Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Mea

Star Member
Apr 5, 2019
I’d try to find people who have worked at the firm / who are trainees or recently qualified on LinkedIn and see if they can give you more guidance on what they experienced.

I would also check websites like Glassdoor to see if there are any interview submissions on there (might not be if it is a small firm, but still worth checking).

I’d also look to see if the firm has described its company values on their website (check any “about us” sections on their website). In most cases, interviews will be aligned in some way to the values that the firm has and expects of its people, and so this can be a reasonably good guide to the type of evidence of your skills/qualities/attributes they would like to see in an interview.
You're amazing, thank you Jess!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. I was looking at CC's virtual programs on Forage/Inside Sherpa, turns out there isn't one program but 3 of those; one on Cybersecurity, one on Climate change and one on Business and Human Rights. I'm not too interested in Climate change and cybersecurity to be honest but I'm worried if skipping 2 out of 3 programs hurt my chances in any way. I'm going to make a direct-TC app later this year, so wanted to ask you if this will be perceived negatively if I only talk about completing just one out of the 3 programs, given that as an International student, this is the closest that I can get to experiencing CC from a distance.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. I was looking at CC's virtual programs on Forage/Inside Sherpa, turns out there isn't one program but 3 of those; one on Cybersecurity, one on Climate change and one on Business and Human Rights. I'm not too interested in Climate change and cybersecurity to be honest but I'm worried if skipping 2 out of 3 programs hurt my chances in any way. I'm going to make a direct-TC app later this year, so wanted to ask you if this will be perceived negatively if I only talk about completing just one out of the 3 programs, given that as an International student, this is the closest that I can get to experiencing CC from a distance.

Thanks.
You don’t have to complete any of the programmes. None of them are necessary to apply for a TC at Clifford Chance.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
You don’t have to complete any of the programmes. None of them are necessary to apply for a TC at Clifford Chance.
I guess I'd still want to do one of the three programs because otherwise there will be nothing on my app to justify my interest in CC, since they don't hold a lot of virtual events and there is actually nothing else that I can do. What is your take on completing just one and not three, does it mean that I'm lazy?

Secondly, I have also completed the Linklaters program on Forage, so would it be okay if I include it in my CC app?

Thanks in advance. @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I guess I'd still want to do one of the three programs because otherwise there will be nothing on my app to justify my interest in CC, since they don't hold a lot of virtual events and there is actually nothing else that I can do. What is your take on completing just one and not three, does it mean that I'm lazy?

Secondly, I have also completed the Linklaters program on Forage, so would it be okay if I include it in my CC app?

Thanks in advance. @Jessica Booker
Your interest in CC doesn't need to be attached the their Forage programmes in anyway. Your interest isn't determined by the events you attend, its determined by how you align yourself as an applicant to them as a firm when you apply.

You could do none of their programmes and that wouldn't suggest anything. It definitely wouldn't suggest you are lazy.

Yes - you should include any Forage programmes that are relevant to commercial law on your application - it really doesn't matter who you do them with.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I just wanted to make sure I don't have to declare voluntary unpaid work to my employer? It ends before my employment start date but just wanted to make sure.
If it ends before you start the job, then you wouldn’t have to declare it unless it was on your application form under your work experience section (but then you have declared it anyway).

Reactions: Deleted member 8227
D

Deleted member 8227

If it ends before you start the job, then you wouldn’t have to declare it unless it was on your application form under your work experience section (but then you have declared it anyway).
It wasn't on my application form because I got a place on the scheme after I had applied for the job, so it's fine if I don't tell my employer then?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Applying for paralegal positions in my area currently as I'm keen to build up more commercial/legal experience in advance of the next TC application cycle. I noticed that a number of paralegal vacancies are full-time and permanent, does this particularly matter? Would these positions have any negative impact on my future TC and vac scheme applications? If so, should I only apply for temporary/contract roles?
Permanent roles may make it more difficult to take up vac scheme opportunities as some employers will not allow you to take annual leave to work for another company. That could be the same for contract or temp roles but obviously there is less of a commitment to those roles and the role could be up by the time the vacation scheme comes around.

I generally advise to focus on temp or contract roles if your CV suggests you are aiming for a TC. If a paralegal role is permanent, they want a mid to long term commitment for someone to be in that role, not someone who will be there for less than 18 months and then look to either start their LPC or TC. Firms tend to not care about that for contract roles because of the short term nature of the role.

No role will have a negative impact on your CV/application - any experience is better than none.

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Permanent roles may make it more difficult to take up vac scheme opportunities as some employers will not allow you to take annual leave to work for another company. That could be the same for contract or temp roles but obviously there is less of a commitment to those roles and the role could be up by the time the vacation scheme comes around.

I generally advise to focus on temp or contract roles if your CV suggests you are aiming for a TC. If a paralegal role is permanent, they want a mid to long term commitment for someone to be in that role, not someone who will be there for less than 18 months and then look to either start their LPC or TC. Firms tend to not care about that for contract roles because of the short term nature of the role.

No role will have a negative impact on your CV/application - any experience is better than none.
I see, thanks a lot. I've been offered an interview for a paralegal position, it doesn't specify anywhere whether it's contract or permanent- only that it's "full-time". I have very little commercial or legal experience since I've only just finished university, and I felt like this held me back when I made applications and attended ACs last year. I also want to use the time between now and my TC wisely, especially since I might not have a TC offer until next cycle (which would see me starting in 2024). Shall I take the interview offer and then cross the vac scheme bridge when it comes?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I see, thanks a lot. I've been offered an interview for a paralegal position, it doesn't specify anywhere whether it's contract or permanent- only that it's "full-time". I have very little commercial or legal experience since I've only just finished university, and I felt like this held me back when I made applications and attended ACs last year. I also want to use the time between now and my TC wisely, especially since I might not have a TC offer until next cycle (which would see me starting in 2024). Shall I take the interview offer and then cross the vac scheme bridge when it comes?
Definitely - you have nothing to lose by going to the interview.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, if, for example I'm interning at Linklaters' Indian best-friend firm i.e TT&A and subsequently, my internship at TT&A is one of the three work experiences that I put on my application, can it happen that the Grad Rec team at Linklaters calls up the TT&A to ask how well or how poorly did I do during the internship?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, if, for example I'm interning at Linklaters' Indian best-friend firm i.e TT&A and subsequently, my internship at TT&A is one of the three work experiences that I put on my application, can it happen that the Grad Rec team at Linklaters calls up the TT&A to ask how well or how poorly did I do during the internship?

Thanks
They are unlikely to do that, but it isn’t completely impossible that feedback could be passed on informally. They are most likely to go to the partner in London who works most closely with the Indian firm to see if they know who you are, rather than go to the law firm directly.

However, I this would be exceptionally rare.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I hope you are well.

I was wondering how important it is to ask questions during information sessions/presentations as a vac schemer (the scheme only consists of mock tasks and an AC-style TC interview)? Will not asking any question leads to a vac schemer not being given a TC offer? Often times, I have put up my virtual hand but am unable to ask any question before time runs out (there are quite a number of us on the scheme and some vac schemers ask longer questions). Other times, I genuinely don't have any particular questions. I have always made sure to switch my camera on, smile and nod.

Thank you :)!
Really spooky - you might want to look at this post I made on Sunday!

• ℹ️
Reactions: User12345

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sincere apologies--I am still trying to get the hang of using the forum and didn't notice the post. Thank you for directing me to the post. It is really reassuring and helpful :)
No need to apologise! We have so much content on here it can be hard to navigate at times to find specifically what you are looking for - its why me and and rest of the Forum team are here to help :)

Als

Standard Member
Nov 26, 2020
Hi Jessica, I hope you're doing well. How many minutes would be reasonable for my answer to 'why commercial law'? Currently my answer is 4-5 minutes long (partly because I have a change of career that I feel I should justify). 4-5 min feels quite long to me but I wanted to ask if that is common in interview or whether I should try to cut it down, and if so how many minutes would you suggest as a maximum? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I hope you're doing well. How many minutes would be reasonable for my answer to 'why commercial law'? Currently my answer is 4-5 minutes long (partly because I have a change of career that I feel I should justify). 4-5 min feels quite long to me but I wanted to ask if that is common in interview or whether I should try to cut it down, and if so how many minutes would you suggest as a maximum? Thanks!
It does sound quite long if it is 5 minutes (not so bad if it is only 4) - usually 2-3 minutes can be sufficient. But I wouldn’t really - there isn’t a maximum and if you feel you have to justify the career change that will naturally make it longer.

Ole1999

Star Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jun 5, 2020
Hi Jessica, what is your opinion on virtual backgrounds on Zoom for an AC? The wall behind me in my room has a mirrored wardrobe so I need to hide it by using a virtual background.

Does it look a bit naff to have one of those office backgrounds on the zoom call or should I just stick to “blurring” the background? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, what is your opinion on virtual backgrounds on Zoom for an AC? The wall behind me in my room has a mirrored wardrobe so I need to hide it by using a virtual background.

Does it look a bit naff to have one of those office backgrounds on the zoom call or should I just stick to “blurring” the background? Thanks!
Just stick to fuzz it/blur it out rather than go with a background - its an option on Zoom and Teams when you go to your video settings.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.