Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

ChuPnl

Star Member
Forum Winner
Feb 9, 2021
Hi Jessica,

I co-founded a local sporting association earlier this year (officially registered) and have been drafting our athletes contracts, rights to image contracts, helped with our statutes, organising photo-shoots and recruitment for the upcoming year as we have both a competitive and non-competitive team.

Would I be able to put my role of co-founder as work experience for law firms applications, as it isn't a paid role within a company?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I co-founded a local sporting association earlier this year (officially registered) and have been drafting our athletes contracts, rights to image contracts, helped with our statutes, organising photo-shoots and recruitment for the upcoming year as we have both a competitive and non-competitive team.

Would I be able to put my role of co-founder as work experience for law firms applications, as it isn't a paid role within a company?
Yes!

• 🤝
Reactions: ChuPnl

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I hope you are well.

I reached out to an associate to ask if I could speak with her about her work and she kindly agreed to do so. However, out of the 2-hour timeframe that she is available, I am only available for 15 minutes as the rest of the time is filled with information sessions and another chat that I have already arranged. I would be able to make it a full 30 minutes if I leave a 45-minute information session 15 minutes earlier. Could I ask would it be rude if I ask grad rec whether I can leave 15 minutes earlier to attend the chat with the associate?
I'd personally try to find another time rather than miss the information session - there is a reason it has been put on for you.

Reactions: User12345

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I have a question regarding how to approach/speak to/work with a trainee buddy and mentor during a vacation scheme.

Do you have any advice as to how to stay professional yet show them that I am human and can talk (i.e. show off my personality and humour) without being annoying and excessively present. Also, do you have any general advice as to how to impress them on the VS considering they will definitely feedback to GR.

Also, can you please give advice as to the above if my trainee buddy/mentor is very busy and continuously mentions that. Perhaps, even if they are vacant and miss catch ups/meetings with me.

I would really appreciate your insight and advice here considering your vast experience in graduate recruitment.

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I have a question regarding how to approach/speak to/work with a trainee buddy and mentor during a vacation scheme.

Do you have any advice as to how to stay professional yet show them that I am human and can talk (i.e. show off my personality and humour) without being annoying and excessively present. Also, do you have any general advice as to how to impress them on the VS considering they will definitely feedback to GR.

Also, can you please give advice as to the above if my trainee buddy/mentor is very busy and continuously mentions that. Perhaps, even if they are vacant and miss catch ups/meetings with me.

I would really appreciate your insight and advice here considering your vast experience in graduate recruitment.

Thank you.

In terms of speaking to them, just remember they are like any other human being. They are no differernt to your university lecturers, your parents friends, your friends' parents - you don't need to talk to them any differently than any other person you interact with. They are not special in anyway and they were once in your position. There is no need to put them on a pedestal and treat them any differently.

You'll impress them by delivering good quality work, seeming inquisitive, making the most of the opportunities presented to you, and being self-aware and reflective of your experiences over the period of time you are with the firm.

Unfortunately if they are busy, there isn't much you can do - unfortunately their work will need to be prioritised. Maybe try to connect with other people in your department who can support you with what you are looking for your buddy/mentor to support you with instead.

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
In terms of speaking to them, just remember they are like any other human being. They are no differernt to your university lecturers, your parents friends, your friends' parents - you don't need to talk to them any differently than any other person you interact with. They are not special in anyway and they were once in your position. There is no need to put them on a pedestal and treat them any differently.

You'll impress them by delivering good quality work, seeming inquisitive, making the most of the opportunities presented to you, and being self-aware and reflective of your experiences over the period of time you are with the firm.

Unfortunately if they are busy, there isn't much you can do - unfortunately their work will need to be prioritised. Maybe try to connect with other people in your department who can support you with what you are looking for your buddy/mentor to support you with instead.
Thanks for this @Jessica Booker. In relation to the last point, what do you think would be the best course of action if they missed 2 catch up calls in a row in the sense that they are acting cold and distant rather than being really busy for a 10-20 minute chat. Sorry, I am really giving you an SJT test at the moment😂.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for this @Jessica Booker. In relation to the last point, what do you think would be the best course of action if they missed 2 catch up calls in a row in the sense that they are acting cold and distant rather than being really busy for a 10-20 minute chat. Sorry, I am really giving you an SJT test at the moment😂.
As I said, I’d find someone else to help with whatever you need to talk to them about. If that is something urgent (eg related to your work), speak to your supervisor instead. If it’s just for a general chat, then it isn’t important, so I’d find other trainees to talk to instead.

Reactions: Dwight

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I have an interview for a new paralegal job, I have to analyse a piece of legislation and then give a presentation.
How should I structure my presentation? What's the best way to analyse it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have an interview for a new paralegal job, I have to analyse a piece of legislation and then give a presentation.
How should I structure my presentation? What's the best way to analyse it?
Unfortunately I am probably not the best person to answer this in terms of how to analyse it.

For the presentation, how long do you have to present?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Unfortunately I am probably not the best person to answer this in terms of how to analyse it.

For the presentation, how long do you have to present?
It is 1hour for the test, so I guess 30/40 minutes analysis and 20 minutes presentation..I do not know, they have not been clear about it. I do not want to annoy them after requesting more time because of my dyslexia

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It is 1hour for the test, so I guess 30/40 minutes analysis and 20 minutes presentation..I do not know they have not been clear about it. I do not want to annoy them after requesting more time because of my dyslexia
And I am assuming you won't get the legislation until the day itself?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It will be difficult to give specifc advice, but think about:
  • Who your audience is and apply the lowest common denominator approach (you need to make the content is appropriate for the people with the least knowledge rather than the most). Your instructions may give you some detail on this and your assessors/interviewers may take a "role" as a client or someone else. Be mindful you may have to explain things in layman's terms rather than in technicalities.
  • You will probably over estimate your time rather than underestimate, so prioristise your message - deal with the most important points first, rather than last just in case you run over.
  • You might want to use a quick SWOT analysis if you are being asked to scruntinise the legislation.

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
It will be difficult to give specifc advice, but think about:
  • Who your audience is and apply the lowest common denominator approach (you need to make the content is appropriate for the people with the least knowledge rather than the most). Your instructions may give you some detail on this and your assessors/interviewers may take a "role" as a client or someone else. Be mindful you may have to explain things in layman's terms rather than in technicalities.
  • You will probably over estimate your time rather than underestimate, so prioristise your message - deal with the most important points first, rather than last just in case you run over.
  • You might want to use a quick SWOT analysis if you are being asked to scruntinise the legislation.
Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I was hoping you could clarify the roles and responsibilities that the following members of staff have in a law firm, generally speaking:

1) Director of Administration
2) Business Development Manager

Thank you :)
1) will typically be a senior person responsible for the strategic planning of any “processes” - anything operational (typically outside of IT) that helps make the firm run on a day to day basis. It can often be working with heads of departments like HR and Accounting, and can be responsible for things like managing the firm’s property. Size/scale/range of responsibility though will very much depend on other people at director level.

2) Part of the marketing team and responsible for attracting new clients from a marketing perspective, as well as maintaining relationships with existing clients outside of legal work. That will involve general marketing (eg they are the people who help submit for all the fancy awards people put on applications) - whether that’s digital content, events etc. They also will get involved in pitch exercises processes. Depending on the size of the firm, there could be quite a few BD managers - sometimes broken down into sectors or practice groups.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Holly

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
1) will typically be a senior person responsible for the strategic planning of any “processes” - anything operational (typically outside of IT) that helps make the firm run on a day to day basis. It can often be working with heads of departments like HR and Accounting, and can be responsible for things like managing the firm’s property. Size/scale/range of responsibility though will very much depend on other people at director level.

2) Part of the marketing team and responsible for attracting new clients from a marketing perspective, as well as maintaining relationships with existing clients outside of legal work. That will involve general marketing (eg they are the people who help submit for all the fancy awards people put on applications) - whether that’s digital content, events etc. They also will get involved in pitch exercises processes. Depending on the size of the firm, there could be quite a few BD managers - sometimes broken down into sectors or practice groups.

Such a detailed overview - thank you!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

San

Standard Member
Jun 27, 2021
Hi, I am an International student, applying to a Vac Scheme at HSF. I am struggling with this question, the exact wordings of which are - "Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you." They also mention that - "We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests".

Based on my research so far I've understood that one doesn't need to talk about a law related topic. But what I am really looking for are examples to get me thinking. If someone has successfully attempted this or knows of successful examples please help.

Thanks in advance!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I am an International student, applying to a Vac Scheme at HSF. I am struggling with this question, the exact wordings of which are - "Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you." They also mention that - "We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests".

Based on my research so far I've understood that one doesn't need to talk about a law related topic. But what I am really looking for are examples to get me thinking. If someone has successfully attempted this or knows of successful examples please help.

Thanks in advance!!
Literally seen anything and everything talked about in this answer. Sports, arts, politics, religion, the passion for a charity.

Pick something you are genuinely interested in and that you think you can present an interesting opinion/view on.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.