Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker, hope you are doing well. I wanted to ask you, if the firm comes across a borderline candidate and gives him/her a TC offer, what all terms can the offer be made contingent on?

Thanks.
The terms would be the same as any candidate, no matter how strong they are.

Typical terms include passing professional qualifications (sometimes a firm might have a particular standard like a commendation), not bringing the firm's name into disrepute, passing all reference checks, and if you have not completed your undergraduate degree, achieving a 2.1 or equivalent.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have a question regarding the LPC. If I sit an LPC exam in August 2021 and only receive the results in October 2021, would I be able to start a training contract in September 2021? I'm not sure what the rules are in terms of when firms can hire someone who has done the LPC but hasn't received confirmation of passing. Thanks!
You would typically need the results before starting for most firms. If you are in this situation, you need to speak to your firm. There is a chance they could defer your start date. They may make an exception, especially if you have all your other module results, but if the August sitting is because of a resit, they maybe more cautious.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica- I have a slightly pedantic query.

For one of my upcoming summer vacs, I had to complete a residency form(it only consisted of 3 questions). The deadline was May 7, but I had no idea, would this be an issue? Completed it recently and told the firm why I couldn't do it by the deadline. I'm just concerned it may impact my space, but I suppose this is irrational.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica- I have a slightly pedantic query.

For one of my upcoming summer vacs, I had to complete a residency form(it only consisted of 3 questions). The deadline was May 7, but I had no idea, would this be an issue? Completed it recently and told the firm why I couldn't do it by the deadline. I'm just concerned it may impact my space, but I suppose this is irrational.
I don’t really know the nature of the form.

Are you an international student?

What questions did it ask?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) not an international student

2) Just asked me where I would like to receive the firm's communication to(address wise, I assume this is for firm materials/merch), coupled with my country of residency.
Then it shouldn’t be a problem. Sounds like they are just working how where to send kit to you.

Try to get it to them today if possible.

k.k

Apr 29, 2021
Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if you would be able to assist on this quetsion "What distinguishes you from the other applicants applying for this position?" (250 words).
I was struggling with what to mention but have discussed the different types of legal work experience completed and skills from part time student job.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if you would be able to assist on this quetsion "What distinguishes you from the other applicants applying for this position?" (250 words).
I was struggling with what to mention but have discussed the different types of legal work experience completed and skills from part time student job.

I would try to be quite selective with this. Your evidence can support this, but I think you have to be clear how you think this evidence will make you stand out (eg knowledge, skills, attitudes etc)

Reactions: k.k

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

For vac scheme pre employment checks of proof of address, if I want to use my bank statement, am I allowed to blank out my transactions and account balance from the bank statement? Thank you :)
I rarely actually see the documents provided as it is usually another HR team or outsourced company that organising it all, so I can't say whether people do this a lot or not.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about transactions though - they really aren't bothered about the transactions (and won't look at them). They are just looking for confirmation of the address. If you were concerned, you could always provide another bit of correspondence from the bank or sometimes your bank will allow you to provide a shorter statement (for instance, I can log into my online banking and download statements for specific periods of time). You might also be able to provide other documents like a utility bill if you don't want to provide a bank statement.

If you are still worried, then maybe just speak to your point of contact who has requested the details to ask whether it is ok to do this.

Reactions: nina_123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm about to graduate and currently have no TC offer. What do you think is the best way to spend my time? I was thinking I'd start hunting for paralegal positions and general legal work experience as that's a tried and tested route and one of my professors advised me to do so, is that a good idea? Will it have any negative impact on the SQE and my future VS/TC applications?
Yes - very good idea in my opinion. Your other main option would be further education, which could be costly and also not necessarily build your skill set/application. If you do struggle with legal work experience, then there are lots of other graduate entry level jobs that will help develop your skill set too that I wouldn’t say to completely disregard.

Reactions: M777

CK74

Sep 14, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker, hope that you're well! I had a phone interview on 22nd April and was told on the phone that I'd hear back mid-May. I haven't yet heard anything so I'm planning on emailing to chase - do you think it would be okay to email today or should I wait until the end of the week? I don't want to seem too pushy as they've likely had a lot of applications but obviously I'm very interested in the firm and want to show it! Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, hope that you're well! I had a phone interview on 22nd April and was told on the phone that I'd hear back mid-May. I haven't yet heard anything so I'm planning on emailing to chase - do you think it would be okay to email today or should I wait until the end of the week? I don't want to seem too pushy as they've likely had a lot of applications but obviously I'm very interested in the firm and want to show it! Thank you
I’d wait until Friday morning. Sometimes these things can take a little longer than expected. You might want to call rather than email as your more likely to get a response then, while it could take a week or so just for someone to come back to your email.

CK74

Sep 14, 2020
I’d wait until Friday morning. Sometimes these things can take a little longer than expected. You might want to call rather than email as your more likely to get a response then, while it could take a week or so just for someone to come back to your email.
fab, thank you! good idea - will give them a ring on Friday if I haven't heard by then

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker is it okay to allude to your age in an application answer? eg "I'm young but I managed to do some very impressive things" ...
You can - there is nothing stopping you and some people go one step further and even declare their age.

My point would be more about whether it is necessary to do it or not. The “I’m young” doesn’t really add anything you your answer - the “I have managed to do some impressive things” is enough.

Reactions: JoeyTr

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    You can - there is nothing stopping you and some people go one step further and even declare their age.

My point would be more about whether it is necessary to do it or not. The “I’m young” doesn’t really add anything you your answer - the “I have managed to do some impressive things” is enough.
    thank you! ps don't think it's said enough but really appreciate everything you do for the forums (y)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Holly and Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.