Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    It is ultimately a question with no limitations - you have to put in what you think is relevant. Yes, that could be mitigating circumstances, but it could be any information you haven’t had the opportunity to present. If that includes something like “why commercial law” then if you think that is relevant to your application (it might be more relevant to someone with limited commercial legal work experience) then you should include it.
    Appreciate that, thank you!

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

When, if ever, is it appropriate to send a second chase email to a law firm? I applied for a vacation scheme at a firm in November and completed a telephone interview in late December (so I've been waiting for an outcome for 3 months). I have heard nothing since. Meanwhile, other candidates completed TIs before me and have been rejected- and others completed TIs after me and have progressed to AC. They were still sending out TI invites as of a couple of weeks ago. I have also seen someone who just got a VS offer at this firm.

I emailed this firm in late February for an update (just over a month ago!). I was simply told that they were swamped and that they would get back to me with "an outcome" ASAP. Someone else in a similar position to me emailed them a week before I did and received a generic rejection email 5 minutes later. I'm not really sure why I didn't get the same thing. I can't help but assume my application has just been lost in the pile- I'm thinking of those examples on here where people sent applications in 2019 and for the last cycle, and just never heard back.

Cut to today, late March, and I've still heard nothing. I think it is very likely that I will be rejected at this point, but I've been waiting a very long time and I just want to close the book with that firm. Although I'm fully appreciative that recruiters are beyond swamped at the moment- I don't envy them at all and I don't want to make that worse. Is it appropriate to contact the firm again? Or should I just leave it and assume I've been rejected?

Massive thanks for your advice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

When, if ever, is it appropriate to send a second chase email to a law firm? I applied for a vacation scheme at a firm in November and completed a telephone interview in late December (so I've been waiting for an outcome for 3 months). I have heard nothing since. Meanwhile, other candidates completed TIs before me and have been rejected- and others completed TIs after me and have progressed to AC. They were still sending out TI invites as of a couple of weeks ago. I have also seen someone who just got a VS offer at this firm.

I emailed this firm in late February for an update (just over a month ago!). I was simply told that they were swamped and that they would get back to me with "an outcome" ASAP. Someone else in a similar position to me emailed them a week before I did and received a generic rejection email 5 minutes later. I'm not really sure why I didn't get the same thing. I can't help but assume my application has just been lost in the pile- I'm thinking of those examples on here where people sent applications in 2019 and for the last cycle, and just never heard back.

Cut to today, late March, and I've still heard nothing. I think it is very likely that I will be rejected at this point, but I've been waiting a very long time and I just want to close the book with that firm. Although I'm fully appreciative that recruiters are beyond swamped at the moment- I don't envy them at all and I don't want to make that worse. Is it appropriate to contact the firm again? Or should I just leave it and assume I've been rejected?

Massive thanks for your advice.
    Perfectly acceptable to chase them up considering the timescales in this situation.

Reactions: M777

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Potentially, yes, even if it is abroad.

Even old emails that confirm your volunteering placement might be sufficient though.
    I see. Would that still be the case if I have not put my volunteering in the work experience section, but rather just mentioned it in one of the questions?

The trouble is that the volunteering was informal. I literally went to my old school in my home country where I offered to help out and they agreed. There was no emails or anything, the school doesn’t even have an IT or email system.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I see. Would that still be the case if I have not put my volunteering in the work experience section, but rather just mentioned it in one of the questions?

The trouble is that the volunteering was informal. I literally went to my old school in my home country where I offered to help out and they agreed. There was no emails or anything, the school doesn’t even have an IT or email system.
    Less likely if it isn’t in a work experience section. Not impossible though.

If you have no evidence, you’d just have to explain that to the vetting team. They do take things like this into consideration.

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker, for direct TC applications, how do firms look at work experience that has been gained (via unsolicited applications) with international law firms in jurisdictions outside the UK (e.g.: the Middle East & South East Asia)?

I know that firms prefer that you have legal work experience for a direct TC application, and although I study at a UK university, I've only been able to collect legal work experiences outside the UK.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, for direct TC applications, how do firms look at work experience that has been gained (via unsolicited applications) with international law firms in jurisdictions outside the UK (e.g.: the Middle East & South East Asia)?

I know that firms prefer that you have legal work experience for a direct TC application, and although I study at a UK university, I've only been able to collect legal work experiences outside the UK.
    No differently really than if it was in the UK. The content of what you did is far more important than where you did it.

The only thing that could come up is a question around your motivations to work in the UK if most of your experience is in another jurisdiction (eg why don’t they just qualify there?). That’s why I encourage those with applications that are more internationally focused, especially in one region/country to ensure the rest of their application has balance for why London/why the UK.

Reactions: djqb

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    No differently really than if it was in the UK. The content of what you did is far more important than where you did it.

The only thing that could come up is a question around your motivations to work in the UK if most of your experience is in another jurisdiction (eg why don’t they just qualify there?). That’s why I encourage those with applications that are more internationally focused, especially in one region/country to ensure the rest of their application has balance for why London/why the UK.
    Thank you Jessica

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Silly question .. currently on a vac scheme and we have like 9 different modes of assessment (inc of interview) .. one assessment I think I performed poorly .. one there was a small formatting error and the rest were perfect. Do you think the poor one which is a written task could derail my chances of getting the TC ultimately ?
    Nothing will be perfect in all honesty. It just isn’t realistic to think like that.

But if it is just a small formatting error you are concerned about, I don’t think a decision would be based on that alone.

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    Nothing will be perfect in all honesty. It just isn’t realistic to think like that.

But if it is just a small formatting error you are concerned about, I don’t think a decision would be based on that alone.
    That’s very true tbh.. the process is killing me. Thanks for illuminating. I think I’m more worried about not finishing the written assessment plus the small formatting error. Nevertheless, I suppose it’s a holistic thing and maybe two smaller parts shouldn’t impact your entire performance unless they really decide to be nitpicky.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That’s very true tbh.. the process is killing me. Thanks for illuminating. I think I’m more worried about not finishing the written assessment plus the small formatting error. Nevertheless, I suppose it’s a holistic thing and maybe two smaller parts shouldn’t impact your entire performance unless they really decide to be nitpicky.
    If you are still on the scheme put your energies into your remaining tasks/work/talks rather than worrying about this. You’ll need to develop this skill for the future career as a lawyer - many times you just need to leave the worry behind and focus on the next important thing.

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    If you are still on the scheme put your energies into your remaining tasks/work/talks rather than worrying about this. You’ll need to develop this skill for the future career as a lawyer - many times you just need to leave the worry behind and focus on the next important thing.
    Thank you! That is kind of the motto I followed. Hopefully it works out.

techny13

Oct 29, 2020
    Hi Jessica, was wondering how viable you think it would be for me to apply directly to TCs this summer without any legal experience (other than a few InsideSherpa virtual schemes)? I graduated last year in a non-law degree from a top Russell Group uni and have been working in another commercial job (consulting) since. I do have one vac scheme lined up for this summer but would be submitting my TC applications before the vac scheme, so aware that my applications would lack solid legal experience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, was wondering how viable you think it would be for me to apply directly to TCs this summer without any legal experience (other than a few InsideSherpa virtual schemes)? I graduated last year in a non-law degree from a top Russell Group uni and have been working in another commercial job (consulting) since. I do have one vac scheme lined up for this summer but would be submitting my TC applications before the vac scheme, so aware that my applications would lack solid legal experience.
    You will have solid legal experience before starting a TC though, so I wouldn’t worry about this at all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm sorry to have intervened but I think the person is asking if he/she still has a chance at getting the TC via the Direct TC route even with a lack of legal experience
    What I was trying to say was that they will have solid legal experience in the form of their vacation scheme by the time they start their TC (and probably even before they are offered a TC), so there wouldn’t be a “lack” of anything.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.