Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Afternoon Jessica,

I've just received the Dechert VI and I'm in two minds about whether I should do it or not. On one hand, I want to give myself as many chances as possible with different law firms, as I only have one VS lined up and two other Direct TC interviews, but that is no guarantee of anything.

On the other, I've looked at the dates of their VS and they clash with exams that I simply cannot miss. I didn't know when I applied for the summer VS that I wouldn't be able to make the scheme as I hadn't yet started the LPC and my exam dates had not been released, and I am still quite keen on the firm.

Personally, I'd like to get in touch with them to ask them what they would advise me to do, but there is no phone number available, only an email, and I think that I probably wouldn't get a response before the time limit on the VI runs out given how busy all law firm recruitment departments have been this year.

What would you do in my situation? Obviously there is no guarantee I'd even be invited to the AC, but should I take a punt at the VI or just send an email declining and setting out my reasons?

Personally, i’d email anyway. There's no harm in doing so and at least it shows trying to engage with the process.

I'd then try to find out if people have converted to TC processes if they haven't been able to do the vac scheme.

Id’d then think about how much of a priority this firm was compared to the firms I am at in process with. If it was at the top, is probably be more committed, if it wasn't, then I might not bother.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Personally, i’d email anyway. There's no harm in doing so and at least it shows trying to engage with the process.

I'd then try to find out if people have converted to TC processes if they haven't been able to do the vac scheme.

Id’d then think about how much of a priority this firm was compared to the firms I am at in process with. If it was at the top, is probably be more committed, if it wasn't, then I might not bother.

So I've emailed, as you suggested.

On the website it says that they don't recruit except through the Vacation Scheme so I'm not really expecting much of a positive response.

But always worth a try, isn't it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So I've emailed, as you suggested.

On the website it says that they don't recruit except through the Vacation Scheme so I'm not really expecting much of a positive response.

But always worth a try, isn't it!
    Sounds like email, don't do the VI and see if they come back with something more positive. Not sure there is much else worth while doing if they only take from VS.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you, full time is a little risky as I'd be concurrently writing up my DPhil and wanted to leave time to apply for other jobs if I don't get a TC next year. I thought the PGDL is meant to let you qualify via either route? My thought was that if I get an offer in the first year part time, I wouldn't have lost much time as the firm will either make me finish the part time course or start an SQE prep course without finishing the PGDL?

I suppose what I tried to ask was do you think applying as a PGDL student will be much more convincing regarding commitment, since I have no office or any formal work experience? I realise there are other ways to prove this (like my workshops), but since if I do the PGDL online I can do it concurrently with finishing up my DPhil it wouldn't be such a big sacrifice for me.
    The PGDL isn't needed for the SQE route in terms of a qualification. It just helps you gain knowledge that could help you pass SQE 1 (but only if it is designed as a course to support you to do it).

Basically the paper qualification is worthless if you take the SQE. The knowledge you would gain isn't.

I don't know what the firms you are planning to apply to are doing. But that's a lot of money to waste on doing half a GDL to only then have go convert to a SQE prep course.

The GDL on its own has never really been a guaranteed way of showing your commitment to a career in law. That is going to come much more from the rest of your application.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Adrian_Healey

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Sounds like email, don't do the VI and see if they come back with something more positive. Not sure there is much else worth while doing if they only take from VS.

Yeah that's what I thought. I have until the 28th to do it, so hopefully that'll leave enough time (although the fact that it's the weekend is a bit unnerving) for them to get back to me!

Thanks for your amazing advice as always. I genuinely believe I could not have made it through so many applications without your input!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessice Booker, if I'm applying for a job that just asks for a CV, is it worth putting a profile on it addressing the requirements e.g. available to start immediately
    Yes - keep it very brief, don't let it repeat any detail in your CV, and avoid listing a whole loads of qualities/competencies.

Reactions: Deleted member 8227

botticelli

Feb 14, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker! For an upcoming vacation scheme, I have been asked to fill out a conflict check form. One of the questions asks me to list all the clients for whom I have provided legal work. The only legal work I've completed is on vacation schemes, and I'm concerned that giving details of these clients would breach the confidentiality clause of those vacation scheme contracts. Additionally, all of the work I have completed on vacation schemes has been for internal use / pro bono / administrative in nature (e.g. running red lines) so I'm not even sure that I would have anything that counts as 'legal work' for this purpose. Would grad rec mind if I called and explained the situation / asked for their advice? I want to fill out the form properly, but also don't want to come across as antagonistic / difficult / stupid 😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker! For an upcoming vacation scheme, I have been asked to fill out a conflict check form. One of the questions asks me to list all the clients for whom I have provided legal work. The only legal work I've completed is on vacation schemes, and I'm concerned that giving details of these clients would breach the confidentiality clause of those vacation scheme contracts. Additionally, all of the work I have completed on vacation schemes has been for internal use / pro bono / administrative in nature (e.g. running red lines) so I'm not even sure that I would have anything that counts as 'legal work' for this purpose. Would grad rec mind if I called and explained the situation / asked for their advice? I want to fill out the form properly, but also don't want to come across as antagonistic / difficult / stupid 😂
    I think it would count as legal work.

But if you want to discuss this with grad rec, then do so. I don’t think it is breaking client confidentiality if you are naming the client alone (rather than explaining the matters you worked on).

A firm is unlikely to ask for this information if they knew it broke client confidentiality - but no harm in speaking to Grad Rec about it.

Reactions: botticelli

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi Jess,

I hope you are well.
    I received an offer of employment at a london firm, and today I was emailed my contract. I should probably clarify that this is not for a training contract but rather a support role (administrator).

I have some travel/holiday plans already in place for later on in the year, and wanted to ask you if I should contact the firm to let them know of this so that they can guarantee me this time off before I sign the contract?

I know that employers usually ask if their future employees have any planned holidays but in this case this hasn’t been brought up and I want to make sure that I will be able to take this time off.

As this time off is extremely important to me, how do you think it is best to word it when I reach out to them to let them know of this? I just want them to confirm that I will be able to have this time off.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess,

I hope you are well.
    I received an offer of employment at a london firm, and today I was emailed my contract. I should probably clarify that this is not for a training contract but rather a support role (administrator).

I have some travel/holiday plans already in place for later on in the year, and wanted to ask you if I should contact the firm to let them know of this so that they can guarantee me this time off before I sign the contract?

I know that employers usually ask if their future employees have any planned holidays but in this case this hasn’t been brought up and I want to make sure that I will be able to take this time off.

As this time off is extremely important to me, how do you think it is best to word it when I reach out to them to let them know of this? I just want them to confirm that I will be able to have this time off.
    This is not a problem. Just email them with the details and ask whether you can get the dates agreed as time off in the future before you sign the contract.

Note that they still have the right to decline the holiday request, but typically an organisation can work around it (it will just be if it clashes with something important or time already agreed off with the team).

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    This is not a problem. Just email them with the details and ask whether you can get the dates agreed as time off in the future before you sign the contract.

Note that they still have the right to decline the holiday request, but typically an organisation can work around it (it will just be if it clashes with something important or time already agreed off with the team).
    I see, thank you.

Would it make any difference if the time I want off is 3 weeks?

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Possibly - but they will probably just push your start date back and get you to start when your holiday is over (depending on how much time you need off as well).
    I don’t think they will push my start date as I am really supposed to start as soon as possible (in the next couple or so weeks up to a month tops) and the time I need off is in September

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I don’t think they will push my start date as I am really supposed to start as soon as possible (in the next couple or so weeks up to a month tops) and the time I need off is in September
    Sorry read that wrong - thought you said it was in three weeks time.

Three weeks can be tricky. A lot of organisations will only allow two weeks off at a time so it could be at the discretion of your manager. But you might as well ask and see what they say.

Reactions: Lily721
    D

Deleted member 12174

Hi Jessica, I hope you are well.

During my post-AC call with my interviewer, I was too shocked and excited to learn about the outcome and that I forgot to ask for feedback on my performance at the AC. Could I ask if it is appropriate to email Grad Rec for feedback, so that I can address my weaknesses before the scheme actually commences?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I hope you are well.

During my post-AC call with my interviewer, I was too shocked and excited to learn about the outcome and that I forgot to ask for feedback on my performance at the AC. Could I ask if it is appropriate to email Grad Rec for feedback, so that I can address my weaknesses before the scheme actually commences?

Thank you!
    Yes - that is not a problem at all to ask for feedback.

Crastle

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    Hi Jessica

I had an interview for a paralegal role at a city firm. They said I’d hear back within a few days. After not hearing for a week, I emailed the recruiter asking for an update but received no reply. It’s now been two weeks - I’m not sure if I should send another email? I’d have thought they would at least let me know if I’ve been unsuccessful?
    Should I reach out again or would you assume this is a rejection?
    Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica

I had an interview for a paralegal role at a city firm. They said I’d hear back within a few days. After not hearing for a week, I emailed the recruiter asking for an update but received no reply. It’s now been two weeks - I’m not sure if I should send another email? I’d have thought they would at least let me know if I’ve been unsuccessful?
    Should I reach out again or would you assume this is a rejection?
    Thanks!
    They could easily be out of the office or not have a decision yet. Sometimes these things are delayed.

Give it until Monday next week and then give them a call.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.