Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

When answering a question about what I enjoy from paralegal work, does it make sense to mention the collaborative approach, the variety of work and the opportunity to produce a tangible output to be used by an associate/client?

If that's what you enjoy, then yes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I know that some firms will ask at AC which other firms have you applied to; I've applied to 6 firms but I'm worried that it doesn't immediately appear that they're that similar since I selected them all for quite specific reasons - they're Gibson Dunn, Bakers, HSF, BCLP, Reed Smith and Allen & Overy. Do you think it's an answer I should be prepared to explain and justify? My ACs are for HSF and Bakers.

Thank you!

You explain your rationale for choosing very different firms, that is all.

doublesalchow

Junior Lawyer
Mar 13, 2019
perfectly fine to ask - not all firms will tell you though.

I wouldn’t ask until a few days before your assessment day though.

my advice is that generally it is not important to do this as the interview is not about your assessors, it is about you. Spending time researching individual assessors is a waste of time in my opinion.

Thank you Jessica!

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hello @Jessica Booker,

I have been invited to my first VI for a Vac scheme. it is a pre recorded VI. The firm is BLM law, they stated that “The questions you are about to answer are based on your knowledge of us, the role you have applied for and your commercial awareness”

do you know what questions are more likely than others to come up as I thought this was very broad. :)

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker

Akin Gump has asked me to complete the WG "before Monday 18th January". Does you know if that means I have to complete it today? The portal on applyforlaw says the deadline is 18/1/2021 rather than today.

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am working on the Akin Gump application. These are the questions:
  1. What motivates you to pursue a career as a commercial Solicitor? Explain how you would add value as a Trainee in the London office of Akin Gump.
  2. Describe a particularly challenging experience you have faced and the way you dealt with it.
  3. What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?
  4. Identify a current commercial issue which has recently attracted your attention. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders in this situation and what are the implications for those concerned?
  5. Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.
Should I be explaining "why AG" in any of these questions, esp. 1/3/4? My interpretation is that #3 is the best place to mention my motivations for AG specifically (for example, "I hope to work in XYZ and Akin Gump has expertise in XYZ")?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Akin Gump has asked me to complete the WG "before Monday 18th January". Does you know if that means I have to complete it today? The portal on applyforlaw says the deadline is 18/1/2021 rather than today.

before Monday 18th suggests it needs to be done by 23.59 today. They may have sent you a separate email about it to clarify you need to do it before Monday as maybe they are hoping to make decisions from tomorrow morning

• ℹ️
Reactions: 33c

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Does anybody know if the WG invite for Akin Gump is automatic, or screened/sent during working hours? I sent off an Akin Gump application in the last few hours and have not received anything, concerned if this does need to be done before Monday that I will already be too late... no tests visible in my portal.

(Possibly a good lesson in why I should send them off a few days before the deadline!!!)

Lauren2001

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020
Does anybody know if the WG invite for Akin Gump is automatic, or screened/sent during working hours? I sent off an Akin Gump application in the last few hours and have not received anything, concerned if this does need to be done before Monday that I will already be too late... no tests visible in my portal.

(Possibly a good lesson in why I should send them off a few days before the deadline!!!)
I don't think it is automatic, I have seen a few people on here be invited a few days after submission. However I am not 100%. I also just submitted today so we are in the same boat.

Anna W

Star Member
Premium Member
Jul 20, 2020

I'm pretty sure it's not automatic because I didn't receive an invite until over a week after I sent my application.

aspiringsolicitor000

M&A Bootcamp
Oct 22, 2020
How would you structure this question, 'Please explain why you are interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer working in an international law firm? Why specifically are you interested in the firm?' (250 words)

Would you start off with why law and then relate that to wanting to work at an international law firm and then in a separate paragraph talk about why you're interested in the firm?

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Bit of a random question but as I’m looking for paralegal roles I see too many jobs requiring that people already have a TC lined up.

To me this just looks like an unnecessary (and unfair) requirement. Am I missing something? What would be the reason for this?

JoeF

Star Member
Dec 23, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I realise this isn't the smartest question but I was just wondering how disadvantaged I will be when I have only submitted most of my apps this month? I have got to applying pretty late and submitted most of my apps to law firms which close their applications on 31st January. Most of them have been open since October and almost all (except one) have been reviewing on rolling basis.

paan

Feb 26, 2020
Hi,

Is the additional information bit (I've seen it on some application forms including Mayer Brown's which states 'Please use this section to tell us about any academic or non academic achievements and interests not covered elsewhere in this application' max 300 words) necessary? More specifically, would a candidate be in a disadvantaged position if they don't answer to this question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How would you structure this question, 'Please explain why you are interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer working in an international law firm? Why specifically are you interested in the firm?' (250 words)

Would you start off with why law and then relate that to wanting to work at an international law firm and then in a separate paragraph talk about why you're interested in the firm?

There isn’t one set approach to this - you could tackle it in any order really. Just make sure you cover all aspects of the question.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Bit of a random question but as I’m looking for paralegal roles I see too many jobs requiring that people already have a TC lined up.

To me this just looks like an unnecessary (and unfair) requirement. Am I missing something? What would be the reason for this?

They aren’t looking for someone permanent, and they feel that by having secured a TC there is almost a guarantee of quality to the candidate. Its not the best way of recruiting, but it can ensure it’s an efficient way of recruiting because you are getting 20-30 high quality applicants rather than having to sift through 500-600 applicants of varying quality.

• ℹ️
Reactions: gg332dd

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I realise this isn't the smartest question but I was just wondering how disadvantaged I will be when I have only submitted most of my apps this month? I have got to applying pretty late and submitted most of my apps to law firms which close their applications on 31st January. Most of them have been open since October and almost all (except one) have been reviewing on rolling basis.

Difficult to say. If you have got your applications in the first half of this month, you’ll still be ahead of the majority of applicants though, so I don’t think you’ll be at a massive disadvantage.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

Is the additional information bit (I've seen it on some application forms including Mayer Brown's which states 'Please use this section to tell us about any academic or non academic achievements and interests not covered elsewhere in this application' max 300 words) necessary? More specifically, would a candidate be in a disadvantaged position if they don't answer to this question?

I definitely would answer it. You’d be at a disadvantage if you didn’t as a lot of transferable skills can be picked up from these sections.

AspiringLawyer112

Esteemed Member
Jan 3, 2021
Hi Jessica,

I've applied to the Summer vacation scheme at Reed Smith and have passed the initial SST. However, looking at their website I realised that their summer vac scheme is for penultimate year and final year law students/final year non law and that their spring scheme is for 'graduates, career changers and graduates who have completed the lpc'. As I am currently doing the GDL, do I fall into the eligible group for the summer scheme? If not, do you think it is worth sending an email explaining that I have exams during the spring scheme dates so that is why I have applied to the summer scheme? Thanks!
Hey. I am in a similar situation as you. I emailed Reed Smith to ask if I can still be considered and below is the reply i received today:

Hi Athia,

Not to worry, although the Summer Vac Scheme is mostly for final year non-law students and penultimate year law students, this is not imperative. As such, you are still welcome to apply for the Summer Vacation Scheme.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jessica Booker and Sam55

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.