Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would it be alright to talk about how I fit in (with specific examples) with the values of the firm? They recently underwent a rebrand and talk a lot about their values which is not something I've touched on in a huge amount of detail in the application form.
Yes - that’s fine. I’d just keep it brief and maybe focus on 3 values, rather than trying to show you have all of them. I’d probably remove it from your other sections though as it could again just be unnecessary repetition.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Hope you are doing well!

To demonstrate 'substantial improvement' since my last application to a firm, does merely stating the fact that I have secured a new job suffice, or is it better to provide detail on what I do in my role? I won't be starting my job until the application deadline has passed but the firm limits the number of times a candidate can apply. So, I 've been contemplating as to whether to submit my application now without any detail on the role, or to wait til the next recruitment year when I'd have started working.

Thank you :)
Sorry for missing this post.

I’d probably wait until the next application cycle based on what you have said, as it will be the content of what you do rather than the achievement of getting the job that will be make it substantial or not.

San

Standard Member
Jun 27, 2021
Hii,

I am unable to understand the reasonings behind the SJT answers provided below.

I have to take the test soon and I got both answers wrong, which is making me really anxious. Any help on the reasoning and approach to these questions is appreciated.

The correct 'most effective' and 'least effective' responses to the scenario are shown below:

1. Scenario: You have recently joined X and have been working in your current seat for the last six weeks. You are working with a Partner and have been heavily involved in conducting research and managing all of the documents for a particular case. As such, the Partner invites you along to a client meeting as a learning opportunity. During the meeting, the client asks the Partner a question, which you feel you can answer due to your research on the case. However, you are aware that the Partner has not yet been briefed on this aspect of the case and may not know the answer. The Partner informs the client they will need to review the information after the meeting and will get back to them with an answer.

Most Effective: Not wanting to undermine the Partner in front of the client, put forward a suggestion on the answer that the Partner can expand upon with their expertise.

Least Effective: Being careful not to interrupt the flow of the meeting, you pass the Partner a note with the information in order to help them remain in control.

Sadly, I selected the least effective as the most effective for this one.

The correct 'most effective' and 'least effective' responses to the scenario are shown below:

2. Scenario: Since you arrived at work today, you have been very busy working on your current project, which had a deadline of 2pm. Now you have completed this task, you check your e-mails and notice that earlier in the day an Associate had e-mailed all the trainees in the group to ask for help. You do not see any replies to the e-mail, but then you may not have been copied in on them. You still have a number of important tasks to complete by the end of the week.

Most Effective: Speak to the Associate and explain that you are very busy this week. However, offer to help them next week when you have more availability.

Least Effective: Ask some of your colleagues who were on the original request and see whether they have already helped the Associate.

Sadly, I selected the least effective as the most effective and vice-versa for this one.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hii,

I am unable to understand the reasonings behind the SJT answers provided below.

I have to take the test soon and I got both answers wrong, which is making me really anxious. Any help on the reasoning and approach to these questions is appreciated.

1. Scenario: You have recently joined X and have been working in your current seat for the last six weeks. You are working with a Partner and have been heavily involved in conducting research and managing all of the documents for a particular case. As such, the Partner invites you along to a client meeting as a learning opportunity. During the meeting, the client asks the Partner a question, which you feel you can answer due to your research on the case. However, you are aware that the Partner has not yet been briefed on this aspect of the case and may not know the answer. The Partner informs the client they will need to review the information after the meeting and will get back to them with an answer.

Most Effective: Not wanting to undermine the Partner in front of the client, put forward a suggestion on the answer that the Partner can expand upon with their expertise.

Least Effective: Being careful not to interrupt the flow of the meeting, you pass the Partner a note with the information in order to help them remain in control.

Sadly, I selected the least effective as the most effective for this one.

2. Scenario: Since you arrived at work today, you have been very busy working on your current project, which had a deadline of 2pm. Now you have completed this task, you check your e-mails and notice that earlier in the day an Associate had e-mailed all the trainees in the group to ask for help. You do not see any replies to the e-mail, but then you may not have been copied in on them. You still have a number of important tasks to complete by the end of the week.

Most Effective: Speak to the Associate and explain that you are very busy this week. However, offer to help them next week when you have more availability.

Least Effective: Ask some of your colleagues who were on the original request and see whether they have already helped the Associate.

Sadly, I selected the least effective as the most effective and vice-versa for this one.
SJTs are not standardised. They will be bespoke to individual organisation and therefore what could be the least effective for one organisation could be the most effective for the next.

However, my thoughts on the situations are:

Scenario 1: There doesn’t seem to be any urgent need to answer the question in the meeting. You are choosing to input into the answer after the meeting (which is likely to be more thorough) and get to work with the partner in the process, and provide a more thorough and considered answer in the process.

The least effective answer sounds a bit basic - are you really going to be able to communicate effectively my passing a note to the partner? It sounds like the client could see the process of you passing the note. Is this really professional? The partner is going to have to read it, and understand it, you are also going to have to write it. Is it realistic for you to write something up quickly and for the meeting not to proceed on while you do this?

Scenario 2: Put simply, go directly to the associate. If you spoke to other people on the email list to ask who responded, they equally don’t know who else responded. So you end up talking to multiple people, when you only need to speak to one. So it the most effective answer will be much quicker and much more accurate option - you are getting the answer from the horse’s mouth rather than by hearsay. You also get to build a point of contact with the associate that could lead to work next week. That won’t happen if you just speak to other people on the email.

San

Standard Member
Jun 27, 2021
Thanks, this helps.

With respect to the most effective answer for the first scenario, I assumed that it meant to put forward the suggestion to the partner in the same client meeting. I say this because there was another option of talking to the partner directly after the meeting and also because the option says to put forward a suggestion on the answer that the Partner can expand upon with their expertise.

Do you think this meant to put forward the suggestion after the meeting?

Appreciate your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks, this helps.

With respect to the most effective answer for the first scenario, I assumed that it meant to put forward the suggestion to the partner in the same client meeting. I say this because there was another option of talking to the partner directly after the meeting and also because the option says to put forward a suggestion on the answer that the Partner can expand upon with their expertise.

Do you think this meant to put forward the suggestion after the meeting?

Appreciate your help!
I don't think that is how it was meant to be interpreted. It says you don't want to undermine the partner, and you would do this if you contradict what the partner has already said (e.g. they will look into it and come back to them after the meeting). You are undermining what the partner has just said by the trying to answer the question in the meeting.

The partner will expand with their expertise after the meeting in "the answer". You are basically forcing the partner to then respond in the meeting and clearly the partner doesn't want to do that. By choosing the most effective answer, you are inputting into "the answer" back to the client which will be much more thorough and considered, as it will include your work and the partners expertise in a considered way (not rushed in a meeting).

k.k

Apr 29, 2021
Hi Jessica,
On the Sullivan & Cromwell application it requires a CV and covering letter (including a full classification and percentage breakdown of all academic results). Would this breakdown of results be best placed in the CV and would it be all uni grades so far or also A Levels and GCSEs?
Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
On the Sullivan & Cromwell application it requires a CV and covering letter (including a full classification and percentage breakdown of all academic results). Would this breakdown of results be best placed in the CV and would it be all uni grades so far or also A Levels and GCSEs?
Thanks!
Yes - best placed on the CV. I would include A-levels and all uni modules results. GCSEs are unlikely to be needed unless the firm explicitly asks for them.

Reactions: k.k

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I hope you are well.

I recently had a post-TC-interview feedback call and I found some of the comments to be a bit odd. I was asked by the HR during the call as to whether I felt the comments were a fair representation. I said 'yes' as I didn't have sufficient time to really process all the information. However, after taking the time to digest the feedback, I feel like I wasn't really assessed fairly in relation to several criteria (I take no issue with the firm's ultimate decision). Could I pm you with the specific details to see if this is an issue that should be raised, if at all?

Thank you very much.
Yes - feel free to PM me

Bee6

Star Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am currently completing Freshfields’ TC application form. I am currently a second year student going into my final year. In the education section (Education 1), it asks me to list my Degree name and anticipated graduation date. But under the same Education 1 section, it asks me to select the Education Level (Achieved). I have not completed my degree and the form is not letting me put a ‘–‘ or ‘N/A.’ Do I just put in A Level for this section?

Bee6

Star Member
Jan 1, 2021
I've just seen a 'No Final Certificate' and 'Other' selection I can pick - do I use one of these? Thank you :)
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am currently completing Freshfields’ TC application form. I am currently a second year student going into my final year. In the education section (Education 1), it asks me to list my Degree name and anticipated graduation date. But under the same Education 1 section, it asks me to select the Education Level (Achieved). I have not completed my degree and the form is not letting me put a ‘–‘ or ‘N/A.’ Do I just put in A Level for this section?

Bee6

Star Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi Jessica, me again, sorry for having so many questions!

For Freshfields' direct TC application, should I mention under the work experience section that I have a TC offer from another firm following that firm's VS? And should I mention (also under the work experience section) that I was unable to accept a VS offer at another firm?

Thanks! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, me again, sorry for having so many questions!

For Freshfields' direct TC application, should I mention under the work experience section that I have a TC offer from another firm following that firm's VS? And should I mention (also under the work experience section) that I was unable to accept a VS offer at another firm?

Thanks! :)
When does your offer extend until (e.g. when do you need to accept by)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have just received the contract today, but there was no deadline so I'm assuming by September 2021? But the Freshfields' application deadline is tomorrow.
I wouldn't assume anything, I would try to get clarity from the firm as to when you need to accept by rather than assuming it will be September.

I don't think there is much value in claiming you have a TC offer in an application. If you get invited through to interview, then something to flag but only if you are going to be in a position where you can hold on to that offer and don't need to accept it before your interview happens.

Reactions: Bee6

Bee6

Star Member
Jan 1, 2021
I wouldn't assume anything, I would try to get clarity from the firm as to when you need to accept by rather than assuming it will be September.

I don't think there is much value in claiming you have a TC offer in an application. If you get invited through to interview, then something to flag but only if you are going to be in a position where you can hold on to that offer and don't need to accept it before your interview happens.
Will do - thanks Jessica!

Also, I have not completed my degree at university. Under the 'Education (achieved)' section should I select the option 'No Final Certificate' or 'Others'? There is no written section if I select 'Others', but I will be adding my expected graduation date under this section.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Will do - thanks Jessica!

Also, I have not completed my degree at university. Under the 'Education (achieved)' section should I select the option 'No Final Certificate' or 'Others'? There is no written section if I select 'Others', but I will be adding my expected graduation date under this section.
Think either will be fine - it will be fairly obvious you haven't graduated by your degree start date.

Reactions: Bee6

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.