Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! I was wondering how telephone interviews are usually scored or how the GR decides who to take through to the interview, especially when they stipulate they are waiting to interview everyone. Is it like a numerical score and there is a ‘pass mark’ or is it more general, like they look at the notes and say ‘yes’ ‘no’ or ‘maybe’.

There is no usual unfortunately. There are many ways in which they could do this (first come-first served, based on earlier assessments are other common ways)

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    You’ll need to explain what you would do in that situation rather than just teasing out competencies. It needs to show practical insight into the processes and approaches you would take to ensure things went well. In that, you may well talk about your strengths/qualities that would help you get through that scenario or those processes though.
    Thank you!!

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hey @Jessica Booker,

Please could you help me with this Osborne Clarke question?

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

The questions seems to be asking two things- i)Why OC? and ii)What skills have you developed from your hobbies/interests?
    But does my answer to each of these need to be linked- I'm confused that these two have been combined. 'Within your answer' would suggest that your answers needs to be linked (i.e. the skill you have developed from 'x interest/hobby' has led to or has followed from your interest in 'y' which is a reason for why you want to apply to OC)?

If they are linked, then talking about hobbies would be difficult- e.g. one of my hobbies is playing football and the skills I have developed from this are teamwork etc, but can't really link this to 'Why OC'.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey @Jessica Booker,

Please could you help me with this Osborne Clarke question?

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

The questions seems to be asking two things- i)Why OC? and ii)What skills have you developed from your hobbies/interests?
    But does my answer to each of these need to be linked- I'm confused that these two have been combined. 'Within your answer' would suggest that your answers needs to be linked (i.e. the skill you have developed from 'x interest/hobby' has led to or has followed from your interest in 'y' which is a reason for why you want to apply to OC)?

If they are linked, then talking about hobbies would be difficult- e.g. one of my hobbies is playing football and the skills I have developed from this are teamwork etc, but can't really link this to 'Why OC'.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

I think it’s just a badly worded question. I think it’s just two questions - why OC, how have you developed the skills relevant to OC

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    You’ll need to explain what you would do in that situation rather than just teasing out competencies. It needs to show practical insight into the processes and approaches you would take to ensure things went well. In that, you may well talk about your strengths/qualities that would help you get through that scenario or those processes though.
    also wondering... in a situational interview, can I ask the interviewer more questions about the scenario before providing an answer?

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times before, but how much weighting do firms tend to place on individual module choices? I'm considering taking a module next semester that is not relevant to commercial law whatsoever, simply because it looks interesting and is exceptionally well-taught. I have studied a balance of commercial and non-commercial modules up to this point. I haven't had issues convincing firms of my motivations in the past, but how likely are my individual module choices to call my interest in commercial law into question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times before, but how much weighting do firms tend to place on individual module choices? I'm considering taking a module next semester that is not relevant to commercial law whatsoever, simply because it looks interesting and is exceptionally well-taught. I have studied a balance of commercial and non-commercial modules up to this point. I haven't had issues convincing firms of my motivations in the past, but how likely are my individual module choices to call my interest in commercial law into question?

It really depends on the firm. There will be some firms who care about it more than others. A lot of firms take the view that if they recruit non law grads, it seems a bit odd to put a weighting on commercial modules.

I’d be very surprised if one module swayed a firm’s view on how commercial you are though even if they did care.

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    It really depends on the firm. There will be some firms who care about it more than others. A lot of firms take the view that if they recruit non law grads, it seems a bit odd to put a weighting on commercial modules.

I’d be very surprised if one module swayed a firm’s view on how commercial you are though even if they did care.
    Thank you!

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Just a quick question. I have my vacation scheme application finished for Mayer Brown and ready to submit today or at the very latest tomorrow. The deadline is the 31/01/2021 and this is also the deadline for their training contract applications.

I read an old thread on here about their vac scheme last year and most people were saying that by this time last year their vacation scheme Acs and places were filled out. Some even said there is no point applying for a vac scheme with them in mid to late January.

Would you think that since I am seemingly running late with submitting my vacation scheme application I should just apply for a TC instead? Do you think this would be a better move considering that they might have filled up most of their summer vac scheme? I would love to know your thoughts on this.

And another quick question, do you know how Mayer Brown views mental health problems?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Just a quick question. I have my vacation scheme application finished for Mayer Brown and ready to submit today or at the very latest tomorrow. The deadline is the 31/01/2021 and this is also the deadline for their training contract applications.

I read an old thread on here about their vac scheme last year and most people were saying that by this time last year their vacation scheme Acs and places were filled out. Some even said there is no point applying for a vac scheme with them in mid to late January.

Would you think that since I am seemingly running late with submitting my vacation scheme application I should just apply for a TC instead? Do you think this would be a better move considering that they might have filled up most of their summer vac scheme? I would love to know your thoughts on this.

And another quick question, do you know how Mayer Brown views mental health problems?

Apply for the vacancy you want to apply to most. Try to get rid of any view of whether it’s too late or not - you can still apply. The only time I say it’s too late is if you are making these decisions hours before a deadline.

i don’t know the specifics of Mayer Brown, but you can’t really have a view on mental health (would be potentially discriminatory to be so).

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Apply for the vacancy you want to apply to most. Try to get rid of any view of whether it’s too late or not - you can still apply. The only time I say it’s too late is if you are making these decisions hours before a deadline.

i don’t know the specifics of Mayer Brown, but you can’t really have a view on mental health (would be potentially discriminatory to be so).

Thank you!

For the last part, I only asked because some insight I got some time ago from people at the firm is that such things are not viewed too well, so I was thinking of not mentioning anything like this in my extenuating circumstances so as to not put myself at a disadvantage.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you!

For the last part, I only asked because some insight I got some time ago from people at the firm is that such things are not viewed too well, so I was thinking of not mentioning anything like this in my extenuating circumstances so as to not put myself at a disadvantage.

If you have mitigating circumstances, the "opinion" of you could be much worse - they could think you just didn't apply yourself if your academics/lack of other evidence isn't backed up with mitigating circumstnaces. Firms will think the worst and the worst is you didn't try, not that something held you back.

The only concern with mental health is whether you are going to be able to deal with the pressure of the working environment (purely because the firm has a duty of care) but people can show that through performing at a high level which tends to demostrate they can cope or have found ways to manage their condition (like how many people manage a physical condition).

A very high proportion of lawyers have some form of mental health problems (whether past or current) and firms know that. It doesn't necessarily make them a bad lawyer - in fact there are some exceptional high performning lawyers who are dealing with/dealt with very challenging mental health matters.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

When writing a cover letter for an insight day, does it have to be in the same format as a cover letter for a vacation scheme or training contract?

Generally, yes I would recommend the same format. Your motivations will be slightly different because it will need to be more about what you hope to gain from the insight day rather than something much more longer term like a TC.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    If you have mitigating circumstances, the "opinion" of you could be much worse - they could think you just didn't apply yourself if your academics/lack of other evidence isn't backed up with mitigating circumstnaces. Firms will think the worst and the worst is you didn't try, not that something held you back.

The only concern with mental health is whether you are going to be able to deal with the pressure of the working environment (purely because the firm has a duty of care) but people can show that through performing at a high level which tends to demostrate they can cope or have found ways to manage their condition (like how many people manage a physical condition).

A very high proportion of lawyers have some form of mental health problems (whether past or current) and firms know that. It doesn't necessarily make them a bad lawyer - in fact there are some exceptional high performning lawyers who are dealing with/dealt with very challenging mental health matters.

I understand, thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jess, I hope you are well.

I applied to a firm using a new email address this year but the firm sent a confirmation of receipt to my old email address (I applied to the same firm with my old email address in the last recruitment cycle. However, I did not provide my old email address, but only my new email address, in this year's application). May I ask if this should be an issue of concern? I obviously do not want my old application to be considered:confused:

P.S. There is no application portal and I applied by directly emailing my application form to the firm's email address

Thank you in advance :)!

No concern as such, you just have been flagged as a duplicate applicant. It’s probably just a mistake that they emailed you on your old account. I would email back and ask for your new email address to be used.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: EZ_D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.