Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hey. I am in a similar situation as you. I emailed Reed Smith to ask if I can still be considered and below is the reply i received today:

Hi Athia,

Not to worry, although the Summer Vac Scheme is mostly for final year non-law students and penultimate year law students, this is not imperative. As such, you are still welcome to apply for the Summer Vacation Scheme.
Amazing! Thank you for letting me know :)

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Im not sure if this is right thread for this tbh but hoping I might still get some insight!
I was wondering how easy/whether its possible to move into large global commercial law firms if you've started off training in a boutique firm. I'm currently in the midst off apps like everyone else and I'm mainly interested in commercial law but was wondering whether it would be worth increasing my chances of getting a TC by applying to more niche boutique firms that still are commercial but not international and a much smaller office etc, would it then be possible in the future to transfer to a larger firm (e.g. MC/US or silver circle) or would the training contract at a boutique firm limit my options in the future as it might seem like I don't have well-rounded training?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I received an invite to an interview this Friday but I already have an AC in the afternoon. Is it okay to ask them if they have availability next week instead? And should I say I already have an AC or should I say it’s because I have work? I’m unable to do the morning as I have a project due at work.

Of course it is ok to ask for their availability next week. At worst they may say that is all they can offer, but this is unlikely unless they are at the very end of their recruitment process or are only running a very limited number of assessment days.

I would call them first thing to discuss - don't rely on email as it can be the equivalent of snail mail.

It is fine to say you are already committed to a interview too, although its up to you if you want to say it is another commitment, like an exam or something else too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Im not sure if this is right thread for this tbh but hoping I might still get some insight!
I was wondering how easy/whether its possible to move into large global commercial law firms if you've started off training in a boutique firm. I'm currently in the midst off apps like everyone else and I'm mainly interested in commercial law but was wondering whether it would be worth increasing my chances of getting a TC by applying to more niche boutique firms that still are commercial but not international and a much smaller office etc, would it then be possible in the future to transfer to a larger firm (e.g. MC/US or silver circle) or would the training contract at a boutique firm limit my options in the future as it might seem like I don't have well-rounded training?

Niche firms can be far more competitive than other large commercial firms. I don't think you would be "increasing your chances" in that respect apart from making multiple applications.

It won't be easy to transfer from a niche firm to a MC/US firm unless that firm was looking to expand in the niche you have the expertise in and if there were a lack of other large commercial firm lawyers who don't have that experience.

Kopperskjold

Star Member
Jan 14, 2021
Hello @Jessica Booker,

I hope you're well!

I have a very specific question but I was wondering if you know what may have happened before writing to them. I received this email today:

"Dear X,
Thank you for your recent application.

Unfortunately, you are not eligible to apply for this scheme.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in Simmons & Simmons and we look forward to receiving another application from you in the near future.

If you believe you have received this email in error, please contact a member of the Graduate Recruitment Team at [email protected].

Yours sincerely,

The Graduate Recruitment Team".

However, I checked their website again and it says that the London summer vacation scheme is "Open to penultimate-year and final-year students and graduates of all degree disciplines.".

The only thing I can think of is that by graduates they have a more narrow concept meaning people who just finished their undergraduate studies but have never worked as associates (I'm a foreign lawyer doing an LLM)? Do you know if that may be the case?

I'm also curious about whether they tell everyone that they look forward to receiving another application from them? Or do you think this is a "personal" message?

Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker,

I hope you're well!

I have a very specific question but I was wondering if you know what may have happened before writing to them. I received this email today:

"Dear X,
Thank you for your recent application.

Unfortunately, you are not eligible to apply for this scheme.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in Simmons & Simmons and we look forward to receiving another application from you in the near future.

If you believe you have received this email in error, please contact a member of the Graduate Recruitment Team at [email protected].

Yours sincerely,

The Graduate Recruitment Team".

However, I checked their website again and it says that the London summer vacation scheme is "Open to penultimate-year and final-year students and graduates of all degree disciplines.".

The only thing I can think of is that by graduates they have a more narrow concept meaning people who just finished their undergraduate studies but have never worked as associates (I'm a foreign lawyer doing an LLM)? Do you know if that may be the case?

I'm also curious about whether they tell everyone that they look forward to receiving another application from them? Or do you think this is a "personal" message?

Thank you so much!

If you are a foreign qualified lawyer, some firms will choose to not take you on a training contract and therefore that could be the reason they have made that decision.

It could be that they know they can’t employ you on a vacation scheme as your student visa wouldn’t allow you to work more than 20 hours a week.

Paaris

• Dec 18, 2020
    Hi Jessica
    Just wondered if firms look at things like sick leave in considering an applicant? Does that ever count as a factor?
    I think most firms just look for referees to confirm employment history, but I now wonder what else is reviewed.
    Thanks

LJ96

Premium Member
    Feb 29, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker ,

I have an app questions that asks: "Why do you want to pursue a career as a solicitor and what qualities do you think you possess to be a successful lawyer at [Firm name]?"

Do you think I need to be specific to the firm in answering the second part?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica
    Just wondered if firms look at things like sick leave in considering an applicant? Does that ever count as a factor?
    I think most firms just look for referees to confirm employment history, but I now wonder what else is reviewed.
    Thanks

sick leave doesn’t tend to be included in a reference these days.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Paaris

Lauren2

Valued Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    Does anybody know if the WG invite for Akin Gump is automatic, or screened/sent during working hours? I sent off an Akin Gump application in the last few hours and have not received anything, concerned if this does need to be done before Monday that I will already be too late... no tests visible in my portal.

(Possibly a good lesson in why I should send them off a few days before the deadline!!!)
    I don't think its automatic? I also applied frighteningly close to the deadline and I haven't received anything.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi Jess,

I was wondering what kind of things would you expect to read in applicants' answers to the following question:
    Please list anything else you believe strengthens your application. 300

There was already a question on positions of responsibilities, activities and interests + a cover letter, so I wonder what I could write for that question.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess,

I was wondering what kind of things would you expect to read in applicants' answers to the following question:
    Please list anything else you believe strengthens your application. 300

There was already a question on positions of responsibilities, activities and interests + a cover letter, so I wonder what I could write for that question.

This is a really annoying answer but you wouldn’t expect anything in particular. It is really up for the individual applicant to identify things that they haven’t been able to naturally include in other sections that you think are stand out as being something that will improve your application

Kopperskjold

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    If you are a foreign qualified lawyer, some firms will choose to not take you on a training contract and therefore that could be the reason they have made that decision.

It could be that they know they can’t employ you on a vacation scheme as your student visa wouldn’t allow you to work more than 20 hours a week.
    Umm yes but wouldn't choosing not to take me be different from "not being eligible"?

Because also their vacation scheme takes place during during official vacation periods, in which we're allowed to work full-time. It's only during term-time that we cannot work more than 20 hours a week.

Should I maybe send them an email tomorrow?

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker - when answering why x firm in an interview do you think it would be okay for my points to be based on (1) firms innovative approach to client service, (2) sector focus approach, and (3) culture - or do you think I should switch one of these for a specific practice area of interest? Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Umm yes but wouldn't choosing not to take me be different from "not being eligible"?

Because also their vacation scheme takes place during during official vacation periods, in which we're allowed to work full-time. It's only during term-time that we cannot work more than 20 hours a week.

Should I maybe send them an email tomorrow?

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

If they can't employ you, you wouldn't be eligible.

I would email them and ask them to clarify why you are not eligible. Many LLMs run throughout the summer and the restrictions on student work permits means firms cannot take them on over the summer. If this is different for you, then I would see if that changes their mind (or if they have made their mind up on another basis)

Reactions: Kopperskjold

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker - when answering why x firm in an interview do you think it would be okay for my points to be based on (1) firms innovative approach to client service, (2) sector focus approach, and (3) culture - or do you think I should switch one of these for a specific practice area of interest? Thanks :)

Sounds fine to me. I'd just make sure that I demonstrated my interest in certain practice areas in other questions if I could.

Kopperskjold

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    If they can't employ you, you wouldn't be eligible.

I would email them and ask them to clarify why you are not eligible. Many LLMs run throughout the summer and the restrictions on student work permits means firms cannot take them on over the summer. If this is different for you, then I would see if that changes their mind (or if they have made their mind up on another basis)
    Many thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.