Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I'm quite confused about "Why law" even after having read so much on how to answer it. Is the question asking what bits of commercial law did I like and why was I interested in them, or is it about telling the interviewer a story right from what sparked my interest followed by all the steps that I took to deepen my understanding of what the role entailed?

Thank you.
Context really matters with a question like this. If it’s for an application form, you have to think about what other answers you are providing and also what from your profile speaks for itself.

In an interview, is it the first question you are asked? Or have you already spoken about your academic route with previous questions that may cover some of the “why law” general aspects.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Context really matters with a question like this. If it’s for an application form, you have to think about what other answers you are providing and also what from your profile speaks for itself.

In an interview, is it the first question you are asked? Or have you already spoken about your academic route with previous questions that may cover some of the “why law” general aspects.
If it's the first question asked in an interview then as @Holly suggested, we should clarify, right? I'm sorry I just want to be sure about this and not worry about it again.

Bee6

Star Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you are doing well! Please would you advise me to email the grad rec and ask for feedback on my application performance two weeks before I start my Spring vac scheme? Also, I have not heard back from Vero yet (although my VS is in 2 weeks)- should I be worried about this? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you are doing well! Please would you advise me to email the grad rec and ask for feedback on my application performance two weeks before I start my Spring vac scheme? Also, I have not heard back from Vero yet - should I be worried about this? Thank you!
I wouldn't ask for feedback on an application form if you have been successful - the firm won't have anything ready to give you and it will require them to read it again.

No - I wouldn't be worried if you haven't heard from Vero yet.

Reactions: Bee6

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I know that you've stated earlier that firms don't care too much if you've done a masters degree, but I'm looking to do an interdisciplinary masters degree (for e.g.: an MSc in Law and Finance), instead of a straight up LLM.

Will firms look down on a degree like this or is it advisable to do a straight up LLM?

To what extent does university reputation matter for the LLM if I have done my LLB from a NON-RG university? (This is because the MSc Law and Finance program is offered at a lower ranked uni (QMUL) compared to LLMs which I've applied to at the big 3 London unis - LSE, UCL, KCL).

As a heads up, I am pursuing this masters degree primarily out of intellectual interest, but it would be nice to know what value it might add from an employability perspective. Thank you!
Really won't matter what the subject is in if it is a LLM.

Some of the firms who are known to be more snobby about university may look more favourably if your LLM is in a reputable university. However, it often does not out balance low A-level grades, and so if you still don't meet the firm's A-level criteria, a LLM isn't going to solve that. Same goes for your undergraduate degree. If this doesn't meet the firm's requirement for "excellent academics" or a "strong/high 2.1", an LLM isn't going to resolve that.

Reactions: djqb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker, I sent an email with a few questions regarding the application process to the graduate recruitment of a high street law firm. It is now over a week and they have not yet replied to my email. When would it be appropriate to chase them?
A week is no time at all really. The person could easily be on annual leave for two weeks and unable to respond. I wouldn’t chase up for a couple of more weeks unless there is an application deadline that is coming up before then.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hi Jessica! I know this might be firm specific but I was wondering about your opinion on this:

I'll be receiving my offer letter for my TC soon, which is due to start in 2023. I'm a final year so I'll be graduating this year. I do have a postgrad offer so something to do during the next year, but it's contingent on a 1st which I'm not 100% sure I'll get (love uni law marking) and also really expensive. Do you think it's worth asking GR if they could possibly move my TC forward to 2022? I know they actually didn't recruit anyone for the 2022 start cycle last year because of the pandemic so there wouldn't be any problems re the cohort being full. Thought I might get a second opinion, since I know my offer is already unusual (got it from the VS interview and firm HR has told me it's not something they ordinarily do) so I wouldn't want to push my luck any more.
    If you think it's appropriate for me to ask, do you know how you might recommend I do it? This is my first job so I'm v much unaware of etiquette! Thanks so much for any advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica! I know this might be firm specific but I was wondering about your opinion on this:

I'll be receiving my offer letter for my TC soon, which is due to start in 2023. I'm a final year so I'll be graduating this year. I do have a postgrad offer so something to do during the next year, but it's contingent on a 1st which I'm not 100% sure I'll get (love uni law marking) and also really expensive. Do you think it's worth asking GR if they could possibly move my TC forward to 2022? I know they actually didn't recruit anyone for the 2022 start cycle last year because of the pandemic so there wouldn't be any problems re the cohort being full. Thought I might get a second opinion, since I know my offer is already unusual (got it from the VS interview and firm HR has told me it's not something they ordinarily do) so I wouldn't want to push my luck any more.
    If you think it's appropriate for me to ask, do you know how you might recommend I do it? This is my first job so I'm v much unaware of etiquette! Thanks so much for any advice!
    There is absolutely no harm in asking. But I wouldn't do so until you are 100% sure you will be taking up your post graduate studies or not. I think it would be worse to ask and then say you wanted to stay in 2023 after all.

So at the point you are 100% sure you do want to move forward, then call them and ask them whether they is any possibility of moving forward. The worst that can happen is they say no, and you are in exactly the same position you are in now anyway.

ChuPnl

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Feb 9, 2021
    Hi Jessica!

This might sound like a silly question but it's something I have been thinking about a lot recently.

I have been in touch with a firm's Grad recruitment coordinator quite a lot recently and I have noticed that they always sign off their emails with their first name.
    I always address people by 'Dear Ms/M *insert last name*' as in my country it comes off as quite rude to address someone who is in a senior position by their first name.
    Are they inviting me to start my email by 'Hello *first name*' in the same way they are addressing me, or is it something only a recruiter can do whilst we need to keep using 'Dear ...'?

I don't want to come off either too formal or too informal so I thought you would be the best person to ask.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

This might sound like a silly question but it's something I have been thinking about a lot recently.

I have been in touch with a firm's Grad recruitment coordinator quite a lot recently and I have noticed that they always sign off their emails with their first name.
    I always address people by 'Dear Ms/M *insert last name*' as in my country it comes off as quite rude to address someone who is in a senior position by their first name.
    Are they inviting me to start my email by 'Hello *first name*' in the same way they are addressing me, or is it something only a recruiter can do whilst we need to keep using 'Dear ...'?

I don't want to come off either too formal or too informal so I thought you would be the best person to ask.
    “Dear First Name” is most appropriate for your first bit of correspondence with an individual.

In the UK, sending an email to Dear Madam, or Dear Mrs Booker is very formal for UK standards. You also risk getting the Prefix wrong - I could be Miss/Ms/Dr etc.

So first name is sufficient and the safest bet. Always go for the full first name though. Just to play safe, I wouldn't assume someone was a Jo/Joe if there name was Joanne or Joseph.

Once the person has replied to you, you can just respond with their same approach they have taken in their correspondence back to you (eg mirror their Dear/Hi and first name/full name/Prefix Surname format and I just the first name, you can use the format they use in their signature/sign off).

• 🤝
    Reactions: ChuPnl

ChuPnl

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Feb 9, 2021
    “Dear First Name” is most appropriate for your first bit of correspondence with an individual.

In the UK, sending an email to Dear Madam, or Dear Mrs Booker is very formal for UK standards. You also risk getting the Prefix wrong - I could be Miss/Ms/Dr etc.

So first name is sufficient and the safest bet. Always go for the full first name though. Just to play safe, I wouldn't assume someone was a Jo/Joe if there name was Joanne or Joseph.

Once the person has replied to you, you can just respond with their same approach they have taken in their correspondence back to you (eg mirror their Dear/Hi and first name/full name/Prefix Surname format and I just the first name, you can use the format they use in their signature/sign off).
    Thank you for making it clearer!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

tla99

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 18, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope all is well. I have a question regarding the LPC: do firms prefer you take the fast-track version (6 months) or are they fine with the 'normal' (9 month) version? Just because I have worked lined up this summer until the end of August and am trying to figure out when to do the LPC. Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope all is well. I have a question regarding the LPC: do firms prefer you take the fast-track version (6 months) or are they fine with the 'normal' (9 month) version? Just because I have worked lined up this summer until the end of August and am trying to figure out when to do the LPC. Thank you in advance!
    Responded in the other thread about this!

• Love
    Reactions: tla99

AspiringSolicitor99

Standard Member
  • Jan 3, 2020
    Hi Jessica!

I am currently applying for first-year schemes and wanted to ask whether I should mention the offers I have received from other firms so far? I've been successful on some very competitive applications and wonder if it might be helpful to mention them.

If so, where would be the most appropriate place to include such information on an application form?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I am currently applying for first-year schemes and wanted to ask whether I should mention the offers I have received from other firms so far? I've been successful on some very competitive applications and wonder if it might be helpful to mention them.

If so, where would be the most appropriate place to include such information on an application form?

Thank you!
    You could do - although I'd be mindful that if you have lots of them, the firm could question why you are now applying to others that might clash.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.