Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Laura Keane

Standard Member
Oct 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Apologies if this question has already been asked.

I am currently applying for the Reed Smith Vacation Scheme and their work experience section asks for 'details and explanation of how you feel you have benefited from this experience' in 250 words max.

Should I try and link my experiences to Reed Smith/how my skills would benefit me as a trainee or should I stick to just detailing what I did and what I learnt from the experience?

For every piece of 'work experience' should I try and maximise the 250 word count/will it negatively impact me if I have said everything but only reach 200ish words?

Thanks, Laura

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Apologies if this question has already been asked.

I am currently applying for the Reed Smith Vacation Scheme and their work experience section asks for 'details and explanation of how you feel you have benefited from this experience' in 250 words max.

Should I try and link my experiences to Reed Smith/how my skills would benefit me as a trainee or should I stick to just detailing what I did and what I learnt from the experience?

For every piece of 'work experience' should I try and maximise the 250 word count/will it negatively impact me if I have said everything but only reach 200ish words?

Thanks, Laura

You don’t have to link your experiences to Reed Smith specifically. Linking it to commercial law/life as a trainee more generally is more appropriate though. Don’t detail the self explanatory or repeat information provided elsewhere. Focus on the interesting information only and make sure you answer how you have benefitted - that doesn’t always have to link back to being a trainee/commercial law though. Benefits could be a much wider spectrum than that.

Don’t go up to 250 words if you are just trying to pad it out. You’ll just come across as waffling .

Reactions: Laura Keane

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

To add on from the above CV discussion, would it be better for us to use our experiences (factual) to demonstrate those skills, rather than explicitly stating that "I utilised team working skills in job X"?

Presently, I write facts about what I have done in my extra-curricular activities and work experiences in my CV. I do not expressly spell out the skills I used (eg: team work, Organisational skills ...). Is that okay?

Thank you so much!:)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

To add on from the above CV discussion, would it be better for us to use our experiences (factual) to demonstrate those skills, rather than explicitly stating that "I utilised team working skills in job X"?

Presently, I write facts about what I have done in my extra-curricular activities and work experiences in my CV. I do not expressly spell out the skills I used (eg: team work, Organisational skills ...). Is that okay?

Thank you so much!:)

If the skill is pretty obvious, then don’t explain it. For instance, it’s really annoying when people talk about being a Team Leader developing their leadership or team working skills :rolleyes:

Remember the person reading your application has some intelligence so will be able to read into the skills you have developed.

However sometimes there are situations you need to explain as maybe the skill set isn’t obvious. The example I always use was I was a driver for my university RAG which doesn’t suggest a lot of skills on the face of it. But that developed my communication and resilience skills more than anything else I had done. However, I’d make sure that I was clear by saying what responsibilities I had to developed those skills rather than just claiming I had them.

eg: Responsibility for looking after up to fourteen 8-12 year olds, often dealing with disruptive and abusive behaviour

Reads a lot better than

Developed resilience and communication skills by having the responsibility of looking after fourteen 8-12 year olds.

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: wwood, R203 and Jaysen

xelania

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 29, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

On Simmons & Simmons' online application form for its winter vac scheme, it asks to provide an 'Overall university average score'. Does this include first year (which would bring my score down a lot), or is it my second and third year combined result (i.e. my final official grade). The former score for me is a low 2:1, whereas the latter is a 1st. However, no where else on the application does it ask what my overall result is, so I'm afraid that if I include my first year in the average it will look like I got a low 2:1 although that isn't actually the case. At the same time, I don't want to miss out my first year results in the calculation and potentially look as though I'm unable to work out averages correctly...

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

On Simmons & Simmons' online application form for its winter vac scheme, it asks to provide an 'Overall university average score'. Does this include first year (which would bring my score down a lot), or is it my second and third year combined result (i.e. my final official grade). The former score for me is a low 2:1, whereas the latter is a 1st. However, no where else on the application does it ask what my overall result is, so I'm afraid that if I include my first year in the average it will look like I got a low 2:1 although that isn't actually the case. At the same time, I don't want to miss out my first year results in the calculation and potentially look as though I'm unable to work out averages correctly...

Thanks.

I have never heard of someone asking for an average score across years. I think this just means your latest average result, so if your case your final official grade. It is just there are sometimes weird exceptions where people get moved up a classification. There are also differences in weighting per year across courses and universities.

For instance, I achieved something like 69% overall but because I got a certain number of 1st degree modules my final degree classification is actually a first. For me I would need to say I achieved a First but that my overall university average score was 69%

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sometimes, luck just plays into your hands. Someone mistakenly sent the following to me today which might be of interest to people

Attachments

• Rare data.png
      Rare data.png
      119.7 KB · Views: 154
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Abstruser

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    If the skill is pretty obvious, then don’t explain it. For instance, it’s really annoying when people talk about being a Team Leader developing their leadership or team working skills :rolleyes:

Remember the person reading your application has some intelligence so will be able to read into the skills you have developed.

However sometimes there are situations you need to explain as maybe the skill set isn’t obvious. The example I always use was I was a driver for my university RAG which doesn’t suggest a lot of skills on the face of it. But that developed my communication and resilience skills more than anything else I had done. However, I’d make sure that I was clear by saying what responsibilities I had to developed those skills rather than just claiming I had them.

eg: Responsibility for looking after up to fourteen 8-12 year olds, often dealing with disruptive and abusive behaviour

Reads a lot better than

Developed resilience and communication skills by having the responsibility of looking after fourteen 8-12 year olds.

Thank you so much Jessica!! :)

Giovanni Figa

Oct 1, 2019
    Hey Jessica

I'm looking at a career change having worked in Finance for the last 15 years. I was wondering if there was anything specific I should address when explaining why I am looking to change career? I'm planning to use the below - any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

"My career in Finance has increasingly incorporated regulatory and legal dimensions, a synthesis I have really enjoyed. I believe the perfect role for me would incorporate a greater legal dimension so a move into law is a natural progression at this stage.

My interest in Law stretches back to my A-Levels where I studied the subject. After graduating I opted to take the Graduate Diploma in Law as this could lead to a legal career or give me invaluable transferable skills for a career elsewhere. After completing this course and having studied for the last 4 years I opted to take some time out to travel. On my return I was given an opportunity that was too big to turn down at HSBC. My career in Finance began here, first in a number of roles that combined banking with applying and advising on rules and procedures within Human Resources and then in a more Finance orientated role in Middle Office commencing in 2010. Over the last ten years I have really enjoyed supporting the trading and sales desks as well as dealing with financial products. However I have enjoyed this most when it has been mixed with the application of regulations or laws."

Giovanni

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey Jessica

I'm looking at a career change having worked in Finance for the last 15 years. I was wondering if there was anything specific I should address when explaining why I am looking to change career? I'm planning to use the below - any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

"My career in Finance has increasingly incorporated regulatory and legal dimensions, a synthesis I have really enjoyed. I believe the perfect role for me would incorporate a greater legal dimension so a move into law is a natural progression at this stage.

My interest in Law stretches back to my A-Levels where I studied the subject. After graduating I opted to take the Graduate Diploma in Law as this could lead to a legal career or give me invaluable transferable skills for a career elsewhere. After completing this course and having studied for the last 4 years I opted to take some time out to travel. On my return I was given an opportunity that was too big to turn down at HSBC. My career in Finance began here, first in a number of roles that combined banking with applying and advising on rules and procedures within Human Resources and then in a more Finance orientated role in Middle Office commencing in 2010. Over the last ten years I have really enjoyed supporting the trading and sales desks as well as dealing with financial products. However I have enjoyed this most when it has been mixed with the application of regulations or laws."

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni - I am not able to comment on specific answers to application questions unfortunately.

I think the key thing you need to explain is why you are looking to start a career from scratch, especially if you have acquired 15 years worth of experience. You will need to recognise that as a trainee you will be doing pretty basic tasks - there will be a major concern that you will be taking a massive backwards step and whether your motivations can really negate that.

Rather than looking back at what you have done, I'd look forward though. I suspect a lot of the above would be evident from other information you have in your application.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I am looking at the Macfarlanes application at the minute. I have looked through other posts about it so I have a pretty solid idea of how to answer it, but I have two specific questions about the form I'm a little unclear on.

In one of their sections, the form asks us to talk about non-academic interests, and it was recommended that we talk about them in the STAR structure. There is nothing in that question that suggests we should be specifically mentioning transferable skills and how these activities demonstrate them, as there is another question further down that deals with that.

How do you go about structuring interests in the STAR method? For instance, I really like a particular sport which is quite unique, and I like talking about it in applications because it's not very common. So far, I've been thinking that I could STAR it by talking about 1) the position I took (S) 2) what that role is responsible for (T), 3) what normally happens in practice in that role (A), and 4) how it contributes to the team and why it interests me (R). I think it's really the action and the result parts that confuse me when it comes to this. If I knew that the question was asking me to demonstrate a skill, it would be a lot easier to deal with. Because that is not the objective, I am struggling to think of what to say.

The other question I have is about overlap. Another question on the form talks about achievements (positions of responsibility, prizes, awards, etc.). While academic stuff is fairly straight forward, my positions of responsibility are very very closely connected to my interests, although they can be separated a little bit from the main bulk of my hobbies. Should I talk about them in the interests section or the achievements section?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, as always!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I am looking at the Macfarlanes application at the minute. I have looked through other posts about it so I have a pretty solid idea of how to answer it, but I have two specific questions about the form I'm a little unclear on.

In one of their sections, the form asks us to talk about non-academic interests, and it was recommended that we talk about them in the STAR structure. There is nothing in that question that suggests we should be specifically mentioning transferable skills and how these activities demonstrate them, as there is another question further down that deals with that.

How do you go about structuring interests in the STAR method? For instance, I really like a particular sport which is quite unique, and I like talking about it in applications because it's not very common. So far, I've been thinking that I could STAR it by talking about 1) the position I took (S) 2) what that role is responsible for (T), 3) what normally happens in practice in that role (A), and 4) how it contributes to the team and why it interests me (R). I think it's really the action and the result parts that confuse me when it comes to this. If I knew that the question was asking me to demonstrate a skill, it would be a lot easier to deal with. Because that is not the objective, I am struggling to think of what to say.

The other question I have is about overlap. Another question on the form talks about achievements (positions of responsibility, prizes, awards, etc.). While academic stuff is fairly straight forward, my positions of responsibility are very very closely connected to my interests, although they can be separated a little bit from the main bulk of my hobbies. Should I talk about them in the interests section or the achievements section?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, as always!

STAR is a really weird way of asking candidates to complete this section - honestly don’t understand the rationale. I think your approach is pretty much right though - I just don’t think you need to explain things like what happens in practice. For me the action would be things like how many hours you dedicate to training, what additional responsibilities you have (eg cleaning equipment, booking venues to play). The result should be what wouldn’t happen if you weren’t there (eg your personal impact to the team) and what you have learnt/taken from it (your personal development “result”).

There is cross over, but I’d try to avoid there being any. I don’t think it matters which question you choose to use this section in, but make sure there is little to no repetition

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

When an application states:
    "Maximum 1500 characters/ approximately 250 words"

I am confused as to whether the character count should include spaces or not include spaces.

Would love to hear your input.

Thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

When an application states:
    "Maximum 1500 characters/ approximately 250 words"

I am confused as to whether the character count should include spaces or not include spaces.

Would love to hear your input.

Thank you so much! :)

Will typically include spaces and paragraph spacing.

Reactions: R203

Giovanni Figa

Oct 1, 2019
    Hi Giovanni - I am not able to comment on specific answers to application questions unfortunately.

I think the key thing you need to explain is why you are looking to start a career from scratch, especially if you have acquired 15 years worth of experience. You will need to recognise that as a trainee you will be doing pretty basic tasks - there will be a major concern that you will be taking a massive backwards step and whether your motivations can really negate that.

Rather than looking back at what you have done, I'd look forward though. I suspect a lot of the above would be evident from other information you have in your application.

Thanks Jessica!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Great to have you here, I've just read the previous answers and they were really helpful. :)

I also have a couple questions, would appreciate if you could help.

1. How do I demonstrate my interest in becoming a corporate lawyer when I don't have any legal experience and have been struggling to get any? I've got other experiences: armed forces, retail, some volunteering but none of them demonstrate any interest in law. I only had the chance to attend some events/law fairs at university.

2. Although I graduated with 1st from a RG university, my first year grades were pretty bad (2:2, low 2:1), would this generally be looked down on at the application process? And do we actually need to add these grades on our application if they didn't count towards our degree?

1) you demonstrate it through knowledge and research. That you can say confidently that you understand what you are letting yourself in for and that matches your skill set and interests. Any transferable skills or knowledge from other experiences should be referenced.

2) for some firms possible, for others not at all. Depends on the relative strength of your other academics though, and also the strength of the rest of your application. As you cams out with a first, that will be a major plus though. Plenty of people with your academic profile manage it though.

Most firms will ask for every module result, so if asked you will have to provide them. It’s pretty obvious when people don’t and I’ve also retracted offers where people missed modules off of their application form to make it look better. It doesn’t matter whether it counts to your degree or not, you still has to complete the module to actually get your degree and without the modules you wouldn’t have a degree at all.

SarahB3

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 28, 2019
    Hi Jess,

I wanted to ask whether you think it’s a good idea to pick up an additional A level to get my grades to meet the requirements. I got ABD in my a-levels. The reason for the D grade was because I was placed at a college which my sixth form partnered with to undertake the course. My teacher were constantly being swapped and the last one taught the wrong syllabus which resulted in everyone securing a D grade or below. I was thinking to undertake AS/A2 religious studies as a distant learner and sit the exams next year in May 2020.
    Please kindly confirm whether this is a good idea and whether you recommend it ?

Thank you

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.