Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Hi Jess, on the Osborne Clarke app theres is this question: 'What are the most important aspects of a career for you? What makes you feel motivated and fulfilled?' (250 words)
I was wondering if I'd need to link the things I find motivating/important in a career to past work experience, or link it to the firm in some way? or simply answer the questions as it is?
thank you for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, on the Osborne Clarke app theres is this question: 'What are the most important aspects of a career for you? What makes you feel motivated and fulfilled?' (250 words)
I was wondering if I'd need to link the things I find motivating/important in a career to past work experience, or link it to the firm in some way? or simply answer the questions as it is?
thank you for your help!

Either (or both) can work - although it doesn't have to be work experience, it can be any experience. It is just about evidencing your analysis and that will be different for each candidate, so what might work for one person, might not work for the next.

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

Just wondering whether firms view positively on candidates who have completed the LPC on their own? Could that potentially put an applicant at a disadvantage given that some firms want their trainees to do specific LPC modules?

And also, what are your thoughts on completing the LPC now before the SQE comes into force? Personally, I am not too keen on the SQE so don't know if I should go for the LPC before it is too late.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Just wondering whether firms view positively on candidates who have completed the LPC on their own? Could that potentially put an applicant at a disadvantage given that some firms want their trainees to do specific LPC modules?

And also, what are your thoughts on completing the LPC now before the SQE comes into force? Personally, I am not too keen on the SQE so don't know if I should go for the LPC before it is too late.

Its not really a positive unless the firm doesn't sponsor the LPC or if they need someone to start in the next six months. It isn't an issue if you do the LPC with another provider though.

I think there are risks for both routes at the moment and unfortunately I am not really best placed to advise on which is the right route to take for someone. You'll be able to do the LPC for at least two more years though (and potentially much longer) as a law graduate could still take the LPC route currently up to 2030. It is just whether firms will still be willing to take on LPC training contracts rather than SQE training contracts by that point.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: collie_121

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Its not really a positive unless the firm doesn't sponsor the LPC or if they need someone to start in the next six months. It isn't an issue if you do the LPC with another provider though.

I think there are risks for both routes at the moment and unfortunately I am not really best placed to advise on which is the right route to take for someone. You'll be able to do the LPC for at least two more years though (and potentially much longer) as a law graduate could still take the LPC route currently up to 2030. It is just whether firms will still be willing to take on LPC training contracts rather than SQE training contracts by that point.

I understand, thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, does anyone if the deadline for Osborne Clarke's online test is the same as their application deadline? I can't seem to find anything on their website.

Thanks,

Unlikely to be the same deadline as how would someone who applies on the deadline complete the test?

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Unlikely to be the same deadline as how would someone who applies on the deadline complete the test?
    @Jessica Booker Thanks. But they don't mention a deadline for the online test on the website. Also I think you get the email for the online test straight after submitting your application, which would give you time to take the test before the deadline, so still not sure?

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    Hi,

I was wondering how to tackle more personal strengths questions such as 'how would your friends describe you'. On reflection, I think they would describe me as loyal, supportive and trustworthy.

However can I use personal examples to evidence these?

For example, I was the first person to visit my best friend after her breakup with her long term boyfriend.

Anna W

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 20, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I recently submitted a vacation scheme application and I realised today that I made a mistake regarding the format of the cover letter. I went on to the application portal to check my cover letter and accidentally started a new application. I thought that maybe the firm allows applicants to make edits to their submission before the deadline and made the corrections to my cover letter before resubmitting. I just received a second confirmation email about my application and now I think I might have submitted two applications. I will be sending the Graduate Recruitment Team an email about this but I was just wondering if this is as big of a mistake as I think it is.

Thanks!

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    Morning Jessica!

Ho long should you wait after an interview to ask for an update? Had an interview about a week ago and I’ve heard nothing back. Was thinking of contacting grad rec.

thanks.

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Morning Jessica!

Ho long should you wait after an interview to ask for an update? Had an interview about a week ago and I’ve heard nothing back. Was thinking of contacting grad rec.

thanks.
    Once I waited 10 weeks to hear back post-interview! :D I say give it another couple of weeks before emailing, especially as this time of year is really busy for grad rec teams :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Thanks. But they don't mention a deadline for the online test on the website. Also I think you get the email for the online test straight after submitting your application, which would give you time to take the test before the deadline, so still not sure?

Think this has been clarified in other posts by other members. It wouldn’t be on their website, it would be on any subsequent email correspondence from the firm after you submitted your application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

I was wondering how to tackle more personal strengths questions such as 'how would your friends describe you'. On reflection, I think they would describe me as loyal, supportive and trustworthy.

However can I use personal examples to evidence these?

For example, I was the first person to visit my best friend after her breakup with her long term boyfriend.

of course - would make sense to use personal examples.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I recently submitted a vacation scheme application and I realised today that I made a mistake regarding the format of the cover letter. I went on to the application portal to check my cover letter and accidentally started a new application. I thought that maybe the firm allows applicants to make edits to their submission before the deadline and made the corrections to my cover letter before resubmitting. I just received a second confirmation email about my application and now I think I might have submitted two applications. I will be sending the Graduate Recruitment Team an email about this but I was just wondering if this is as big of a mistake as I think it is.

Thanks!

unlikely to be considered a big mistake.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Morning Jessica!

thanks.

I’d always ask this at the end of an interview. Whatever deadlines they then give you, I would add at least a week on and then contact them after that.

For those who didn’t ask in the interview, I’d wait 12-13 working days and then ask if they can provide an update (two and a half weeks from your interview)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: sabma

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker If I shorten a firms name in the first question of an application e.g. I write Shearman & Sterling (S&S), can I refer to the firm as S&S in subsequent questions?

Yes - that makes sense. Just make sure you use it consistently.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Paul - Shearman & Sterling and 33c

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.