Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

What are your views on people referencing money as one of their reasons for choosing a career in commercial law at interview? Do people ever do this?

Its exceptionally rare for someone to mention it, it's even rarer for it to come across well.

Doing it for the money really isn't thinking about it enough. No one wants to work with someone who hates their job but is only doing it so they can buy fancy things or retire early. People who do it for the money also have a tendency of not sticking it out.

To be frank, there are better paid jobs out there, so saying you are doing it for the money is probably not very well thought out.

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Its exceptionally rare for someone to mention it, it's even rarer for it to come across well.

Doing it for the money really isn't thinking about it enough. No one wants to work with someone who hates their job but is only doing it so they can buy fancy things or retire early. People who do it for the money also have a tendency of not sticking it out.

To be frank, there are better paid jobs out there, so saying you are doing it for the money is probably not very well thought out.
Thought as much!

RB

Star Member
Jun 7, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker!

I have a query about how I should answer one of Stephenson Harwood's application questions:

"Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study. (250 words)
  • Outline your personal achievements
  • What motivated you to achieve this?
  • How have you worked effectively with others?"
I am a career changer and currently work full-time in financial services. As a result I haven't had much time to take on much responsibility outside of work, even join societies within my firm because of how busy I usually am! I do have hobbies outside of work but I haven't joined any teams or have taken up responsibilities for them. Would it be acceptable to talk about responsibilities I had during university or during school? This dates back to 2015 - 2018 so I'm not sure if they would still be relevant!

Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker!

I have a query about how I should answer one of Stephenson Harwood's application questions:

"Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study. (250 words)
  • Outline your personal achievements
  • What motivated you to achieve this?
  • How have you worked effectively with others?"
I am a career changer and currently work full-time in financial services. As a result I haven't had much time to take on much responsibility outside of work, even join societies within my firm because of how busy I usually am! I do have hobbies outside of work but I haven't joined any teams or have taken up responsibilities for them. Would it be acceptable to talk about responsibilities I had during university or during school? This dates back to 2015 - 2018 so I'm not sure if they would still be relevant!

Thank you in advance!

Yes - you can still talk about what you did at uni. I would also include what hobbies you do now too. Although they may not be responsibilities I think it maybe important to try and show the things you do outside of work (albeit briefly)

• ℹ️
Reactions: RB

Ellisha

Standard Member
Nov 21, 2020
Hi! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have had a look and couldn't find any thread/question about this. For Clifford Chance, it there any point in submitting your CV and cover letter for the training contract, seeing as they quite explicitly say they don't look it for any grad applications?
and secondly, is there any way to weave 'why Clifford Chance' into any part of the application? the only q is the 600word one on extra curricular activities, unless I'm missing something!

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hi! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have had a look and couldn't find any thread/question about this. For Clifford Chance, it there any point in submitting your CV and cover letter for the training contract, seeing as they quite explicitly say they don't look it for any grad applications?
    and secondly, is there any way to weave 'why Clifford Chance' into any part of the application? the only q is the 600word one on extra curricular activities, unless I'm missing something!

Nope they won't look at it so no point doing it.
    All they look at is your WE, grades, and the 600 word question - and yes it is solely about extra-curricular and other achievements.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

the firm might not care about “why us” and so there is little point trying to weave it in to a question if they aren’t asking for it.

Ellisha

Standard Member
    Nov 21, 2020
    Nope they won't look at it so no point doing it.
    All they look at is your WE, grades, and the 600 word question - and yes it is solely about extra-curricular and other achievements.
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. Just one more question - how do they draw the line between work experience and extra curricular activities? for instance, would being an editor for my university's law review be listed as a work experience or should i talk about that in the 600 word answer?

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. Just one more question - how do they draw the line between work experience and extra curricular activities? for instance, would being an editor for my university's law review be listed as a work experience or should i talk about that in the 600 word answer?

Jessica will know better than I do, but I would probably say that's extra-curricular rather than formal/informal work experience

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

That would be an extra curricular - there are some grey areas such as volunteering/law clinic work etc, but to me a law review role would definitely be extra curricular

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I am unsure whether the STAR structure is meant to be used for the following application question: "Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in. (300 words max)*" ?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I am unsure whether the STAR structure is meant to be used for the following application question: "Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in. (300 words max)*" ?

Thank you!

No STAR wouldn’t really be appropriate in this instance

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.