protection) was 'a little academic'. However, it was acknowledged that there wasn't really another way for me to do it considering the time frame and my position! Oh yes, I got feedback from a trainee on one piece of work who wanted slightly different information contained in the executive summary of the work I submitted to her - which was fair enough.

In my second seat, I got some thorough feedback - again, nigh all positive. One piece of feedback came from my trainee buddy who wanted an executive summary on the report he asked me to do, and wanted more detail on a certain section (to be honest, I had done executive summaries for all my other work, and I have no idea why I just didn't do it for this one - but it was a little wake-up call!). Nevertheless, my supervisor, in our wash-up meeting said the report was broadly fine and that there wasn't really a problem. 'Tomato-tomato' I guess. Otherwise, I was commended for my other work, asking appropriate, insightful questions at the right junctures, and generally just producing high-quality work, being (appropriately) curious, and, I guess, being nice to work with!

If I remember correctly, in my second seat, my supervisor also commented on my motivation and general competencies, saying that both areas were really strong. So do be aware that you aren't just assessed on your written work, it is about you as a whole!

As a side note - really engage with feedback, whether positive or negative. Don't take it personally (even if you don't think you did anything wrong!) and roll with it. Law firms are looking for trainees who will absorb feedback and quickly turn it into tangible improvement!

I hope that helps!
Ah perfect, that's incredibly helpful, thank you so much!

Just one clarification, what do you mean by executive summary? Is that just sort of the introduction to a written piece of work (e.g. a report, memo, etc.) summarising your main points and conclusions you will come to?

Should you also include a conclusion at the end, even if you have an executive summary?

A

Anon08

Ah perfect, that's incredibly helpful, thank you so much!

Just one clarification, what do you mean by executive summary? Is that just sort of the introduction to a written piece of work (e.g. a report, memo, etc.) summarising your main points and conclusions you will come to?

Should you also include a conclusion at the end, even if you have an executive summary?
HSF, if the scheme is the same as the one I did, will give you a briefing on the first day, explaining how to write legal notes and whether to have an exec summary or a conclusion or both!

An executive summary, at least in the legal notes I produced, is a handful of bullet points, summarising the key points contained within the note as well major findings, which is placed at the very start of a document.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
HSF, if the scheme is the same as the one I did, will give you a briefing on the first day, explaining how to write legal notes and whether to have an exec summary or a conclusion or both!

An executive summary, at least in the legal notes I produced, is a handful of bullet points, summarising the key points contained within the note as well major findings, which is placed at the very start of a document.
Got it, makes sense. Thanks so much for all the advice on this, I really appreciate it!

Legallunchtime98

Standard Member
Feb 23, 2021
Hi Neville!
Just seen this thread so thank you it's really useful! I have a vacation scheme with Herbert Smith Freehills coming up and noticed that you've done a vacation scheme there before (I also did philosophy at uni funnily enough!). I'm really nervous for it especially since it's a virtual one and I've never done a vac scheme before, I was wondering if you could let me know a bit about what you did on yours and any advice or resources you would suggest? Any advice on what kind of work you were expected to do and what the TC interview at the end was like (e.g. what kind of things they focused on) would be great! No worries if you don't feel comfortable sharing, thanks for the help!

A

Anon08

Hi Neville!
Just seen this thread so thank you it's really useful! I have a vacation scheme with Herbert Smith Freehills coming up and noticed that you've done a vacation scheme there before (I also did philosophy at uni funnily enough!). I'm really nervous for it especially since it's a virtual one and I've never done a vac scheme before, I was wondering if you could let me know a bit about what you did on yours and any advice or resources you would suggest? Any advice on what kind of work you were expected to do and what the TC interview at the end was like (e.g. what kind of things they focused on) would be great! No worries if you don't feel comfortable sharing, thanks for the help!

So, if you scroll back through this thread, you'll be able to find my answers to another candidate regarding the scheme (starting from the quoted passage). This should give you some key tips regarding the scheme! However, I'll add some more advice below...

Hey - thank you very much!

So, first, I would really recommend you look at the HSF law firm profile which you can access via TCLA Premium. There's a load of useful information in there to help with your motivational answers, should you need to give any during your scheme. If nothing else, it is a really nice refresher!

Second, I would say that you should really throw yourself into the scheme. I know it is virtual, but everyone at HSF is really kind and keen to get you involved. Organise virtual coffees with individuals in your practice area team (on my scheme, everyone had already booked slots into my diary (in my first seat) when I arrived and each person was so excited to chat and get to know me!). Use these coffees to learn more about them, the practice area you're in, and, naturally, the wider firm.

Third, related to the above point, consider taking on some extra tasks if your supervisor says you should/allows you too. This is not a requirement, and by no means an obligation. It just so happened that in my first seat, my supervisor gave me some tasks but also said I could, if I wanted, go and ask others for work (which I did). Now, I am not going to say that you should take on extra work because it makes you look good, or you can show off, or anything like that. You should take on work because you want to (because you want to learn more, you like the area, etc.) and because you have capacity. Remember to check in with your supervisor and update them on your capacity - if you have too much work, don't be afraid to politely indicate you're at capacity (or even that you might need a little help!), and likewise, if you don't have enough work, you can mention it and they'll get some more tasks for you.

Fourth, ask graduate recruitment to speak to someone in a practice area you are interested in, but didn't get a chance to sit in (if applicable). If this applies to you, like it did for me regarding private equity and international arbitration, let GR know and they'll arrange a virtual coffee with a partner from that team. Again, like everything else, they are really friendly and are actually excited that a vacation scheme student cares enough to inquire after their department! So, if you do have multiple interests, make sure you let GR know and they'd be delighted to set up virtual coffees between you and lawyers from other practice areas.

Fifth, don't overthink it. The majority of your assessment for a training contract is conducted over the scheme via the work you produce and the feedback from your supervisor and trainee buddy. You will have a short TC interview at the end of the scheme but again, this makes up for a relatively small portion of the assessment and you really should not worry too much about it. Focus on producing high-quality work, being attentive to instructions and to detail, and relax - be happy, enjoy yourself, and get to know the teams at HSF. Honestly, the firm is a lovely bunch of individuals and their vacation scheme was 1) a thoroughly enjoyable experience and 2) a great developmental experience!

No doubt you'll be knackered by the end, but it is great fun! Furthermore, HSF are (and I mean this sincerely) so lovely, and this is just a chance for you to get to know them and for them to get to know you. Believe it or not, law firms have to convince you to like them as well!

I hope this helps and good luck!

I'll describe my experience in a little more detail to help align your rough expectations. Please note, however, I know for a fact that in my first seat (which I will get into), I did substantially more work than some other candidates - do not feel like you need to do the same - it was merely a product of a confluence of coincidental factors: my enthusiasm, my supervisor, and the seat I was in.

You are given seat preferences - but, as far as I am aware, you weren't able to state your preference for the team within the department. I got my first two choices: corporate and disputes, and was assigned, in the stated order:
  1. Corporate (TMT)
  2. Disputes (Group 1)
The work I completed was as follows:

First Seat: Corporate (TMT)

1) Drafted two clauses in a large partnership contract. Checked the agreement for typos and formatting errors, making the relevant amendments.
2) Identified key clauses pertaining to specific data protection concerns in four NDAs.
3) Wrote a legal note summarising key differences between the Dubai International Financial Centre Data Protection Law 2020 (DIFC DPL) and the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 (GDPR).
4) Produced a summary of section one of the European Commission's 'Guidelines on the Lead Supervisory Authority'.
5) Drafted a blog article on the use of soft opt-ins under the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulation 2003 (PECR) and GDPR.
6) Conducted a comparison redline for a 68-page international data transfer agreement. Checked the agreement for typos and formatting errors, making the relevant amendments.
7) Drafted a blog article on the Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation's (CDEI) report on algorithmic bias.

Second Seat: Disputes (Group 1: General Commercial Litigation)

1) Wrote a legal note on whether actual knowledge of a warranty breach (prior to contracting under a SPA) constitutes a bar to a relevant warranty claim.
2) Wrote a report on the recent economic, political and legal industry updates in Egypt.
3) Began drafting a chronology based on over 10 email chains.

Note that I completed substantially less work in my second seat as a result of the kind of work available, and because your second (working) week is effectively cut short because of your final interview (all your work must be submitted to your interviewer by approximately midway through your penultimate day, and your supervisor needs to give you feedback).

Training Contract Interview
As I might have mentioned in a previous answer - the TC interview is the easiest and most relaxed (for me) part of the whole process. Mine lasted approximately 10 minutes and was a casual chat about how I found the virtual scheme, why I was interested in international arbitration/advocacy/HSF, and how I found the work coming from a Philosophy degree. Don't worry about this part; it really only accounts (if you had to put a number on it) 10-20% of your assessment - by the time you've finished your weeks of work, everyone's minds are pretty much made up.

Personal Background
You might be reading this and freaking out about the work, either with regard to its quantity or with regard to its technical nature. I want to highlight a few things:
  1. I am a non-law student (Philosophy).
  2. I do not have a particularly strong interest in, or even much knowledge about, TMT.
  3. I knew nothing about data protection.
  4. I knew nothing about Egypt.
  5. I did not know anything about actual knowledge/the details of a warranty breach.
  6. I had minimal drafting experience prior to this vacation scheme.
All of this work can be done provided you are enthusiastic, are able to learn quickly on the job, and put in the effort. As I have mentioned in previous replies - work hard, take time to sit and think before then going to ask insightful questions at the appropriate junctures to your supervisor, and, crucially, smile and enjoy yourself. Like everyone else, the people you work with will get a 'vibe' off you - at the very least, ensure that they feel that they want to talk to you and work with you, rather than they feel like they have to.

As I have mentioned, but I'll finish with this, HSF is quite simply one of a group of some of the loveliest individuals. Everyone is unbelievably welcoming and enthusiastic about you. So, please don't worry about it! HSF was my first 'proper' vacation scheme, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - I hope you will too!

I hope this helps - feel free to ask any clarificatory/follow-up questions, and good luck!

LawGrad19

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
Hi Neville - I hope you are well!

I read that you did a vacation scheme with Bird & Bird which is amazing! I was wondering if you had any advice for me? I have a direct TC AC coming up and I'm really nervous as I've never done one of these before. Are there any tips that you have either specific to Bird & Bird's AC's or things I should know about for this particular interview? Thanks in advance!

A

Anon08

Hi Neville - I hope you are well!

I read that you did a vacation scheme with Bird & Bird which is amazing! I was wondering if you had any advice for me? I have a direct TC AC coming up and I'm really nervous as I've never done one of these before. Are there any tips that you have either specific to Bird & Bird's AC's or things I should know about for this particular interview? Thanks in advance!
Hey, thanks for your question!

First, congratulations on the AC - this year's competition has been stiff, with applications up anywhere between 40-80%, so well done!

Second, regarding advice for ACs/specifically Bird & Bird (please note that my experience/assessments may differ from what you will have - especially given the virtual format!). When I did my AC, for a VS, in February 2020, I had the following assessments:
  1. Competency/Motivational Interview

2. Group Exercise

3. Written Exercise
The competency/motivational interview (which I'll just refer to as 'the interview') was really straightforward. I had about 30 minutes in front of two partners, and I was asked the very typical career/firm motivational questions, some pretty standard competency questions (the whole 'tell me about a time' stuff), and, if I remember correctly, one or two competency-situational judgement questions (how would you react/what would you do if you had to do something that contravened your [insert competency here]?). For an idea of questions that could be asked (not just in this AC, but in others too), see: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/.

The group exercise was quite simple too. This was entirely non-legal. We were each given a document, which outlined your specific brief (each person had specific objectives) and everyone else's (so you knew what others wanted to achieve as well). We then had approximately 45-minutes to discuss the situation at hand, negotiate and persuade each other to achieve certain things. Naturally, each person wanted to achieve their objectives - however, the real test was to know when to compromise and to ensure the overall success, or placation (for want of a better word!), of your teammates.

The written exercise was also non-legal. We had about 45-60 minutes to read a bundle of documents, regarding a business that was having certain innovation/expansion ideas, and produce a consultancy-style report (essentially give an analysis of the proposals in the brief, and think of some solutions/workarounds). Nothing too complex, but make sure you keep an eye on the time.

My advice, unfortunately or otherwise, is pretty standard here:
  1. For the competency/motivational interview - know your answers inside out and make sure they incorporate specific detail. Bird & Bird is a smaller, more unique firm, and therefore will want to see strong motivation and a candidate who matches their ethos.

2. For the group exercise - use the following framework (I have written about this elsewhere on the forum): make three major contributions (in the first third (of your time), in the second third, and in the final third). Naturally, you can contribute outside of that time - but ensuring you make substantive contributions in those slots means that you establish your contribution to the group whilst guaranteeing you do not overpower the conversation. At the beginning of the exercise, offer to be the time-keeper and give your group regular time checks (don't miss them, otherwise this counts against you!). Finally, when you speak, make sure to thank the person who spoke before you (use their name) and then when you finish talking, rope another teammate in who the conversation is relevant to or someone who hasn't spoken in a while (again, do so using their name).

3. For the written exercise - a simple yet strong structure is essential to segment your points and to stay on track. Make sure you read the whole brief at an appropriate pace (yes, it is a lot, but it is doable), and answer any specific questions that are contained within. Always write clearly, rather than trying to be verbose to show off. Keep an eye on the time - it will run away from you if you do not set yourself mini-deadlines (e.g., finish section x by y). Employ your technical knowledge but not to the detriment of your common sense/critical thinking.
Do look through this thread/my posts on the forum as there is probably some information that might be relevant to your position - however, if you still have any follow-up questions, feel free to post them!

LawGrad19

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
Hey, thanks for your question!

First, congratulations on the AC - this year's competition has been stiff, with applications up anywhere between 40-80%, so well done!

Second, regarding advice for ACs/specifically Bird & Bird (please note that my experience/assessments may differ from what you will have - especially given the virtual format!). When I did my AC, for a VS, in February 2020, I had the following assessments:
  1. Competency/Motivational Interview

2. Group Exercise

3. Written Exercise
The competency/motivational interview (which I'll just refer to as 'the interview') was really straightforward. I had about 30 minutes in front of two partners, and I was asked the very typical career/firm motivational questions, some pretty standard competency questions (the whole 'tell me about a time' stuff), and, if I remember correctly, one or two competency-situational judgement questions (how would you react/what would you do if you had to do something that contravened your [insert competency here]?). For an idea of questions that could be asked (not just in this AC, but in others too), see: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/.

The group exercise was quite simple too. This was entirely non-legal. We were each given a document, which outlined your specific brief (each person had specific objectives) and everyone else's (so you knew what others wanted to achieve as well). We then had approximately 45-minutes to discuss the situation at hand, negotiate and persuade each other to achieve certain things. Naturally, each person wanted to achieve their objectives - however, the real test was to know when to compromise and to ensure the overall success, or placation (for want of a better word!), of your teammates.

The written exercise was also non-legal. We had about 45-60 minutes to read a bundle of documents, regarding a business that was having certain innovation/expansion ideas, and produce a consultancy-style report (essentially give an analysis of the proposals in the brief, and think of some solutions/workarounds). Nothing too complex, but make sure you keep an eye on the time.

My advice, unfortunately or otherwise, is pretty standard here:
  1. For the competency/motivational interview - know your answers inside out and make sure they incorporate specific detail. Bird & Bird is a smaller, more unique firm, and therefore will want to see strong motivation and a candidate who matches their ethos.

2. For the group exercise - use the following framework (I have written about this elsewhere on the forum): make three major contributions (in the first third (of your time), in the second third, and in the final third). Naturally, you can contribute outside of that time - but ensuring you make substantive contributions in those slots means that you establish your contribution to the group whilst guaranteeing you do not overpower the conversation. At the beginning of the exercise, offer to be the time-keeper and give your group regular time checks (don't miss them, otherwise this counts against you!). Finally, when you speak, make sure to thank the person who spoke before you (use their name) and then when you finish talking, rope another teammate in who the conversation is relevant to or someone who hasn't spoken in a while (again, do so using their name).

3. For the written exercise - a simple yet strong structure is essential to segment your points and to stay on track. Make sure you read the whole brief at an appropriate pace (yes, it is a lot, but it is doable), and answer any specific questions that are contained within. Always write clearly, rather than trying to be verbose to show off. Keep an eye on the time - it will run away from you if you do not set yourself mini-deadlines (e.g., finish section x by y). Employ your technical knowledge but not to the detriment of your common sense/critical thinking.
Do look through this thread/my posts on the forum as there is probably some information that might be relevant to your position - however, if you still have any follow-up questions, feel free to post them!
Wow Neville thank you so much! This is so useful and I will definitely take this on board.

Reactions: Anon08

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Training Contract Interview
As I might have mentioned in a previous answer - the TC interview is the easiest and most relaxed (for me) part of the whole process. Mine lasted approximately 10 minutes and was a casual chat about how I found the virtual scheme, why I was interested in international arbitration/advocacy/HSF, and how I found the work coming from a Philosophy degree. Don't worry about this part; it really only accounts (if you had to put a number on it) 10-20% of your assessment - by the time you've finished your weeks of work, everyone's minds are pretty much made up.

Hi Neville, sorry to piggyback off of this answer! I just wanted to ask in relation to the final interview, you said they asked why you're interested in international arbitration / advocacy, alongside of course HSF. Was this something you brought up yourself, or did they just randomly ask you? Did they question your choice of seats at all, e.g. why you did / didn't choose a specific seat, which seats you'd like to do on the TC, etc.?

I didn't pick disputes as one of my top choices as I'm honestly more interested in / leading towards transactional work at the moment, do you think they might ask me about this during the interview, or even throughout the VS itself?

A

Anon08

Hi Neville, sorry to piggyback off of this answer! I just wanted to ask in relation to the final interview, you said they asked why you're interested in international arbitration / advocacy, alongside of course HSF. Was this something you brought up yourself, or did they just randomly ask you? Did they question your choice of seats at all, e.g. why you did / didn't choose a specific seat, which seats you'd like to do on the TC, etc.?

I didn't pick disputes as one of my top choices as I'm honestly more interested in / leading towards transactional work at the moment, do you think they might ask me about this during the interview, or even throughout the VS itself?
No problem!

I was asked about my interest in international arbitration - in my answer, I chose to bring up the topics of advocacy and my motivations towards HSF. In my experience, I was never asked about my seat choices or what seats I may or may not choose during an HSF training contract. However, I remember speaking, unprompted, about my motivations regarding certain practice areas throughout my scheme.

I cannot comment on what they would/would not ask you; however, your practice area interests will inevitably be linked to the kinds of firms you are attracted to. Hence, consider how best to convey your motivations towards HSF in light of your interests. It is also worth bearing in mind that HSF is big in both transactional work and contentious work!

I hope that addresses some of the concerns you may have!

Reactions: Maculay

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
No problem!

I was asked about my interest in international arbitration - in my answer, I chose to bring up the topics of advocacy and my motivations towards HSF. In my experience, I was never asked about my seat choices or what seats I may or may not choose during an HSF training contract. However, I remember speaking, unprompted, about my motivations regarding certain practice areas throughout my scheme.

I cannot comment on what they would/would not ask you; however, your practice area interests will inevitably be linked to the kinds of firms you are attracted to. Hence, consider how best to convey your motivations towards HSF in light of your interests. It is also worth bearing in mind that HSF is big in both transactional work and contentious work!

I hope that addresses some of the concerns you may have!
Ah got it, thanks so much!

A

Anon08

Hi Neville, how're you maintaining your commercial awareness now that you've secured the TC? And what are your go to resources outside the FT and Bloomberg? I feel my approach is becoming a bit stale and would like to freshen it up.

By the way, congratulations on landing multiple vacation schemes and securing a TC with a terrific firm. I've really enjoyed reading your commercial awareness posts on the forum :)
Thank you very much - that's very kind!

In all honesty, I haven't given commercial awareness much thought since accepting the TC offer. I've been very preoccupied with my academic work, and am trying to do my best for my final year!

Having said that, as part of my degree, I need to be reading, writing, and constructing arguments in formal logic and standard/argument form. The only reason I bring this up is because it is keeping my critical reasoning and argumentation skills really sharp (and developing them further, I suppose). Hence, when it comes to commercial affairs, I can quickly digest the salient points from the medium and construct an opinion on it/evaluate the argument. In a way, it means I don't have to read too much 'commercial-stuff' to get a pretty good idea of what's going on, and whether such goings-on are positive, negative, or logically invalid. Personally, I believe that honing my skills at this stage will be more beneficial than scouring the headlines or attempting to memorise knowledge of financial concepts because I'll have that all ahead of me at law school and my TC itself.

I know that this isn't much help to you and doesn't really answer your question, but I guess although I now don't actively seek out commercial awareness resources (other than flicking through the FT each day), I still manage to keep sharp via other means.

If you're looking for some other commercial awareness resources, I can recommend these, which I used when I was in full-swing, application-wise:
  • The Trainee Test Podcast
  • Business Matters Podcast
  • FT Briefing Podcast
  • Bloomberg TV
I hope that helps!

Reactions: J32

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019
Thank you very much - that's very kind!

In all honesty, I haven't given commercial awareness much thought since accepting the TC offer. I've been very preoccupied with my academic work, and am trying to do my best for my final year!

Having said that, as part of my degree, I need to be reading, writing, and constructing arguments in formal logic and standard/argument form. The only reason I bring this up is because it is keeping my critical reasoning and argumentation skills really sharp (and developing them further, I suppose). Hence, when it comes to commercial affairs, I can quickly digest the salient points from the medium and construct an opinion on it/evaluate the argument. In a way, it means I don't have to read too much 'commercial-stuff' to get a pretty good idea of what's going on, and whether such goings-on are positive, negative, or logically invalid. Personally, I believe that honing my skills at this stage will be more beneficial than scouring the headlines or attempting to memorise knowledge of financial concepts because I'll have that all ahead of me at law school and my TC itself.

I know that this isn't much help to you and doesn't really answer your question, but I guess although I now don't actively seek out commercial awareness resources (other than flicking through the FT each day), I still manage to keep sharp via other means.

If you're looking for some other commercial awareness resources, I can recommend these, which I used when I was in full-swing, application-wise:
  • The Trainee Test Podcast
  • Business Matters Podcast
  • FT Briefing Podcast
  • Bloomberg TV
I hope that helps!

Really like the skills point. This is great, thank you!

axd

Dec 11, 2020
Hi Neville, I also have a vac scheme at HSF coming up and this has been really helpful to read. As someone also coming from a non-law background, what would your advice be regarding legal research? I am particularly uncertain of how to approach it (where it look/what it is important/how much of your initiative to use/when to stop researching etc.). I have an idea of format and structure (I think!) but am concerned that I could fail to approach the research side appropriately.

A

Anon08

Hi Neville, I also have a vac scheme at HSF coming up and this has been really helpful to read. As someone also coming from a non-law background, what would your advice be regarding legal research? I am particularly uncertain of how to approach it (where it look/what it is important/how much of your initiative to use/when to stop researching etc.). I have an idea of format and structure (I think!) but am concerned that I could fail to approach the research side appropriately.
Hey! No problem!

So, you will be given (if your scheme is like mine etc.) access to WestLaw, Practical Law, and some other sites. These are a godsend! Practical law is really useful for breaking down legal topics/cases and explaining, you guessed it, the practical ramifications.

Also, and I am sure some trainees/lawyers will agree...google. Literally, my first port of call was always just to google my query in plain English. For example, you might just search "GDPR DIFC DPL differences" and see what comes up. More often than not, if it is a fairly well-trodden area, law firms will have already put out free and accessible materials which give a really crisp overview of the content that you need to deploy in your legal note. Law firms might also put such content out on their blogs - so make sure to keep an eye out for that!

Honestly, don't sweat it - they're not going to give you any tasks that would be unreasonable for you to complete, and they'll know that you're a non-law student (though expect some amount of comfort zone-pushing).

Regarding how much to include/what is important - here, you need to exercise your judgement. Stick to the brief - if your supervisor has asked certain questions, try and answer them as succinctly as possible, whilst showing your 'working out' as it were. If you find some extra content that might be useful - you can always put it in a separate additional 'bonus' section which your supervisor can choose to look at or not, or create another document where you can put such content. Use your initiative - these aren't like school/university assignments where you have to stick within the confines of an A4 page!

Crucially, talk to your supervisor - find out what they want and how they want it before you start the assignment. If any questions come up that you need clarity on, ask them at the appropriate juncture - don't pester them, and don't ask for too much hand-holding!

Finally, you can always say to your supervisor (either on a call, or in the email where you attach your legal note) "by the way, I found [blah blah], which I thought might be relevant to [blah blah]. I have included it in an additional section[/document], [insert name here]" - not a perfect formulation, but you get my drift.

Last point - when to stop researching. When the question is answered to an extent that is decent given the time frame and the relevance to the matter. Example: I was asked to find out the key aspects of the DIFC DPL...that's like saying please summarise the entire thing! So, knowing that my team/supervisor were mostly GDPR lawyers, I researched the key differences between the GDPR and DIFC DPL and just focused on those. However, there are tens upon tens of differences. So, I found a resource that summarised 5-10 of the most key findings, and then researched them in depth. I highlighted to my supervisor that I picked out some of the most pertinent differences; however, there were, naturally, more. This was received well. I got the key points communicated, whilst doing enough given the time frame of approximately 12-24 hours.

I hope that helps!

axd

Dec 11, 2020

Hey! No problem!

So, you will be given (if your scheme is like mine etc.) access to WestLaw, Practical Law, and some other sites. These are a godsend! Practical law is really useful for breaking down legal topics/cases and explaining, you guessed it, the practical ramifications.

Also, and I am sure some trainees/lawyers will agree...google. Literally, my first port of call was always just to google my query in plain English. For example, you might just search "GDPR DIFC DPL differences" and see what comes up. More often than not, if it is a fairly well-trodden area, law firms will have already put out free and accessible materials which give a really crisp overview of the content that you need to deploy in your legal note. Law firms might also put such content out on their blogs - so make sure to keep an eye out for that!

Honestly, don't sweat it - they're not going to give you any tasks that would be unreasonable for you to complete, and they'll know that you're a non-law student (though expect some amount of comfort zone-pushing).

Regarding how much to include/what is important - here, you need to exercise your judgement. Stick to the brief - if your supervisor has asked certain questions, try and answer them as succinctly as possible, whilst showing your 'working out' as it were. If you find some extra content that might be useful - you can always put it in a separate additional 'bonus' section which your supervisor can choose to look at or not, or create another document where you can put such content. Use your initiative - these aren't like school/university assignments where you have to stick within the confines of an A4 page!

Crucially, talk to your supervisor - find out what they want and how they want it before you start the assignment. If any questions come up that you need clarity on, ask them at the appropriate juncture - don't pester them, and don't ask for too much hand-holding!

Finally, you can always say to your supervisor (either on a call, or in the email where you attach your legal note) "by the way, I found [blah blah], which I thought might be relevant to [blah blah]. I have included it in an additional section[/document], [insert name here]" - not a perfect formulation, but you get my drift.

Last point - when to stop researching. When the question is answered to an extent that is decent given the time frame and the relevance to the matter. Example: I was asked to find out the key aspects of the DIFC DPL...that's like saying please summarise the entire thing! So, knowing that my team/supervisor were mostly GDPR lawyers, I researched the key differences between the GDPR and DIFC DPL and just focused on those. However, there are tens upon tens of differences. So, I found a resource that summarised 5-10 of the most key findings, and then researched them in depth. I highlighted to my supervisor that I picked out some of the most pertinent differences; however, there were, naturally, more. This was received well. I got the key points communicated, whilst doing enough given the time frame of approximately 12-24 hours.

I hope that helps!
Thank you so much! That's really helpful and has definitely put my mind at ease. I think it is easy to feel like the tasks are going to be unmanageable when approaching a vac scheme with v little legal experience and a non-law degree but I feel happier now.

salvia

• Jan 7, 2022
    Hi, I'm applying for the A&O first year scheme and wanted to know how can I show my interest in the firm [ any research tips]
    and
    how to stand out during the application,
    since I've just finished my first semester I mainly have virtual experience and events to put down and not a lot of uni involvement apart from the union newspaper and volunteering.

aspiring_solicitor

Star Member
    Aug 16, 2021
    Hi, I'm applying for the A&O first year scheme and wanted to know how can I show my interest in the firm [ any research tips]
    and
    how to stand out during the application,
    since I've just finished my first semester I mainly have virtual experience and events to put down and not a lot of uni involvement apart from the union newspaper and volunteering.
    Hi just wanted to confirm that there are just two questions right that is first is regrading position of responsibility, pass time and all
    And second is about recent news right ?

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    Hi! I applied to A&O First and completed my SJT yesterday. I wanted to know how much time they take to let us know if we have passed the sjt or not? Because I did the SJT for HSF yesterday too (after A&O's actually) and have already heard back from them.

Edit: nevermind I just got rejected 🤣

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.