Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
I hope you are well! I have two work experience - one is my full-time role as a paralegal that started in February 2020, and the other one is a part-time role as a legal content writer that started in June 2020. Both experiences are ongoing. I am now a bit confused which experience must be inserted first in the 'work experience section' of the application form. I have, in the past, kept my full-time position as my first position in the work experience section due to its full-time nature. However, strictly speaking, should I insert my legal content writer role at the top given that I started it after my full-time role? Thank you :)

You'd generally go with the longer one first if they are both on-going - but it really doesn't matter which order they are in really where they are on-going.

Reactions: castrooo

PP27

Distinguished Member
Oct 11, 2019
Hello I have a question about capitalising certain words. If I am addressing a cover letter to the GR team, do I write it as Dear Graduate Recruitment Team, all capitalised? Also in the same letter, I refer to the graduate recruitment partners. Does this need to be capitalised also?

Finally, if I am addressing to the grad team, do I sign off with Yours sincerely?

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello I have a question about capitalising certain words. If I am addressing a cover letter to the GR team, do I write it as Dear Graduate Recruitment Team, all capitalised? Also in the same letter, I refer to the graduate recruitment partners. Does this need to be capitalised also?

Finally, if I am addressing to the grad team, do I sign off with Yours sincerely?

Thank you

Yes - it’s technically a name so should be capitalised, but it’s one of those things that wouldn’t really be picked up if you did it any other way.

Dear Graduate Recruitment,

would be sufficient though - team isn’t really needed on the end

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
There is a sample question for A&O here:

Maybe Skadden have decided to change their approach this year? It may also be the case that they have a "hold" pile meaning they review your app on a rolling basis but that if you are in the hold pile you may not be contacted until all applications have been reviewed.

No, Skadden are definitely recruiting on a rolling basis this year - it is mentioned explicitly in their 2020-2021 recruitment brochure. Perhaps they have a "hold" pile as you mentioned.

c0808

Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
Hello! I was wondering whether it's still worth it to finish off and send an application to Baker McKenzie given that they recruit on a rolling basis and their deadline is December 1st?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I attended a Skadden webinar and the head of Grad Rec said that whilst they are reviewing applications on a rolling basis they are not making any decisions about who progresses until after the deadline.

That would make sense! Thanks for the info

• 🤝
Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

James5612

Junior Lawyer
Jul 2, 2020
Hi there, do you think that it would be overkill to talk about my interest in three different practice areas in a cover letter (even if they are all of genuine interest with evidence why)? Or should I talk about at least one thing that isn't related to practice strengths?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there, do you think that it would be overkill to talk about my interest in three different practice areas in a cover letter (even if they are all of genuine interest with evidence why)? Or should I talk about at least one thing that isn't related to practice strengths?

If you have a genuine interest in all three and can evidence that clearly, it’s fine to do all three. I don’t think you have to have “other” things if your rationale for practice area is your key reasons for applying

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, on the LPC section of the form on apply4law.com, if we haven't decided on when/where to take our LPC can we leave it blank? Thanks!

you might have to select something (the form might not let you leave it blank) but you could always clear this up in a free text box or extra information section.

Reactions: Larry HC

xEmily1998

Oct 5, 2020
Hi Jess,

Do grad rec always review every application? I sent off an application for a winter VS 6 weeks ago now, and haven't heard anything back. Other people have received rejections and AC invites. The firm have been holding ACs for the past few weeks and someone on the forums have said that those who have attended ACs will hear back today "to be fair to later candidates". This sounds like they have perhaps concluded their ACs. I spent a long time writing my application which included a 1000 word cover letter, and am thinking that since I have heard nothing, not even a rejection, they may have not even read my application at all :oops:

So my question is- do Grad Rec always read all the applications? Should I hold out hope even for a rejection email, purely so I know my application has been read? Or do Grad Rec teams get to a certain number of AC invites and not read the rest of the applications. Note: I applied in the last week before the deadline which may be the issue, but the firm has said they are non-rolling.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess,

Do grad rec always review every application? I sent off an application for a winter VS 6 weeks ago now, and haven't heard anything back. Other people have received rejections and AC invites. The firm have been holding ACs for the past few weeks and someone on the forums have said that those who have attended ACs will hear back today "to be fair to later candidates". This sounds like they have perhaps concluded their ACs. I spent a long time writing my application which included a 1000 word cover letter, and am thinking that since I have heard nothing, not even a rejection, they may have not even read my application at all :oops:

So my question is- do Grad Rec always read all the applications? Should I hold out hope even for a rejection email, purely so I know my application has been read? Or do Grad Rec teams get to a certain number of AC invites and not read the rest of the applications. Note: I applied in the last week before the deadline which may be the issue, but the firm has said they are non-rolling.

In the vast majority of cases, yes applications are reviewed. I can’t say that it is always the case that applications are reviewed - there are quite. A few reasons why that might not be the case.

Reactions: xEmily1998

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Hi Jess,

Maybe send a polite email asking for an update?

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I know you’re not meant to over analyse but i has an interview 2 days ago and at the end the interviewer said that they need to ‘reflect’ on the interview and give me an outcome
Is this a normal thing people say, because I feel if she thought my interview was strong she would progress me :/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know you’re not meant to over analyse but i has an interview 2 days ago and at the end the interviewer said that they need to ‘reflect’ on the interview and give me an outcome
Is this a normal thing people say, because I feel if she thought my interview was strong she would progress me :/

Standard end of interview wrap up phrase.

They aren’t going to tell you are progressing at the end of an interview.

Reactions: M1999

RB

Star Member
Jun 7, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker,

When coming up with examples for competency questions or for questions on why I make a good commercial lawyer, how recent do my examples have to be? As a career changer, I haven't had much 'interesting' experiences in the last two years and I know that firms usually want a range of experiences so I don't really want to use my current career in financial services for all my examples. Would it be reasonable for me to use examples from university that were about 4 years ago? Alternatively, would it be suitable to talk about my hobbies and what skills I've gained from those even though I haven't won awards or competitions for them?

Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

When coming up with examples for competency questions or for questions on why I make a good commercial lawyer, how recent do my examples have to be? As a career changer, I haven't had much 'interesting' experiences in the last two years and I know that firms usually want a range of experiences so I don't really want to use my current career in financial services for all my examples. Would it be reasonable for me to use examples from university that were about 4 years ago? Alternatively, would it be suitable to talk about my hobbies and what skills I've gained from those even though I haven't won awards or competitions for them?

Thanks in advance!

They just need to be your best examples. If they are all from your current work experience, that is fine. It is slightly different committing to something full time for two years and having lots of potential evidence from it compared to someone who has being doing a society role for a couple of hours a week for a few months and them providing all their competency examples from that one experience.

Just choose your best examples - don't get too focused on where they come from or how old they are.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.