Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

A.C

Nov 15, 2020
Hi Jessica, thank you so much for all the help you've offered! This is such a great community.

What's your advice on including InsideSherpa Virtual Internships on applications? InsideSherpa specify that their internships can't be listed as work experience, so unless a firm has an extracurricular section, should I leave them out? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, thank you so much for all the help you've offered! This is such a great community.

What's your advice on including InsideSherpa Virtual Internships on applications? InsideSherpa specify that their internships can't be listed as work experience, so unless a firm has an extracurricular section, should I leave them out? Thanks

You can reference them in a range of areas - extra curriculars, extra information sections or even a brief reference in a motivational answer or cover letter.

I wouldn't leave them out unless there was no clear opportunity to include them.

nicole88

Jun 25, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I am doing the HSF app and there is this question "Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills", do you think I should only talk about why HSF or should I also include a part about "why law?" - Mainly because I have not studied law and there is nowhere else I can talk about my motivation to pursue a career in law.
And just in general, I have seen a couple of applications for different firms where there is not question asking "why law", should I try to include it somewhere even if it is not asked, or should I just stick to answering the question I am actually asked?

Thanks

Last edited:

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I am doing the HSF app and there is this question "Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills", do you think I should only talk about why HSF or should I also include a part about "why law?" - Mainly because I have not studied law and there is nowhere else I can talk about my motivation to pursue a career in law.
    And just in general, I have seen a couple of applications for different firms where there is not question asking "why law", should I try to include it somewhere even if it is not asked, or should I just stick to answering the question I am actually asked?

Thanks

I would stick to the questions being asked - I didn't use my 'Why Law' answer.
    When talking to Grad Rec of a different Firm, they said they mark down applicants who don't answer the question set - so would be careful in this regard

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and nicole88

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello,

What needs to be included in the covering letter for Travers Smith? Is it the usual why (commercial) law, why travers smith, why me?

Thanks

I would assume so. Unfortunately I don’t know specifics of each firm’s application form in terms of instructions/questions asked as a whole.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are well. Could you please answer a question that I have? I wanted to ask you, ideally, how long should an answer be in an interview to key questions like " Why commercial law" or "why this firm" etc. Even after making the answer super concise I still feel like it can come across as a bit too long for the interviewer. For example, I have a lot of pointers for the question "why x firm" and I feel that all of those are important but if I try to frame an answer around these points, it ends up becoming really long. Should I be worried about the interviewer stopping me in between?

Thank You.

mm26

Standard Member
    Jun 21, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I hope you're well! I wanted to ask whether it is worth applying to a firm's vac scheme if I've been rejected for their open day? Will my chances be diminished because of the open day?

j2134

Star Member
    May 6, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

If a firm makes candidates re-take the WG test during an AC, is it likely that the benchmark or the way they use the result will be different in any way? What is the logic behind making people re-do the test?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are well. Could you please answer a question that I have? I wanted to ask you, ideally, how long should an answer be in an interview to key questions like " Why commercial law" or "why this firm" etc. Even after making the answer super concise I still feel like it can come across as a bit too long for the interviewer. For example, I have a lot of pointers for the question "why x firm" and I feel that all of those are important but if I try to frame an answer around these points, it ends up becoming really long. Should I be worried about the interviewer stopping me in between?

Thank You.

probably no more than 90-120 seconds. Usually 8-10 questions will be asked in an interview and so talking for much longer than this means you won’t get through the whole interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

In one of my applications, I am being asked "Please provide details of your positions of responsibility"
    is it asking for positions in jobs or when I did sports at uni or society positions?

It generally means extra curriculars, but it can include positions of responsibility outside of your job but still within your workplace (for instance if you are on an employee committee/network group, or have raised money for your employer’s charity initiatives)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I hope you're well! I wanted to ask whether it is worth applying to a firm's vac scheme if I've been rejected for their open day? Will my chances be diminished because of the open day?

application processes for both opportunities will be different. I would personally reapply and not worry about it. I don’t think your chances are diminished by an earlier application to an open day.

QXW

Feb 29, 2020
    Hello Jessica!

From a law firm's perspective, how does a student applicant compare to an applicant who already has a few years of work experience?

I am currently an international student studying in the UK, and am considering taking on a role in the legal department of a company in my home country (my role should focus on international transactions so hopefully that helps link my experience to UK firms). I was wondering if it would be more difficult for me to be accepted if I am working in a foreign country, versus if I apply now as a student who is physically in the UK?

Would visa sponsorship factor into the firm's consideration?

Thank you so much for your help!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.